Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 PM

24,771 posts, read 13,163,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think this has been pointed out before, but you can't just lose your license and then reappear as a new lawyer with a new name. It doesn't work that way.

I'll be interested to find out, but there are sanctions less than disbarment. He could have a complaint filed against him and wind up only with a suspension. Any lawyer would consider suspension a major, devastating loss, but they do come back and practice again.

Given that a week ago everyone was wondering if Chuck suffered a fatal or permanently disabling head injury from the fall, they've shown us the ability to keep us guessing, haven't they?
You're right , it doesn't work that way. That's why I think Jimmy will toss a deal on the table and Hamlin, who likes Jimmy and is probably tired of seeing him being screwed over by Chuck, will finally step up and make Chuck agree. Of course Jimmy will probably have to phrase his deal in such a way where they can't come back at him once he turns Saul .. something like I mentioned earlier, he'd say that if they take the deal there will no longer be a Jimmy McGill Esq. (and not say that he'd quit the law and never practice again). If they agree then it would leave him free to change his name, take the bar under the new name and get his law license again and they wouldn't be able to touch him without getting into trouble themselves. (but even if he does say he'll quit and never practice again, once they make the deal to turn their heads the other way then they'd be in trouble, too, if they tried to go after him when he turns into Saul)

I wonder if they will still give him the money they had promised him for that Sandpiper case - nah, they'd probably take it away and just offer him a small one-time bonus instead, to help him get by until he finds a new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Since the doctor already seemed up for committing Chuck, all Jimmy has to do to stop Chuck from making use of the tape, is to sign commitment paperwork and off Chuck goes to the loony bin.

But Jimmy would never do that, so . . .
That would be the way
But like you said, he would never do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:13 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,202,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Jimmy knew the guy was a grifter and said to his dad - “It’s a ripoff. Every grifter in town knows this is the spot for a handout.”. His dad then not only gave the grifter double the dollar amount he was asking for, he also went into the back to find the vehicle part the grifter claimed to need to 'give it to him'.
His dad was a soft touch for a sob story and everyone knew it. What is silly is to believe otherwise. Sure Jimmy took that money, but, I'm betting he ended up feeling bad about it and that's why he never takes (cons) from innocent people. If he'd had no problem with taking money from his dad for decades, as you said, then he wouldn't have thought twice about taking that old lady's last dollar since she was offering it to him and he needed money.
Taking money from a till when no one is around is a whole lot different than taking money from an old lady's own hand. And how many times could a con man con one man? Even a softy would get wise after a few times.

Quote:
Chuck not evil? Well, maybe not evil but he's a hateful and spiteful person. Just a few examples..
When Jimmy worked hard to get his law degree Chuck derided him about it and, among other things, said it wasn't a real degree.
It wasn't a real degree. It was from a diploma mill.

Quote:
After passing the bar, while working in the mailroom at HHM, Jimmy is told that HHM wouldn't hire him as a lawyer..no doubt because of Chuck.
Yeah, that's true. Chuck blocked his path at HHM. After getting him in the mailroom to begin with. He clearly doesn't hate Jimmy, he's just immune to his BS. He knows that Jimmy is a crook. And Jimmy IS a crook.

Quote:
With HHM and the Sandpiper case, Chuck made it so that Jimmy could only sit back and rake in his share of the profits from the Sandpiper case, but he wouldn't be allowed to work on the case
With Davis & Main, Chuck sticks his nose in and suddenly Jimmy has a babysitter.
What? He was working on the case at Davis & Main but he got himself fired because he's not cut out for legitimate, by the book legal work. Because he's a crook. When Chuck doubted the legality of Jimmy's means of procuring clients he was absolutely right. Chuck is ALWAYS right about Jimmy. And he got a babysitter after he put out the ad without running it by his employer. And he knew it was the wrong thing to do. That's why he hesitated to do it and was worried when the phone rang after the ad ran.

Quote:
When Chuck got married he obviously didn't invite Jimmy to the wedding, and, he really didn't want Jimmy to even go over there for dinner..he was too ashamed of Jimmy and didn't want his wife to meet him.
Jimmy apologized for not coming to the wedding, so clearly he was invited. And wouldn't you be ashamed of your brother if you were Chuck and Jimmy were your brother? He's a con man, working in a mail room as a first straight job in his thirties.

Quote:
Both Hamlin and Main liked Jimmy. If it weren't for Chuck..Hamlin probably would have hired Jimmy as a lawyer. Main probably wouldn't have made Jimmies life rough by having that babysitter hovering over him.
Howard knows that Jimmy got his degree from a diploma mill, and he's also a bastard. Look at how he treated Kim for Jimmy's antics. Just because Chuck turned out to not be on Jimmy's side in the matter doesn't mean Howard was.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,941,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
IDK how 'Saul' has a law license. Or why he has to change his name, but this must have something to do with it.
This was addressed in either Breaking Bad or in Season 1 of Better Call Saul, but the name change was because #1) it sounds more Jewish, and #2) it's a play on words... Saul Goodman ( it's all good man )

Confirmed by Wikipedia.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:02 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,941,995 times
Quote:

Chuck not evil? Well, maybe not evil but he's a hateful and spiteful person. Just a few examples..
When Jimmy worked hard to get his law degree Chuck derided him about it and, among other things, said it wasn't a real degree.
After passing the bar, while working in the mailroom at HHM, Jimmy is told that HHM wouldn't hire him as a lawyer..no doubt because of Chuck.
With HHM and the Sandpiper case, Chuck made it so that Jimmy could only sit back and rake in his share of the profits from the Sandpiper case, but he wouldn't be allowed to work on the case
With Davis & Main, Chuck sticks his nose in and suddenly Jimmy has a babysitter.
When Chuck got married he obviously didn't invite Jimmy to the wedding, and, he really didn't want Jimmy to even go over there for dinner..he was too ashamed of Jimmy and didn't want his wife to meet him.

Both Hamlin and Main liked Jimmy. If it weren't for Chuck..Hamlin probably would have hired Jimmy as a lawyer. Main probably wouldn't have made Jimmies life rough by having that babysitter hovering over him.
It's too simple to look at Chuck's character one-dimensionally, he's too nuanced for that. He's not evil or bad, but his actions aren't always sensible or good either. That's what makes this story so great... It's ripe for deep analysis.

On one hand, Chuck worked hard, went to a respected school, and put in the effort, and did everything right to get the prestigious law degree that he has. Jimmy on the other hand, got his degree from the University of American Samoa Law School after spending the first 3 decades of his life goofing off.

Chuck takes the law very seriously and had dedicated his life to it, while Jimmy flouts it, cuts corners, and makes light of it with cheap suits, cheesy comercials, and questionable tactics. It's not hard to understand why Chuck would have reservations about Jimmy getting a job at the Law Firm that Chuck spent his entire career building. He has a reputation to protect. To put things in perspective, Jimmy really is a con-man, a swindler. A con-man with a good heart who's trying to make something of himself, yes, but a con-man nonetheless, and that goes against everything that Chuck stands for. Chuck is the $400 an hour attorney and Jimmy is the ambulance chaser.

Further complicating their relationship, is the fact that to spite Chuck's being the major success that he is, his parents still favored the family screw-up, and that eats away at Chuck, he's never been able to get over that, and I think THAT'S a big part of what clouds Chuck's judgment on Jimmy and why Chuck won't even give him a chance to prove himself, or allow himself to accept the affection that Jimmy has for him.

I thought Chuck's assessment of Jimmy being like a "chimp with a machine gun" was quite appropriate, albeit harsh, but I can certainly understand why Chuck feels the way he does about Jimmy as a Lawyer, even though I don't agree with how he treats Jimmy.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-21-2016 at 01:42 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 05:48 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,729,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This was addressed in either Breaking Bad or in Season 1 of Better Call Saul, but the name change was because #1) it sounds more Jewish, and #2) it's a play on words... Saul Goodman ( it's all good man )

Confirmed by Wikipedia.
To be specific, that is a story that Saul told, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,010,131 times
Quote:
Kim is an unknown..literally. There must be something in her background that hasn't surfaced yet. She's always been very mum about her life before HHM. I wonder if Chuck finds out about it and holds it over her head to drive her out of both her practice and the state. Chuck will probably also force her to talk that Mesa Verde couple into going back with HHM before she leaves.
Kim is not really an unknown at all. She gave her autobiography to some detail during her interview with that other company. If I remember - born in the mid-west, had an un-promising future there and decided to move out to a huge town and go into the legal field. HHM hired her as an intern or something and paid for her law degree. She has been working there since.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,399,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They did it through trickery. But it was funny. Were I the client I'd be like do you think I am stupid? lol. Al this 'we're so old and boring and focused on these pesky details' lmao! I would have stuck with Kim for that reason alone.
We'll just have to agree to disagree but I don't think it was trickery; Chuck simply made an argument that he and Howard were more experienced than Kim (which is true). He said this in an oblique manner, but it definitely wasn't trickery. I will agree that what they did was dirty, but it did not involve trickery.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,399,548 times
I agree with other posters who say that Chuck never got Jimmy disbarred. There's no way for Jimmy to just simply change his name considering he advertised his law practice on Breaking Bad so prominently. Chuck just won't have the heart to report Jimmy to the state bar, which could be a violation of the rules since some states require attorneys to report other attorneys they know who have engaged in malfeasance. Or Chuck will die before he gets a chance to report Jimmy. I'm not sure how Chuck would die since the doctor said he was healthy. Here's an interesting article about his mental illness; Better Call Saul: is electromagnetic hypersensitivity a real health risk:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...al-health-risk

Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 AM

17,759 posts, read 15,564,980 times
Quote:

Confirmed by Wikipedia.
That's not why he HAD to change his name, that's why he chose the name Saul Goodman.

We don't know why, or if, he HAD to change his name. Could have been a choice.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 AM

9,834 posts, read 11,640,012 times
Quote:
It's too simple to look at Chuck's character one-dimensionally, he's too nuanced for that. He's not evil or bad, but his actions aren't always sensible or good either. That's what makes this story so great... It's ripe for deep analysis.

On one hand, Chuck worked hard, went to a respected school, and put in the effort, and did everything right to get the prestigious law degree that he has. Jimmy on the other hand, got his degree from the University of American Samoa Law School after spending the first 3 decades of his life goofing off.

Chuck takes the law very seriously and had dedicated his life to it, while Jimmy flouts it, cuts corners, and makes light of it with cheap suits, cheesy comercials, and questionable tactics. It's not hard to understand why Chuck would have reservations about Jimmy getting a job at the Law Firm that Chuck spent his entire career building. He has a reputation to protect. To put things in perspective, Jimmy really is a con-man, a swindler. A con-man with a good heart who's trying to make something of himself, yes, but a con-man nonetheless, and that goes against everything that Chuck stands for. Chuck is the $400 an hour attorney and Jimmy is the ambulance chaser.

Further complicating their relationship, is the fact that to spite Chuck's being the major success that he is, his parents still favored the family screw-up, and that eats away at Chuck, he's never been able to get over that, and I think THAT'S a big part of what clouds Chuck's judgment on Jimmy and why Chuck won't even give him a chance to prove himself, or allow himself to accept the affection that Jimmy has for him.

I thought Chuck's assessment of Jimmy being like a "chimp with a machine gun" was quite appropriate, albeit harsh, but I can certainly understand why Chuck feels the way he does about Jimmy as a Lawyer, even though I don't agree with how he treats Jimmy.
Could not put it better myself
Repped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV