Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The show is clearly contrived. I watch it anyway because I usually like the final designs, but what usually chaps my hide is that they spend money on new furniture instead of, say, that half bath upgrade.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it's contrived and dramatized. I think when you're aware of that, the show bugs you less and you just enjoy the outcomes. I love when Hilary (or Jillian, on Love It Or List It Too) walk in and act like they haven't got a clue what's going on and really need their contractor to explain it to them as if they're two years old. haha!! (Obviously, it's for the audience's benefit, because much of the audience doesn't understand construction, but it's comical to me how they do that.) Jillian is an even worse actress than Hilary about it though. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
Jillian is an even worse actress than Hilary about it though. lol

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's now the Love It or List It channel! For a while, it was the House Hunters channel, the Designed to Sell channel, the Curb Appeal channel...
I agree about the idea of spending money to fix up a house you don't want to live in, other than functional stuff that would put people off, is rather unrealistic. If they put the money into the refurb they do in the new house they could have it. If its impossible, like they have three more kids and no bedrooms, then clean it up and sell it for the best you can. My guess is most people do 'work' on the house for themselves, not to sell for more.

Considering its completely staged, I view house hunters as a sort of British comedy. I do like the hour long version when they show the refurb itself, and how often when you open a wall in an older house you may find more than you thought you would. But then there are the ones where they find wireing problems and may in the end glad they knew.

Property brothers is good too. And the brothers are wonderful eye candy

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
I don't watch Design Star, but if the people are as stupid as The Next Food Network Star, consider yourself blessed that you don't suffer through their actual show.

I don't watch either but always see the previews for it on HGTV. They hype them up so much yet never get to show their awesome talents as being a Design Star.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM

12,203 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
Exactly. I feel like they set her up to fail. I've seen someone give her a budget as small as $35,000-$40,000 in the past, which is insane. And of course they want the house done, top to bottom.

Some of the homeowners are so spoiled, unrealistic, and treat her like she's their dog. The way I've seen a couple of them treat her, I wouldn't have blamed Hilary for walking out. I think her "tactlessness" is warranted.

I can't remember a time where I heard something she said, and thought, "Whoa.... out of line there, Hilary." Never. If and when she stands her ground, the homeowner is always standing there giving her unbelievable attitude.

I'm amazed anyone finds Hilary tactless for telling it like it is. I've seen David's search budget increased, but never hers. It may have happened, but not while I was wathcing. Yet, she wins most of the time, if you look it up. Owners decide to love it more often than list it. Reminds me of the saying about Ginger Rogers did everything Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Isn't everyone sick of Hillary always painting the walls gray with the white trim and the dark floors.
It is so cold, and un-inviting and so modern chromatic.
It always looks like a "stage" job
Does not look like something i would want to live in.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
Quote:
Sorry to pull up this old thread, but I was hate watching this show the other day, and I really need something clarified.

If you are unhappy in your home and are even open to consider moving, why would you be spending $20-$50k on renovations? Wouldn't that be a pretty sizable chunk of a down payment on a new home? Oh, I know the show presents it as the money spent on renovations turns into instant equity, so if they decide to sell, they miraculous double their nest egg. But come on. Unless you are a house flipper, have you ever seen your renovations instantly DOUBLE in value? I know I've LOST money on the improvements I made in my house.

I can ignore all the other manufactured drama. I enjoy yelling at the idiot homeowners on TV (hey, it's my stress reliever). I even can pretend that I haven't seen the same formula on every single other episode of this show. But what I cannot ignore is the continued misrepresentation this show (and others like it) renovations are immediate investments. It's bad enough that homogenized tastes (dark hardwood floors, black granite, stainless appliances) have been swallowed by the masses. But fiscal irresponsibility is another issue altogether.

I agree! And another thing is the way the show presents this increase in equity. Sandy and Dave had a house that was worth 450K. They with a reno budget of 75K, their house is now worth 600K, which means that they just made 150K!!! No they didn't. Aside from the fact that SAYING the house is worth 600K is different than SELLING the house for 600K, if you have to spend 75K to make 150K, you only made 75K.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM

122 posts, read 306,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Isn't everyone sick of Hillary always painting the walls gray with the white trim and the dark floors.
It is so cold, and un-inviting and so modern chromatic.
It always looks like a "stage" job
Does not look like something i would want to live in.
LOL, I never noticed this because I use a lot of deep grays with white trim in my home. But no to the dark floors. Too dated, shows too much damage, and if you've ever had a pet, they show every single hair that pet sheds.

But I hear you on the staging look. I really hate non-functional design. The 50,000 pillows on a couch or little decorative vases or some tall faux plant to add height to a room just annoy me. It doesn't say "home" or "lived in" to me.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:59 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
LOL, I never noticed this because I use a lot of deep grays with white trim in my home. But no to the dark floors. Too dated, shows too much damage, and if you've ever had a pet, they show every single hair that pet sheds.

But I hear you on the staging look. I really hate non-functional design. The 50,000 pillows on a couch or little decorative vases or some tall faux plant to add height to a room just annoy me. It doesn't say "home" or "lived in" to me.

Yes, you know exactly what I mean.

Now to me, (and please correct me if I am wrong), but "nic-nacks" and "objects & pictures" in the house are supposed to be personaized & picked out from the homeowner, and have meaning to the home owner, NOT something a designer picks out in a magazine and has it delivered. sets it on a coffee table and call it a day.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Yes, you know exactly what I mean.

Now to me, (and please correct me if I am wrong), but "nic-nacks" and "objects & pictures" in the house are supposed to be personaized & picked out from the homeowner, and have meaning to the home owner, NOT something a designer picks out in a magazine and has it delivered. sets it on a coffee table and call it a day.
[/color]
I like her use of space, thought I'm not a 'open spaces' person. I'm trying to figure out how to put a door ON the kitchen. But she has a good sense of balance in how she lays things out.

I would clear all the stuff, all WAY too bland for me, and get some dark paint immediately before I pronounced the room 'done'. In fact I'd specify dark paint colors. I don't get the sense that she is looking as closely at their tastes than the people on something like Property Brothers, which is becoming my favorite HG show. They look closely at how people arrainge their own stuff and work *with* the homeowners on the details.

I can't stand the agent. I well remember the completly wasted day the agent spent with my ex and I when looking for our house. Yes, they were nice. No, we said a price range, and meant it. Next day she found three, and we bought the first one IN BUDGET. I really dislike the practice of pushing the envelope on cost. My current house I'd been following online and had to ask to see it. Stopped mid reno? fine, since I didn't have to change anything someone thought I should like. I'd tell the agent to stick it and get back in the car the second overpriced place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV