Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I can see how someone would see that H and M stole Mesa Verde, however, Mesa Verde was always H&M's client. If anything, Kim tried to steal them from her old law firm. Though it is pretty common for corporate clients to leave a law firm when a particular attorney also leaves the firm. Chuck and Howard simply convinced the bank to stay, whereas Jimmy committed a crime to trick Mesa Verde into leaving H&M.
They did it through trickery. But it was funny. Were I the client I'd be like do you think I am stupid? lol. Al this 'we're so old and boring and focused on these pesky details' lmao! I would have stuck with Kim for that reason alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I don't know if it was pointed out yet, but the cinematography was on point this episode.

The shot with Chuck in the ER was very well done.

It seemed to be the artsy-est episode this season.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Oh I didn't see it that way at all and thought the scenario was very believable and a true credit to the writers. Jimmy loves his brother, above all else. Like Kim said, he idolizes him. That is made obvious by how Jimmy keeps coming back to Chuck to try and help him, even though Chuck has it out for him.

So, when Jimmy saw that his brother had basically been broken ( or so he thought ) as a direct consequence of what Jimmy did, he came clean to try and give Chuck his peace of mind back by letting him know that he really didn't make a mistake, believing that it wouldn't lead to anything because it's "your word against mine anyway".... and Chuck knew that he could manipulate Jimmy in to admitting what he did by exploiting the brotherly love that Jimmy has for him.

I thought the scene was deep, brilliant, and completely plausible given the nuance and intricacies of the characters and how they interact with each other.
Spot on

Old 04-20-2016, 04:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was thinking that too, but ultimately he decided to let Jimmy quit to save Kim. He resisted at first - said that is wrong, but Jimmy talked him into it.
Well, we know that Chuck can't have used the tape to make Jimmy "go straight", because we know what Jimmy eventually becomes, and we know that he can't have used the tape to get Jimmy to quit the law, because we know he is a lawyer in later years.

That said, using that same process of elimination, we know that Chuck can't have used the tape to get Jimmy disbarred either, or if he tried, it obviously didn't work.

So I don't know what's going to happen.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well, we know that Chuck can't have used the tape to make Jimmy "go straight", because we know what Jimmy eventually becomes, and we know that he can't have used the tape to get Jimmy to quit the law, because we know he is a lawyer in later years.

That said, using that same process of elimination, we know that Chuck can't have used the tape to get Jimmy disbarred either, or if he tried, it obviously didn't work.

IDK how 'Saul' has a law license. Or why he has to change his name, but this must have something to do with it.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:06 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
IDK how 'Saul' has a law license. Or why he has to change his name, but this must have something to do with it.
I agree. I see one of two scenerios:

1) The recording works, and Chuck gets him disbarred, and he begins his new life as Saul Goodman.

2) The recording doesn't work - becomes damaged and they go to play it and nothing comes out. Since H&M already think Chuck's half in the bag, already, this could get Chuck derailed.

On the other hand, I could envision something horrible happening to Chuck - like a stroke, just prior to anything coming to the surface.

I thought Chuck was going to have a stroke in the hospital from being so frightened.

I have a love/hate relationship with Chuck. I dislike him immensely, but I feel incredibly sorry for him.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM

23,465 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I have to call BS on pretty much all of this.
Was Saul's dad a gullible man? Absolutely. But could there have been an endless stream of grifters taking him for such a ride that it put him out of business over the span of decades? Absolutely not. That's silly. Saul was stealing from the till from that first time until the place went under, because that's the kind of person he is. "A little bit now and then won't hurt anyone."
Jimmy knew the guy was a grifter and said to his dad - “It’s a ripoff. Every grifter in town knows this is the spot for a handout.â€. His dad then not only gave the grifter double the dollar amount he was asking for, he also went into the back to find the vehicle part the grifter claimed to need to 'give it to him'.
His dad was a soft touch for a sob story and everyone knew it. What is silly is to believe otherwise. Sure Jimmy took that money, but, I'm betting he ended up feeling bad about it and that's why he never takes (cons) from innocent people. If he'd had no problem with taking money from his dad for decades, as you said, then he wouldn't have thought twice about taking that old lady's last dollar since she was offering it to him and he needed money.

Quote:
No one on the show is evil except for the Salamacas and their associates. To call Chuck, Howard, the Beanie Baby enthusiast, etc evil is just dumb. Chuck is about as un-evil as they come. He has steadfast beliefs and Saul has no beliefs, steadfast or otherwise. He's the hardest on Saul because he knows him the best. He's always seen through Saul's act. Is Saul an evil person? No, he still cares about people. But is he a good person? Not at all.
And the show is about the choices that lead Saul and Mike to become the men they are in Breaking Bad. Mike goes from a good man with a strict code of conduct to very flexible man with a very flimsy code of conduct, while Saul goes from a bad person who sometimes tries to do the right thing while living in denial to a bad person who does bad things for personal enrichment with no qualms about who he is or what he does.
Chuck not evil? Well, maybe not evil but he's a hateful and spiteful person. Just a few examples..
When Jimmy worked hard to get his law degree Chuck derided him about it and, among other things, said it wasn't a real degree.
After passing the bar, while working in the mailroom at HHM, Jimmy is told that HHM wouldn't hire him as a lawyer..no doubt because of Chuck.
With HHM and the Sandpiper case, Chuck made it so that Jimmy could only sit back and rake in his share of the profits from the Sandpiper case, but he wouldn't be allowed to work on the case
With Davis & Main, Chuck sticks his nose in and suddenly Jimmy has a babysitter.
When Chuck got married he obviously didn't invite Jimmy to the wedding, and, he really didn't want Jimmy to even go over there for dinner..he was too ashamed of Jimmy and didn't want his wife to meet him.

Both Hamlin and Main liked Jimmy. If it weren't for Chuck..Hamlin probably would have hired Jimmy as a lawyer. Main probably wouldn't have made Jimmies life rough by having that babysitter hovering over him.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:08 PM

23,465 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:

Yeah he wouldn't use that tape to get Jimmy disbarred since Jimmy would probably end up facing charges for what he'd done, and it may make it hard to get another law license even with a name change. Not because Chuck wouldn't want to do it (because he would..and not simply because it's the right thing to do but because it's another way for him to crap on Jimmy, again) but it doesn't seem like that had happened to Jimmy/Saul.

Maybe when Chuck and Hamlin confront Jimmy about what's on the tape Jimmy tries to make a deal with them by telling them that if they drop it then there will no longer be a Jimmy McGill Esq. No doubt Chuck won't agree to it and will want Jimmy charged but Hamlin will probably finally man up and disagree with Chuck and make Chuck agree to the deal. Then Jimmy changes his name, retakes the bar under the new name and is back in business as Saul Goodman Esq.

Kim is an unknown..literally. There must be something in her background that hasn't surfaced yet. She's always been very mum about her life before HHM. I wonder if Chuck finds out about it and holds it over her head to drive her out of both her practice and the state. Chuck will probably also force her to talk that Mesa Verde couple into going back with HHM before she leaves.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I think this has been pointed out before, but you can't just lose your license and then reappear as a new lawyer with a new name. It doesn't work that way.

I'll be interested to find out, but there are sanctions less than disbarment. He could have a complaint filed against him and wind up only with a suspension. Any lawyer would consider suspension a major, devastating loss, but they do come back and practice again.

Given that a week ago everyone was wondering if Chuck suffered a fatal or permanently disabling head injury from the fall, they've shown us the ability to keep us guessing, haven't they?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Since the doctor already seemed up for committing Chuck, all Jimmy has to do to stop Chuck from making use of the tape, is to sign commitment paperwork and off Chuck goes to the loony bin.

But Jimmy would never do that, so . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV