Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times

Advertisements

I enjoy Jimmy Fallon.

Loved Carson. Leno was ok, but honestly, it always felt like he was guest hosting Carson's Tonight Show. Jimmy, unlike Jay, has made TTS his own. I like that.

Never been a Letterman fan - I didn't mind some of his material but overall I found him overly sarcastic and crossing over into bitter.

Jimmy Kimmel? He's ok.

Conan?...shudder....I change the channel to avoid him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:45 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times
I like Fallon. I like Kimmel. I like Myers and Letterman. Leno was ok depending on which years, Letterman too had better years than others. Ferguson and and the redhead whose name is escaping talk about themselves waaaaay to much. Ferguson spent the first half the of the show just mugging for the camera, it was boring.
I don't think Fallon the natural to carry the Carson legacy/show. Oddly enough I think that that's Seth Meyers (Myers?). He reminds me of Carson a little bit. Skinny, sort of average guy. Sort of proper but a little giggly. Carson could get giggly. Seth doesn't have the natural rhythm or feeling down yet but if he develops it I think he would be more the torch carrier. He just reminds me most of Carson out of all of them.
I actually watch for the guests. I fast forward till I get there. If they don't interact well with the guests then I'm unhappy. Kimmel probably does the best job right now.

Of course the winner of late night talk shows is..............GRAHAM NORTON! Love his show

Old 01-30-2015, 06:04 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,566,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I wouldn't mind the games if he didn't always have to win. He's like a child who will cheat if his team falls behind, he taunts his opponents, and when he wins he jumps up and down like he won an Olympic medal. Apparently no one has ever explained to him that hosts are supposed to be polite to the guests. I'm not saying he has to let them win, but he clearly always has an unfair advantage since it's a game his staff made up. I'm to the point where I turn it off when he starts one of his games.

I'm also not crazy about his outsized professions of love for his guests. Everyone who comes on is "the greatest," someone he just "loves so so much," a "dear, dear friend," a "friend of the show," etc., etc. I thought the show was a definite improvement over Leno when it came on (and I still think that) but I'm over it now. The Roots are the best thing he has going for him. Amazing band.

does he seriously really win all the time???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Fallon is just very juvenile and overly frenetic. So yes, I think the show is stupid.

But anyone is better than Leno was!

I like Kimmel's more laid back style, and am looking forward to Colbert.
Kimmel's is the most normal, standard format

I've occationally been tuning in Conan, it seems, to my less familiar eyes and ears, he's "calmed down" a little bit , more Kimmel-ish. He's funny when he isn't so over the top, ironically, both Conan and Fallon are/were too antsy and childish for me to like but it seems Conan it a bit mellower.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,191,979 times
Jimmy Fallon is intensely sexy
He's also the only talented late night tv show guy...
Not that I catch him regularly-
But I do love his musical collaborations especially w/ JT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8SDeXNOKY

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,852,401 times
I like jimmy Kimmel's voice, it's strong and loud he seems to enjoy doing what he's doing, he's sincerely Interested in his guests ...no show- boating with him

Old 01-30-2015, 08:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,048,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
does he seriously really win all the time???
Nope, not even close. Usually he lets the guests win if it's a game where he can determine the outcome (races, lipsinc kkaraoke, etc.) Otherwise, from what I've seen, it tends to be about 50/50.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:27 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,821,266 times
Reading this thread again from the beginning is amusing. Despite all the kvetching, Jimmy Fallon is still the number 1 late night show one year later. LOL

That said, I like Jimmy fine, but I am interested to see what happens when Colbert's show starts.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,742,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Carson was king, but Fallon comes closer than anyone else ever has. He does a great job with the physical comedy and sketches, very similar to Carson. Leno sucked, so I am glad that they found a truly funny guy to replace him, and to try and carry on the show in Carson fashion.

I love the games, and the lip syncing contests are pure genius.
Surely you jest.

Carson was a grown-up.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:45 PM

10,036 posts, read 9,523,851 times
I watched the tonight show from Carson to Fallon. Carson was the best. I thought Leno was good and deserves the respect for keeping the tonight show #1 for twenty years because he knew how to adapt to the audience. Lately I've been watching Fallon and really like him.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,227,354 times
I loved Jimmy's show last night. Sunday's Superlatives were great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV