Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM

5,363 posts, read 8,599,627 times

Advertisements

I remain unmoved by Philip.

The only time I liked him was when he did the duet with Elise, "Somebody that I used to know" and that is because its a great song and Elise carried the bulk of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,877,599 times
I didn't DVR last nights show because I was watching it. Unfortunately, I got a call and missed P2's last song. Does anyone know where I might be able to see it?

Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,689,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I didn't DVR last nights show because I was watching it. Unfortunately, I got a call and missed P2's last song. Does anyone know where I might be able to see it?

Thanks a bunch.
Tofurkey just posted it on the previous forum page here is her post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Phillip Phillips in the recording studio performing his coronation single "Home". Copyright © 19 Recordings

No video, just recording

Here's the video...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,937,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just as a little aside, I neither knew of or now even remember the name of the guest performer but what's with all this crotch-grabbing routine that seems to be the "thing" these days with some performers? Reminds me of little boys who suddenly discover their penises and go through a stage of grabbing them. Do these guys have crabs or is this crotch grabbing of some deep significance I'm unaware of. Please educate this old broad!!!
OK, I know this was a smidge off topic but does anyone have the answer to the question or should I google "performers crotch-grabbing"?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,249,581 times
I think it's related to an ancient rituals of guys checking their zippers to make sure their flys are not open. Then adopted by rappers wearing their pants low and boxer shorts, making sure their mmmmm 'parts' were where they were supposed to be.

Then a trait used by Michael Jackson for obviously some unknown reason. So, a couple of weeks ago the petite phenomena that Tina Fey can see from the 'Saturday Night Live' stage, Justin Beiber was on Idol. I think he was doing a Michael Jackson tune - or maybe one of his own, who the hell would know. The tune involved some (what some would call) dance moves but was more like hurky jurky, including the pecker poke as adopted from Michael Jackson. I commented in a post the 'he couldn't even do that right.'

Or in ten words or less... It's a pop music effect to make the girls scream.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM

637 posts, read 1,031,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I loved P2s last song so much that I watched it again this morning. All season I have not been that crazy about him, but that last song was amazing. I'm thinking now that once he has his surgery, and he's even better than now that I would possibly buy his CD.

I really thought Jessica had it until she blew it with her last song. What a horrible song choice for her!
Pretty much ditto for me.

P2 is an interesting guitar player, I played along on my guitar
P2 did Stand By Me in key of G, very simple tune but
I noticed he seemed to use diminished chords on it, very nice.
That last song Jessica did was horrific, not a good song
she sang it in Bflat, she has a really great voice but not so
nice sounding when she sings higher notes, kinda screamy

Anyway, I donèt care who wins, both deserve it

Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM

18,968 posts, read 11,654,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
That last song Jessica did was horrific, not a good song she sang it in Bflat, she has a really great voice but not so
nice sounding when she sings higher notes, kinda screamy
I agree, I like how clear and high she can sing when she's softer but she sounded way more screamy last night than usual.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,877,599 times
Thanks so much to Tofurkey and SunnyKayak. WoW!!!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,269,095 times
Quote:
I think it's related to an ancient rituals of guys checking their zippers to make sure their flys are not open. Then adopted by rappers wearing their pants low and boxer shorts, making sure their mmmmm 'parts' were where they were supposed to be.

Then a trait used by Michael Jackson for obviously some unknown reason. So, a couple of weeks ago the petite phenomena that Tina Fey can see from the 'Saturday Night Live' stage, Justin Beiber was on Idol. I think he was doing a Michael Jackson tune - or maybe one of his own, who the hell would know. The tune involved some (what some would call) dance moves but was more like hurky jurky, including the pecker poke as adopted from Michael Jackson. I commented in a post the 'he couldn't even do that right.'

Hope that helps.
Michael Jackson stated in an interview with Oprah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BKrKjEK8LU) back in the early 90's that he grabbed his crotch sometimes without even knowing it. He said he would just "become" the music and during certain parts of a driving bass he'd just grab his crotch. Never intended it to be a dance or some type of hidden message, just something the rhythm caused him to do. If you notice in his Motown 25 Billie Jean Performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4AVWPMK_U), he started the song off with his hand on his crotch (after he puts on hat and starts dancing). Just became a (weird) habit.

I think the move has developed through the years, as weird as it may seem. I know a lot of rappers grab their crotch to as a sign as their "big ****" and "top dog". But, as far as Jason Derulo last night, a guy who isn't a rapper, I don't know why he does it. But, if you notice, most black R&B artists all usually say their inspired by Michael Jackson and all, in some way shape or form, emulate Michael Jackson, so maybe that's why the whole grabbing of the crotch continues.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,937,449 times
Quote:

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Michael Jackson stated in an interview with Oprah (
Why does Michael Jackson grab his crotch? - YouTube) back in the early 90's that he grabbed his crotch sometimes without even knowing it. He said he would just "become" the music and during certain parts of a driving bass he'd just grab his crotch. Never intended it to be a dance or some type of hidden message, just something the rhythm caused him to do. If you notice in his Motown 25 Billie Jean Performance (
MICHAEL JACKSON - BILLY JEAN LIVE @ MOTOWN 25 - YouTube), he started the song off with his hand on his crotch (after he puts on hat and starts dancing). Just became a (weird) habit.

I think the move has developed through the years, as weird as it may seem. I know a lot of rappers grab their crotch to as a sign as their "big ****" and "top dog". But, as far as Jason Derulo last night, a guy who isn't a rapper, I don't know why he does it. But, if you notice, most black R&B artists all usually say their inspired by Michael Jackson and all, in some way shape or form, emulate Michael Jackson, so maybe that's why the whole grabbing of the crotch continues.
Many thanks for the explanations. So it's one of those dumb-arse things that start off as a signature by someone (Mj) who just did it "naturally" and then segued into a "cool move" adopted by the masses which then segued into something really dumbly contrived. Got it!

Still looks to me like they have crabs or else their appendage is such a teeny weeny that they're checking to make sure it's still there ...

As far as the grand finale is concerned, kudos to whoever wins the crown but I'll be watching P2 in the future and Jessica won't be in my sights. She's cute, she has a phenomenal voice which has a long way to go but, although she has a great future ahead of her, her appeal eludes my taste. Adele reaches me, Jessica just doesn't.

P2 has a very special distinctive something which I find immensely appealing. An earlier poster said he liked watching him singing but, when he closed his eyes he didn't find P2 very different from many others. I disagree. I did the same closed-eye "test" and found that his voice and its nuances were incredibly distinctive.

Where his "grimaces" are concerned and which some have commented upon as being a negative and attributable to his stretching for notes beyond his limited range, all I can say is nonsense. The finest musicians both classical and pop have and do historically grimace while performing.

You certainly don't (obviously) see that on a sound recording but you most certainly see it in a live performance if you're up front or on a CD video recording. I honestly don't know any legitimate musician who doesn't get so much into his or her music who doesn't feel it so deeply that the world goes away and their body simply reacts to the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV