Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:31 PM

2,322 posts, read 928,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Getting in the way-back machine here....

Soap opera The Edge of Night was unique in soapland. It was reportedly viewed by the largest segment of male viewers of any soap, likely due to its mystery/crime focus rather than romantic melodrama. It aired at 3:30pm eastern, a pretty late slot for a "daytime" soap (thus the name) but perfect for men returning home from work to "pick it up". It had gangbusters ratings, usually #2 among over a dozen soaps. In 1972 Edge got moved to a much earlier time slot (I think it was 1:30) by CBS and was sandwiched between more "conventional" soaps. It lost a lot of its male audience that had been watching it after work. The darker tone also didn't "fit" with the surrounding shows very well, either. The ratings dropped noticeably, but rather than trying to correct the mistake, CBS let the show slide so badly that Edge ultimately left CBS entirely in late 1975, moving to ABC to run for another nine years but never regaining its top-rated status.
Thank you For the life of me I could not remember the name of the soap opera I used to watch at 4pm after General Hospital:Edge of Night. Thanks to you this won't be eating at me all night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,677,343 times
star trek was a fantastic success, they sacked it.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 PM

15,654 posts, read 26,371,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
A&E pulled the plug on Longmire because the viewing audience was "to old" for them. The age group they are trying to target with TV shows are the ones with the least amount of disposable income.

Why TV Hit 'Longmire' Got Canceled: Fans Too Old - WSJ
Bet that explains why the young cop played by Katee Sackoff started making moon eyes at Longmire. That came out of nowhere and was a wee bit creepy.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,418,070 times
A lot of people feel Murder, She Wrote was sabotaged by CBS in its final season. Yes, the show was 12 years old and a bit repetitive, but it still had great ratings and a loyal following until CBS changed the time slot in the final year from Sunday to Thursday and it's ratings dropped out of the top ten and it was cancelled at the end of that year.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,925,553 times
Many but one that comes to mind is the Partridge Family. For the first three seasons it was on Friday nights after the Brady Bunch. In my mind they were very compatible and drew the same audience. For some reason ABC decided to place it directly against All In The Family which was the number 1 show. The Partridge Family (along with the Brady Bunch)were both cancelled that spring.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 PM

5,283 posts, read 3,652,400 times
Gee, 2 pages in & I'm suprised no one has mentiioned the most obvious hit job on a network's own show: The Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour. They were one of many shows that CBS had put in that slot to try & stop the multi-year ratings colossus that was Bonanza over on NBC. Bonanza had trounced them all including pros like Jack Benny & Judy Garland.

The Smothers came in & tried for the younger demographic & it took off. As they became more topical they featured performers that had not been allowed on TV before including Pete Seeger who had been banned by the networks since 1950. This worked & suddenly Bonanza was no longer #1 in the ratings & the Smothers are taking off... but the powers that be apparently didn't like giving Seeger, Harry Belafonte, David Steinberg, The Who & people who spoke out against the Vietnam War a prime time presence. So they came up with a patently bogus lie about scripts being late & cancelled the show.

I suppose it's not incidental that Bill Paley, the head of CBS at the time, wanted to be appointed to a diplomatic post by Nixon...

Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 AM

42,080 posts, read 75,559,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Many but one that comes to mind is the Partridge Family.
I can't see the Partridge Family lasting more than a few years even if it were the most popular show in its time slot. Teen idols are a nine-days' wonder under the best of circumstances. The network didn't kill the Partridge Family; the fickle nature of preteen girls did.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 AM

850 posts, read 1,030,633 times
I dunno if this meets the OP's criteria but FIREFLY.

(also hell yes about the Smother's Brothers. Didn't know the back story until I heard about it on NPR. They really went up in my estimation)

Old 09-14-2014, 03:31 AM

30,788 posts, read 16,417,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
star trek was a fantastic success, they sacked it.
yup

Old 09-14-2014, 04:28 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,187,895 times
ANYTHING ON FOX!

Well, maybe not everything, but back in the 90's, I learned that FOX would give the audience a taste of a show and then yank it away. Briscoe County and Sliders for example. They would lie about what they did with the show. Models, Inc. and Wonderfalls for example. They would misadvertise their shows, such as Medicine Ball.

So around 1996 I guess, I stopped watching any new shows on FOX. Why bother? They weren't going to stay around. Wonderfalls, a few years later, was another pass at FOX to see if they had changed their tune but no, they were even worse in not even bothering to advertise it.

So I quit watching FOX altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV