Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 06:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,932,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Ernesto and Gus Fring the same person?
Being that this show takes place approx. 6 years before the events of Breaking Bad, which only encompass two full years, I'd say Ernesto would have had to age about 25 years within less than a decade for that theory to work out properly. Oh, and he'd have had to mysteriously develop an Argentinian accent in that time frame to.

I don't think it adds up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,932,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
That has to be the most idiotic comment I'd ever read on this forum
I'm just say'n... You're going at this like it's actually happening or something.....
Quote:
M'kay, Chuck is an open book and has done nothing against Jimmy that hasn't been made obvious or implied
That's right... because, again, Chuck is not a real person.... lololololol He does not exist beyond the four corners of the script....
Quote:
Oh please, that extremely annoying babysitter would even make Chuck quit if she were hovering over him constantly like she'd been doing with Jimmy. I'm surprised Jimmy lasted as long as he did with her around.

Key words - 'came close'

"Sounds to me.." You just listen to the words but ignore Howard's facial expression when he said "we'll see", and then his facial expression towards Chuck after Chuck says "hmm" and begins flipping through the papers and talking about Mesa Verde...and yet you talk about me not appreciating the nuances of the characters...

If you have a copy of the script then why not share it. I don't have a copy of it, all I have is the show to go off of. "if it isn't in the script, it doesn't exist" .. oy.
In case you didn't know, Gilligan is extremely subtle in how the show is written and filmed. Any subtle shot, offhand/casual/not so casual remark, facial expression, etc., can lead to something important later on, whether it be in the same episode or a later episode.
Take for example, I'd mentioned in an earlier post "Kim is an unknown..literally. There must be something in her background that hasn't surfaced yet", and the response to that comment was [to paraphrase] 'she's not an unknown, we know all about her.' Er, no we don't and I guarantee that her background will eventually come up and it won't be pretty. But I know what you're thinking - it's not in the script so it doesn't exist, eh?

No, what's sad is that a person cannot have one, or more, gripes about what a ******* one of the characters is without being jumped on in a condescending manner. I'm not missing out on the nuances of the characters, or, the crucial element that the show is about Jimmy - it is called Better Call Saul and not Better Call Chuck after all. I do realize that Jimmy is Jimmy and nothing is going to permanently change that, but, I also realize that Jimmy had been trying to change (have you even noticed that Jimmy touches his ring when he feels tempted to backslide? ah, the subtle touches in the writing) and that Chuck had been blocking him at every turn (even though you can't see it). I know that even if Chuck had welcomed Jimmy into the HHM fold with brotherly arms Jimmy would eventually revert back to his normal self. So what if I talk about how Chuck treats Jimmy - big frickin deal, it doesn't mean that I think Jimmy is some choirboy (even though he is nice to the oldies and the innocents) just because I'm talking about how Chuck treats Jimmy instead of how Jimmy is slipping into old his ways, sheesh.
You know what, you should think whatever you want. What ever helps you enjoy the show.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,658,887 times
Y'all are cracking me up - everyone is 'bad' in this show just like Breaking Bad. Just matters of degree.

Jesse was the least bad and so they let him live. Everyone else died. Or went to work in a Cinnebon

Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 PM

24,425 posts, read 12,967,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm just say'n... You're going at this like it's actually happening or something.....

That's right... because, again, Chuck is not a real person.... lololololol He does not exist beyond the four corners of the script....

You know what, you should think whatever you want. What ever helps you enjoy the show.
Ah, I get it now. At first I was wondering why you would get so over-the-top bent because of a few harsh comments about not just a tv show character, but a particular tv show character, so bent that you would resort to condescending attacks towards me. After all, you can read through just about any thread in this particular forum and see harsh comments made by many users of this forum about many different characters in many different tv shows...what is so special about this particular character that set you off??? Then it hit me - you've got a fan crush on Chuckie .. bwahahaaaa

Since Chuckie obviously floats your boat, then, I guess I don't know what to tell you, except to say - leave me out of whatever it is that goes through your mind, I have the same rights as any other user on this forum to bash any tv character I choose. If you can't stand harsh comments about the tv character you have a fan crush on then it's simple - just stop reading my posts.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,873,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Y'all are cracking me up - everyone is 'bad' in this show just like Breaking Bad. Just matters of degree.

Jesse was the least bad and so they let him live. Everyone else died. Or went to work in a Cinnebon

^^same thing. hehe

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,781,282 times
Lol.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:31 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,982,802 times
Default Chuck and his silly "disease" suck

It's time for this series to move into the Saul Goodman phase with more intense dialog and characters.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:29 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,792,654 times
Quote:
Surprised no one mentioned the Jimmy-Chuck relationship as a near-transcript of Amadeus. Chuck is Salieri and Jimmy is Mozart. Salieri was high-culture and Mozart was a heathen. (sound familiar?) Salieri worked his way up steadily and devoutly and Mozart just came out of nowhere and was eons better than Salieri.

When Chuck mentioned Jimmy used to be a aspiring forgerer in his youth by comparing him to Mozart as having started at a young age, right then i knew this script of the brothers' relationship reminded me of the movie Amadeus.

Lastly, who do you think left the note on Mike's car?
Repped you for the analogy. Had not thought of that.

I really enjoy this show. It's a character study, not just about Jimmy. I think the writing is excellent. BB was also about character and I found most of them fascinating, but I could not stand Walter's wife and SIL and I found my dislike of them very distracting. I enjoy all of the characters on this program, good one and bad ones. I imagine that much of the legal stuff is not completely accurate and viewers must realize that how things are done in New Mexico may not apply to their own state.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 PM

24,425 posts, read 12,967,908 times
Quote:
Surprised no one mentioned the Jimmy-Chuck relationship as a near-transcript of Amadeus. Chuck is Salieri and Jimmy is Mozart. Salieri was high-culture and Mozart was a heathen. (sound familiar?) Salieri worked his way up steadily and devoutly and Mozart just came out of nowhere and was eons better than Salieri.

When Chuck mentioned Jimmy used to be a aspiring forgerer in his youth by comparing him to Mozart as having started at a young age, right then i knew this script of the brothers' relationship reminded me of the movie Amadeus.

Lastly, who do you think left the note on Mike's car?
I also agree, and repped you. The Amadeus (my favorite movie) analogy regarding the relationship between the two brothers is spot on.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 24 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,305,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
He also took the time to chat with the oldies and got to know quite a lot about them. Chuck wouldn't have done that. They are nothing but dollar signs to Chuck, unlike Jimmy Chuck could care less how their grand kids are doing, what little trinkets they like to collect, etc. Jimmy has a huge heart when it comes to the oldies.
I didn't see it that way, not as him truly caring about their little concerns. To him that's just a way of earning their trust, a means to an end. Helping the old people get their money back, just an untapped goldmine for fees and a way to score points at his new firm. Not a con, but not anything that shows a 'good heart' either, just a fast easy way to make an advantageous situation for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV