Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,572,499 times

Advertisements

JLO sounded like she was auto-tuned in a major way (and was lip syncing)

I think she is an extremely average singer and at her age, the outfit was completely inappropriate. It reeked of trying too hard, big time. There are lots of ways for a woman to dress that are sexy without appearing as if she is desperate to be much, much younger than she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:38 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,883,695 times
I agree Kittensparkles. The outfit didn't seem right for a 40 something mom. I am not a fan of her singing, but I really like her as a judge.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,761,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Maybe some of it has to do with the fact that the show, in a lot of terms, is irrelevant to some extent. Get into the top 10 and if you're good you'll have a record deal of some sort waiting for you when you're voted off. In past season, the early years, you needed to win that show or be in the top 2 to get a deal, but its not the case anymore.
That's because American Idol is extremely popular now, as it's the most viewed show since it debuted in 2002. Record producers watch this show to see what kind of talent is there. They don't have time to mill around in every coffeehouse or club in this country, so they tune into these shows. Contestants gain more exposure on American Idol to producers than those who spend their whole life singing in coffeehouses and clubs. Whenever a popular contestant is eliminated, producers feel sorry and have no choice but to sign for them. So yeah, anyone who makes it into the finals (at least top 10) are capable of becoming a recording artist. Sometimes, contestants who were eliminated are more popular than those who won. (Think Chris Daughtry and Adam Lambert).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Besides for this season, I haven't felt excited for the show since around Season 2. I have no idea why I typed all this out haha. Just felt like sharing my opinion.
Maybe it's your british beauty, Hollie, who's capturing your heart.

Last edited by Kevroqs; 05-11-2012 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
JLO sounded like she was auto-tuned in a major way (and was lip syncing)

I think she is an extremely average singer and at her age, the outfit was completely inappropriate. It reeked of trying too hard, big time. There are lots of ways for a woman to dress that are sexy without appearing as if she is desperate to be much, much younger than she is.
I just saw a clip of that JLo performance, on the news. They should pair her with Justin Beeper (sp), they could have a prance off, hopefully off the edge of the stage.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:21 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,371,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Calling all Elise fans. Great two-part intelligent interview at TVline with my favorite reviewer, Michael Slezak. I cannot wait to buy this woman's album.

Idology: Elise Testone's Season 11 Exit Interview - TVLine
OOh looks interesting! Elise is another favorite of mine.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,371,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
If makes you feel better, I liked Hollie a heck of a lot more than Skylar. And...I thought Hollie had a great, sweet personality and she showed remarkable strength.

I don't think Philip sounds like Dave Mathews, like everyone else thinks. There's something there, but they are not exactly similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Agree. They're just two singers with a guitar... This doesn't make one the "copy/paste" of the other!
LOL Trust me, it's more than "a guy with a guitar". Give us a little more credit!

It's his voice, his movements, song choices, etc.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,830,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't understand why people can't hear P2's potential for longevity in this industry. Even if you don't particularly like him, you should be able to recognize his talent.

Re: J Lo. She was terrible. That whole performance was vulgar and I'm sorry but she did not sound "live". My opinion of her has really gone downhill since the beginning of this this season.
Agree on both points. P2 is totally unique and a voice which one would recognize immediately without a visual. Although the remaining contestants are certainly highly talented, I wouldn't be able to recognize their voices in a mix.

I've no feelings for JLo as a performer one way or the other but was also totally turned off by her performance. Madonna could always be incredibly sexy without being tacky but that can't be said of JLo and I thought her act was pretty embarrassing.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,263,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Agree on both points. P2 is totally unique and a voice which one would recognize immediately without a visual. Although the remaining contestants are certainly highly talented, I wouldn't be able to recognize their voices in a mix.

I've no feelings for JLo as a performer one way or the other but was also totally turned off by her performance. Madonna could always be incredibly sexy without being tacky but that can't be said of JLo and I thought her act was pretty embarrassing.
You wouldn't be able to recognize Joshua's voice in a mix?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,761,009 times
Check this out. Howard Stern blasts judges Steven, JLO, and Randy on American Idol.

Quote:
I watch American Idol sometimes, and those three judges, they don’t have a word of criticism. And I think that’s selfish. I think you owe it to the contestants to offer criticism… No more of this kind of ‘Oh, everyone’s wonderful.’ Everyone can’t be wonderful.
Howard Stern Blasts American Idol Judges, Calling Them "Selfish" - American Idol

Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,136,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
She looks perpetually cold to me. Absolutely no sex appeal.

While her singing isn't my style, I do like her. Her friendship with Joshua is really cute.
Hollie seemed to me as a very innocent girl next door type.
Kinda sweet and wholesome. I liked that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV