Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,804,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Ratings for this episode dropped so hard...lowest rated ever at barely 1.8/5 and 8 million viewers. The Amazing Race might soon be trotting on cancellation territory.
I sincerely doubt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,019,788 times
It seems little different this season, Europe before Asia. Or have they done that before?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I sincerely doubt that.
They might change the timeslot at least. 1.8 is low for primetime regardless of the day, except maybe Fridays. 5 share is also VERY low. Football could have hurt the ratings, but I don't know... This show used to get 2.5 ratings and 7-8 shares easily with 9.5M+ viewers easily. Why is it struggling this season?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,453,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The appear from nowhere team, Jason and Amy, are the ones from my town. Nice to see them doing well last night.
I'm originally from Western Mass, and once I saw they were from New England, I have been routing for them, plus they are nice too!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,194,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I agree. How dare they beat Pinky at admittedly her own game! I can't believe some of these people don't get yelled at by airport authorities crowding around check-in desks and yelling at other customers. It seems like that's something that should get you in trouble at an airport, especially in this day and age. It annoys me to no end that two teams got mad at the baseball wives just because they were smart.
I'm sure they all know they are on a TV show. Would they not have had to sign releases?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,194,428 times
Quote:
They might change the timeslot at least. 1.8 is low for primetime regardless of the day, except maybe Fridays. 5 share is also VERY low. Football could have hurt the ratings, but I don't know... This show used to get 2.5 ratings and 7-8 shares easily with 9.5M+ viewers easily. Why is it struggling this season?

I think the time slot has a lot to do with it. Sunday is a big sports day for CBS and scheduled programs come on when ever here on the east coast.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
[/color]
I think the time slot has a lot to do with it. Sunday is a big sports day for CBS and scheduled programs come on when ever here on the east coast.

but I don't think the show is suffering in ratings. I've never trusted the stats they come up with.
It's been on Sunday nights for many seasons now and during that time was awarded many Emmy and People's Choice awards.
Not sure how many new viewers it's gathering but the tried and true fans don't seem to be going anywhere,anytime soon.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM

44,643 posts, read 61,669,787 times
I agree with you Pippy. There are too many variations in the rating of any show. They don't take into considertion those that are watching it later on their computers, or dvr's or streaming the show.
And the previous week's final Nielsen rating tabulations are usually out on Tues.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,145,346 times
That doesn't matter. Ratings are used for commercials. If a tv is rated high like The Walking dead, commercial space for that show is worth a lot more and the tv network profit more. If The Amazing Race struggles with Nielson ratings which are used universally, then commercial space becomes less and less expensive and the network profits less and less.

That's why those ratings are important. If the show continues to produce less than 2.0 for the 18-49 demographic(which is by far the most important demographic, sorry 50+ posters, you're not as important), then the show will either time slot shift or be cancelled.

Shows want young people watching their show since commercials tend to skew towards that golden 18-49 demographic. I hate to be blunt, but tv shows almost don't care for the 50+ demographic. The Amazing Race does well in the 50+ demographic, but that doesn't matter to potential commercial space buyers. They want the 18-49 demographic and so far, it has done poorly in that department.

For comparison, The Walking dead has a record 16.1 million viewers with a 8.0 rating and I think 15 or 16 shares. That's massive and approaches, if not at football level ratings. Commercial space will become expensive for it. That's why ratings are important. Watching it on their computer later does not matter.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
That doesn't matter. Ratings are used for commercials. If a tv is rated high like The Walking dead, commercial space for that show is worth a lot more and the tv network profit more. If The Amazing Race struggles with Nielson ratings which are used universally, then commercial space becomes less and less expensive and the network profits less and less.

That's why those ratings are important. If the show continues to produce less than 2.0 for the 18-49 demographic(which is by far the most important demographic, sorry 50+ posters, you're not as important), then the show will either time slot shift or be cancelled.

Shows want young people watching their show since commercials tend to skew towards that golden 18-49 demographic. I hate to be blunt, but tv shows almost don't care for the 50+ demographic. The Amazing Race does well in the 50+ demographic, but that doesn't matter to potential commercial space buyers. They want the 18-49 demographic and so far, it has done poorly in that department.

For comparison, The Walking dead has a record 16.1 million viewers with a 8.0 rating and I think 15 or 16 shares. That's massive and approaches, if not at football level ratings. Commercial space will become expensive for it. That's why ratings are important. Watching it on their computer later does not matter.

let's not spoil the season with what ifs
When and if the show is canceled or they just call it quits, I'll mourn then.

I only care that I love the show. Never miss it and love to talk about it here with my friends and fans of the show; as we have been doing for years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV