Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I still crack up everytime I see this thread title!
Glad to be of service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
This show has run its course. Nothing new. They always find just the PERFECT house after 2 duds, there is always some horrible catastrophe in the rehab and the new house budget is wrecked. Why even say a budget if nobody is willing to stay within it.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM

My issue is that all the manufactured drama that they put so much effort into takes away from what could actually be a good show.

We know that before the show is taped, the couple has already had a large remodel/re-design, and some of them have already decided to list their house and move. Hilary probably didn't do the hands-on re-design. But whether Hilary actually designed the remodels or just consulted, the remodels are pretty significant. They usually made at least two major design changes and one major structural or mechanical change (the inevitable "surprise" problem).

So why not just have a show about making major design changes to your house along with a major structural or mechanical change? Why bother pretending that they wanted to make 5-6 big design changes that never happened because of the "surprise" mechanical or structural problem? The fake drama doesn't make it any more interesting, and actually makes most of us NOT like the show. But most of us DO seem to want to see big remodel projects.

If they could weed out all that crap, we could have a very interesting "whole house remodel" show, and then maybe the "surprise" at the end could be whether they decided to move or not. We don't want suspense and drama; we want to see houses get remodeled. Period.

I think these shows hire the wrong focus groups. I would contend that the core HGTV audience is not the "Real Housewives," "Honey Booboo," or "Kardashians" audience, but the producers seem to really want to push manufactured-drama reality shows over actual educational design/remodel shows.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM

451 posts, read 769,534 times
This is one of those shows I can only watch if I'm in the mood to yell at the TV. Granted, I haven't seen many episodes, but all the ones I've seen are the same. You have too many people in too small a house that was designed like a kindergarten art project - no function and little form. You wonder how in the name of unicorns and rainbows these people have managed to live in this oddly shaped cracker box for this long and you really start to root for them to find something better. The guy shows them their options, but they nitpick at tiny little "flaws" that really pale in comparison to the four-people-one-tiny-bathroom situation they've got going on right now. Meanwhile, the woman slaps on a coat of paint and a few throw pillows, and now it's time for the big decision. You're screaming at the TV, "LIST IT!! LIST IT, YOU MORONS!!" But, they never do. They decide to stay where they are, even though it's still a hole and they could have had a place with three bathrooms and a yard. WTF?

Last edited by ThatCrazyRedhead; 09-11-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My issue is that all the manufactured drama that they put so much effort into takes away from what could actually be a good show.

We know that before the show is taped, the couple has already had a large remodel/re-design, and some of them have already decided to list their house and move. Hilary probably didn't do the hands-on re-design. But whether Hilary actually designed the remodels or just consulted, the remodels are pretty significant. They usually made at least two major design changes and one major structural or mechanical change (the inevitable "surprise" problem).

So why not just have a show about making major design changes to your house along with a major structural or mechanical change? Why bother pretending that they wanted to make 5-6 big design changes that never happened because of the "surprise" mechanical or structural problem? The fake drama doesn't make it any more interesting, and actually makes most of us NOT like the show. But most of us DO seem to want to see big remodel projects.

If they could weed out all that crap, we could have a very interesting "whole house remodel" show, and then maybe the "surprise" at the end could be whether they decided to move or not. We don't want suspense and drama; we want to see houses get remodeled. Period.

I think these shows hire the wrong focus groups. I would contend that the core HGTV audience is not the "Real Housewives," "Honey Booboo," or "Kardashians" audience, but the producers seem to really want to push manufactured-drama reality shows over actual educational design/remodel shows.
I'm from the "old school", to me there was nothing better than "This Old House"

I too agree with you on this, I am not into drama, not interested. I like designs and ideas, and most of all, like most of us, solutions to decorating and home projects.

The last thing I want to see is two morons kick thru a wall and give each other the high 5, or my all time favorite.....3 people painting the same wall.................um hello, everyone paints different, etc. I know you CD people get me on this....

Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama01 View Post
I have yet to see an episode of this show where Hilary can deliver on her promised renovations. Why is she ALWAYS surprised when the contractors find a major problem that means the homeowners will not get what she has promised? What kind of designer does not thoroughly measure the space and think through the design for adding an additional bedroom or bathroom, etc? Hilary is a joke...........lol
It's all for the drama. They have to keep you from changing the channel, so they coach the homeowners and the hosts to yell at each other, to not know up front that zoning won't permit an addition, that this wall is load bearing, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Whoever said this show has run its course is spot on.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM

But it's precisely that "drama" that makes me CHANGE the channel. And evidently I'm not alone. the HGTV target audience wants info on rehabbing and design, not interpersonal drama.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:30 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Their target audience is the US, but they make these shows in Canada? They keep that information away from the viewers for good reason. Besides the obvious high prices for homes, the fact that the people are in Canada makes it hard for the average US citizen to relate to them. At least with House Hunters, there's a chance that the show will be about a place I might consider moving to as well as a chance the home price would be in our range.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 AM

Yeah, I do get a little annoyed at the Canada-centric POV of this show and others. The prices are way over what most of us in the US are used to, and the odd laws and building requirements seem way more "nanny-state" than what we complain about here. Don't get me wrong, we have it pretty bad too, but it seems that on these Canada-based shows, every time they turn around there's someone with their hand out wanting a fee or wanting to inspect stuff inside their private property. In one episode, they couldn't even remove a tree that was harming the home's foundation, because of some ecological/green law.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Their target audience is the US, but they make these shows in Canada? They keep that information away from the viewers for good reason. Besides the obvious high prices for homes, the fact that the people are in Canada makes it hard for the average US citizen to relate to them. At least with House Hunters, there's a chance that the show will be about a place I might consider moving to as well as a chance the home price would be in our range.
These shows were not made for US audiences, They're Canadian shows that HGTV brought the right to air the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV