Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,002,355 times

Advertisements

This is on cable.
Various restaurants in England are voted on by the public before the production and Ramsay picks the best two in each category and makes them go head to head, cooking for him and for 50 patrons.

I enjoy this show with the objection of, almost each week, Ramsay killing the meat that is to go on the plates.

I hate seeing animals that have family units being shot. First the goose, then the tame reindeer. I mean, the deer actually come to you when called, then you aim and shoot one.

What's with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,488,899 times
Would you rather see scenes of slaughterhouses? Neither image is pleasant, but Ramsay is showing exactly where the meat comes from and he's the one prepared to provide it, not waiting on some stranger to serve it up to him.

We all need to understand where our food really comes from and what is required to get it to us. It might make us more appreciative of what our demands actually mean.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Would you rather see scenes of slaughterhouses? Neither image is pleasant, but Ramsay is showing exactly where the meat comes from and he's the one prepared to provide it, not waiting on some stranger to serve it up to him.

We all need to understand where our food really comes from and what is required to get it to us. It might make us more appreciative of what our demands actually mean.
It makes me feel like an inferior human being, to eat meat - that's what!

I have no problem with fish or chicken, though.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,256,005 times
inferior how?

so chicken is OK / goose is not?

why one bird and not the other?

i have zero problems with this aspect and if anything I can respect a little bit more those who understand where food comes from, the balance between nature and our food demands and people who treat the whole process with respect.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
inferior how?

so chicken is OK / goose is not?

why one bird and not the other?

i have zero problems with this aspect and if anything I can respect a little bit more those who understand where food comes from, the balance between nature and our food demands and people who treat the whole process with respect.
Yeah. I know I am not facing reality. Geese form societies. They form families and are really protective of their young and each other. They have 'jobs' in their formations, too. THe wing guys constantly feed information to the leader, and he back to them. They have guards over the group when they are feeding. Division of labor. If one goes down because of illness on a migration two others will frequently go down with him until he heals enough to resume. There is feeling and concern and intelligence in geese. They frequently mate for life and sometimes when one dies the partner will, shortly after, from loneliness. In some ways, we could learn from them.

Chickens are stupid, prehistoric birds. I remember as a kid how afraid I was to go through a group. They would peck at my toes and hurt. I have no love for chicken 'cept fried, maybe or in a nice stew.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM

that's just the chicken protecting the pack ... similar instincts

i really have no love for cows (except for yummy steaks and all sorts of beef) and other products they can make .... pretty much because growing up around them I've always viewed them as big, dumb, lumbering animals ... much as your feelings on cows

I can tell you though, that deer are about as obnoxious to live around as cows or chickens

either way, what's good for the chicken is good for the goose and I have no objection to eating either of them and understand that for this to happen they must be killed

i can understand the other feelings though .... we tend to be emotional sorts

F Word is a very enjoyable show though

Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,306,695 times
Awww shoot....my Dad used to raise cows. He would name the calves either by cuts of meat or some meal name they would go into. We raised them with love and respect knowing their place in life was to provide food. (Sort of like a tree growing up to be a Christmas tree....).

I don't watch Ramsey because he makes fun of people in a mean way. Other than that, he's an excellent Chef.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM

have you seen the F Word?

it's completely different than hells kitchen and those type of shows .... it shows more of his real personality .... pretty funny guy, has a fairly soft touch, but definitely passionate about what he does

i find it a refreshing break from the yelling/screaming manufactured drama of some of his other shows

The F Word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2011, 12:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,168,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yeah. I know I am not facing reality. Geese form societies. They form families and are really protective of their young and each other. They have 'jobs' in their formations, too. THe wing guys constantly feed information to the leader, and he back to them. They have guards over the group when they are feeding. Division of labor. If one goes down because of illness on a migration two others will frequently go down with him until he heals enough to resume. There is feeling and concern and intelligence in geese. They frequently mate for life and sometimes when one dies the partner will, shortly after, from loneliness. In some ways, we could learn from them.

Chickens are stupid, prehistoric birds. I remember as a kid how afraid I was to go through a group. They would peck at my toes and hurt. I have no love for chicken 'cept fried, maybe or in a nice stew.
OBviously you have never been chased by a Goose...or stepped in a pile of goosecrap

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 3,025,753 times
I've been chased by geese-not fun! I watch the F word almost daily. I've followed the journey of the pigs he and his children raised up to the butchering. Sharon Osbourne was on the show the other day, it was a re-run from a few years ago, watching her eat her first oyster was priceless. I agree about seeing where our food comes from. I'm an animal lover but, I'm also a meat eater. I helped raise calves and pigs many years ago and had a hard time when it came to the butchering, but when you have to eat you do what you have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV