Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,538,367 times

Advertisements

I love all seasons of "M*A*S*H" and loved the characters of Trapper and BJ about as equally as possible. But I thought the show was funnier in the Trapper/Henry/Frank years, as I mentioned on the "Frank or Charles" thread. Therefore, I have to go with Trapper. Plus, Wayne Rogers starred as Will henry Lee in a miniseries filmed thirty miles from where I lived at the time in his post-Trapper career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Didn't we already discuss this quite thoroughly a few months ago in another one of the "M*A*S*H threads? Seems like we now have 4-5 different threads about the same show, maybe it's time to merge them all into the main thread.

To answer the question--I'll say the same thing I said last time. I like both characters more or less equally. Trapper was funnier (and cuter), but he got a little tiresome as time passed and I was just as glad to see him move on. BJ was a nice change of pace and I really liked his character at first. Then he became a little preachy. I liked the episode where he became obsessed with getting money to buy a house back in California--funny how some episodes stick in your brain, and that was one I liked.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,747 times
I liked both but they were different characters. No reason to compare apples with oranges. Btw, I really prefer Trapper John MD trapper John to the MASH trapper John. Much better character. Though I guess both those actors, playing Trapper John, are a pain to work with! haha Figures.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,825,362 times
BJ, but my fave recurring character was Sidney Freedman - I would have liked him to be in all the episodes.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:06 PM

407 posts, read 830,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
BJ, but my fave recurring character was Sidney Freedman - I would have liked him to be in all the episodes.
Sidney really deserved his own spin-off

Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,365,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Trapper was a player. A serial adulterer. What's to like about someone with that character?
Well.............guys probably like him but I would be willing to bet more women dislike him.
Don't forget the episode where BJ slept with a nurse. But maybe it doesn't count since his real life wife (at the time) was playing her.

I wasn't a huge fan of either of them. But I'd take Trapper if I had to pick one. BJ came across as too much of a holier than thou and his mustache was nasty.

BTW, when Gary Burgoff left they considered making Freedman a full time character but Alan Arbus couldn't swing it. Probably for the best as he would have duplicated Father Mulcahy's role.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:45 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Trapper. But why?

Maybe because all we saw was three years worth of his character. It never got old and tired. Conversely, we saw eight seasons of Honeycutt. Or maybe Trapper was just more amusing.

MASH did a good job of developing beyond its early (very funny) years. They just couldn't do 11 seasons of Radar and Henry Blake running into each other at the swinging doors.

Aside from all else, Honeycutt was a deeper character than Trapper and offered more potential storylines. The same is even more true of Potter compared to Blake, and Winchester compared to Burns. The producers should be applauded from not trying to make their replacements essentially the same as the character they replaced (something a lot of series end up doing). There is a certain dichotomy to the fact that while the later seasons, in the opinion of some, might not have been as good as the earlier seasons, if the show hadn't changed those later seasons would have been worse for being so repetitive.

It probably should have wrapped after about eight seasons, though.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,891,276 times
Wayne Rogers is doing quite well in his new TV role on Saturday mornings. He is a real life stock broker appearing on FOX Bulls and Bears every Saturday morning. Very intelligent and knowledgeable on stock trading..

Great! FOX Bulls & Bears Show Now Includes Commie Input - YouTube
Probably making more money that he did on MASH...

Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 PM

25 posts, read 52,633 times
Trapper was way more entertaining. I always watched to be amused and that was with Trapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV