Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:26 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,405,384 times

Advertisements

Uuhhhhhh yeah. THE KILLING! The writers made the mistake of carrying the Rosie Larson murder over into season 2, instead of solving the whole thing in season 1. Taking an entire season to solve a murder is already something fairly new for American crime dramas, as the network shows usually do it in one hour. For SURE they should have never dragged it out for 2 seasons; they angered and lost their audience for a time after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:30 PM

2,322 posts, read 928,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Uuhhhhhh yeah. THE KILLING! The writers made the mistake of carrying the Rosie Larson murder over into season 2, instead of solving the whole thing in season 1. Taking an entire season to solve a murder is already something fairly new for American crime dramas, as the network shows usually do it in one hour. For SURE they should have never dragged it out for 2 seasons; they angered and lost their audience for a time after that.
I forgot about this which is sad since it's one of my favorites. The writers put too much faith in the attention span of the viewers.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 PM

14,298 posts, read 14,881,727 times
My wife and I spent quite a bit of time in Ireland. Many of their TV programs were from England and only aired once week. They went on for years with people looking forward to them each week.

When American TV brought a show over and reworked it for American audiences, they would beat it to death. Feed it to us day after day after day. It got boring.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,241,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I dont have to tell you that if the "average" age of a viewer is 60 then there are viewers both older and younger than 60 watching. Im not 60 and I enjoyed the show too. That doesnt change the fact that the key demographic that advertisers target is younger than the average age of "Longmire" viewers
Oh certainly you're correct.

johngolf Americans are never satisfied but I'm envious of England's TV programming and it being free. They do tend to have very long running shows and don't seem as uptight about their content as Americans are too.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,681,341 times
Yeah, Fox is good at destroying stuff...it is amazing they were so patient with X-Files!

Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,166,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i watched brisco county and it wasnt spectacular

previous to what i mentioned before the only other show FOX pushed as some blockbuster shht was in the real early days like 1988 remember Werewolf?

i used to watch that... and like 10 years ago i watched it again and damn was that show cheesy, haha
Well, most things when looked at with the eyes of present doesn't look as grand as when it first came on. Things change, doncha know, from the technology used to make to the era in which it was made and the competition that existed then as to now.

Ie, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was hot stuff when it was on mainline, what was it ABC?, TV because it was one of the few things of is like around and there wasn't that much around to compete with it. But watch it now? Well, men in rubber suits being monsters playing with toy submarines aside, how seriously can a view take the at least monthly if not weekly people running from side to side of the set?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:45 AM

21,035 posts, read 27,440,206 times
If you begin messing around with popular successful series, you risk endangering the franchise and your network's viewership.

NBC screwed up the Law & Order franchise cancelling Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Conviction, Law & Order, and Law & Order: Los Angeles.

CBS screwed up the CSI franchise cancelling CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation has lost interest. CSI: Cyber is yet to premiere. In another franchise, JAG/NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles was to have a spinoff, NCIS: Red, that got overlooked and ignored. NCIS: New Orleans should not be messed with.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,870,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If you begin messing around with popular successful series, you risk endangering the franchise and your network's viewership.

NBC screwed up the Law & Order franchise cancelling Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Conviction, Law & Order, and Law & Order: Los Angeles.

CBS screwed up the CSI franchise cancelling CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation has lost interest. CSI: Cyber is yet to premiere. In another franchise, JAG/NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles was to have a spinoff, NCIS: Red, that got overlooked and ignored. NCIS: New Orleans should not be messed with.
But many of shows you mentioned were very similar to their "parents".

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,945,334 times
I am going to have to go with Arrested Development...

I understand at the time the show wasn't receiving the best ratings but you know something wasn't right when years later it has been considered by many as one of the greatest comedic shows of all-time. Not sure why FOX didn't pick the show back up again... Netflix did... and they did complete a 4th season last year 7 years after it was originally cancelled.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,190,279 times
"Quincy" was a good show in the beginning. It got bad when they tried to make the episodes a platform to push issues instead of solving crimes through the eyes of the M.E. office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV