Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:37 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,773,224 times

Advertisements

Wow. One mention of Lobo sparked a little debate. Yeah it was a little weird to see a character that was an out and out villain get a complete personality change and his own show. But it worked. In the first season anyway. I think it would have lasted longer than 2 years if the NBC suits at the time just kept their hands off it. WAY too late now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:40 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,884,734 times
According to Wikipedia, Rhoda (a Mary Tyler Moore spinoff), had excellent ratings in its first two seasons, with "Rhoda" and "Joe"'s first-season wedding getting especially high ratings. Then CBS decided that "Rhoda" needed to be single again, so they broke up the couple in Season Three. Ratings plummeted and never came back.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,884,734 times
Gunsmoke aired on CBS from 1955 to 1975. However, it would have been canceled much sooner if not for the actions of CBS chairman William S. Paley and his wife.
In 1967, after several seasons of declining ratings, CBS decided to cancel Gunsmoke. However, the Paleys liked the series, and overturned the network's decision. Gunsmoke moved from Saturday night to Monday night and its ratings improved. One of the series that was canceled to make way for Gunsmoke's new day and time was...Gilligan's Island, which had already been renewed for a fourth season.
In retrospect, it was probably a good idea for GI to end its run after three years, as its audience probably would have grown tired of its silly plots after another season or two.

http://mercurie.blogspot.com/2010/02...gilligans.html

Old 01-20-2015, 10:02 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,705,807 times
Happy Endings. Erratic scheduling at ABC all but guaranteed this show wasn't going to get high ratings or survive. The show was moved to 5 different time slots on 3 different days in it's 3rd and final season. The latter 2 to be the death slot of Friday night when the target demographic isn't home watching TV. Each move causing ratings to dip considerably.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,705,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Uuhhhhhh yeah. THE KILLING! The writers made the mistake of carrying the Rosie Larson murder over into season 2, instead of solving the whole thing in season 1. Taking an entire season to solve a murder is already something fairly new for American crime dramas, as the network shows usually do it in one hour. For SURE they should have never dragged it out for 2 seasons; they angered and lost their audience for a time after that.
Good one, forgot all about this one. I loved Season 1, but Season 2 is where they lost me.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:44 PM

15,783 posts, read 9,636,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
NBC screwed up the Law & Order franchise cancelling Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Conviction, Law & Order, and Law & Order: Los Angeles.
NBC gave "Law & Order: LA" absolutely no chance by canceling the original seris the year before. I didn't feel inclined to watch a new version when I thought the original had actually righted the ship after a lean few years. Enjoyed seeing McCoy tackle the head DA job.

"Law & Order: SVU" should have been canned instead as it ran out of ideas years before. At the very least, Meloni's last season should have been it for that show.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,947,788 times
When Homicide: Life on the Street added Falsone (Jon Seda, one of my least favorite actors of all time) and Ballard (Callie Thorne, whom I subsequently loved on Rescue Me) in season 5.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM

231 posts, read 214,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
One that angered me was the treatment of "Dragnet" on ABC in the early 2000's. Even though it was a 10PM Saturday timeslot, I knew teens that rushed home just to see Al Bundy playing Sgt. Joe Friday and absolutely nailing it. It was Wolf Production and though season one was excellent the weeks on season 2 killed it: Friday became the deskbound director of a muti-cultural investigative team,one of which was Eva Longoria, his partner from season 1, Ethan Embry was a bit weak but rapidly improving, but his replacements had no chemistry and were just there to satisfy ethnic demos. From what I understand, Wolf was demanding a franchise: LA Dragnet, NYC Dragnet and so on, ABC would not do it and he lost interest, and put up no resistance to network tweeks. Awesome opening credits BTW.
I loved the Ed O'Neill version.
I watched all 12(?) episodes again recently on Hulu and loved it.
ABC dropped the ball on this one.
I don't think that they needed 2 or 3 different Dragnets - LA/NYC/Miami etc - just keep it simple just like Jack Webb did.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:29 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,657,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Good one, forgot all about this one. I loved Season 1, but Season 2 is where they lost me.
THE KILLING

Yes, I forgot about this as well... what a misstep they did! I was a contented fan of this much better than typical police TV show, I hadn't watched any others in years, & had recorded their last episode & watched it & at the last wrap-up minute the plot point changed & I figured it was the second-to-last cliffhanger episode. So for a few weeks after I was trying to find the season close episode & an eventual google search lead me to the articles of how angry viewers were with the last scene switcheroo as a season finale.

I was so angry that I never went back next season... I will probably catch it on Netflix sometime.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,391,156 times
The television series "V" is one . I'm not talking about the 1983 original series, but the new 2009-2011 version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV