Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times

Advertisements

I'm part of The Killing audience...and no, they didn't lose me because of the pace of the show. I was OK with the way they did everything and happy to know I can catch the last season on Netflix. Another thing to put on my list.

And I'd like to point out that while I love NCIS and I've grown to really like NCIS: LA...I will NOT be watching NCIS: New Orleans. I like the actors...and the stories could be interesting. But hearing Scott Bakula speak with a N'Orleans accent is like nails on a chalkboard. Just make him a regular guy...stop trying to force that Louisiana thing...at least with Lucas Black, he's actually from Alabama and the southern thing comes naturally.

For those of us from the south...this show will not make it based on that alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, Fox is good at destroying stuff...it is amazing they were so patient with X-Files!
That's when Fox was patient with its shows, and enjoyed being the quirky network with quirky shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
NBC screwed up the Law & Order franchise cancelling Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Conviction, Law & Order, and Law & Order: Los Angeles.

CBS screwed up the CSI franchise cancelling CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation has lost interest. CSI: Cyber is yet to premiere. In another franchise, JAG/NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles was to have a spinoff, NCIS: Red, that got overlooked and ignored. NCIS: New Orleans should not be messed with.
You don't think all the tedious overexposure had anything to do with "endangering the franchise"?

Old 09-17-2014, 04:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You don't think all the tedious overexposure had anything to do with "endangering the franchise"?
I wouldnt even call it "overexposure". It is really just a gratuitously using a name. NCIS and NCIS: LA are really nothing like each other. All of the CSIs can be called "generic cop show" and it wouldnt really change anything.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,767,175 times
A blast from te past for all of you old enough to remember (like me): The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. Lasted 2 years on NBC. Season 1 was rock solid ratings-wise. It scored big in the rural areas of the country but not the big cities. So the powers that be said "Lets move Lobo and his 2 trust deputies to the big city" The boys were shipped off to Atlanta, show was renamed Lobo, the ratings plummeted and the show was cancelled. Amazing what network meddling can do isn't it?

Another one that just popped in my head is The Naked Truth. Tea Leoni's 2nd sitcom after Flying Blind. Season 1 was on ABC. It was insanely funny but it was cancelled. NBC picked it up, and the Peacock execs made the producers make a few tweaks to the show. even though it ran for 2 more years the vibe that made it funny in season 1 wasn't there anymore. I stopped watching after season 2.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
I don't know if it was the network or the producers, but someone sabotaged the show The Human Target, which was on a couple of years ago. The first season was excellent, but the second season they must have decided there weren't enough female characters and added two, but they were all wrong for the chemistry of the show and it changed the nature of the show and it quickly fell in the ratings and was promptly canceled.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Taxi

Old 09-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,118 times
I was a huge fan of "Scrubs". I don't think NBC ever had it in the same time slot or on the same day from one season to the next. Yet it managed to survive, just never built the audience I thought it could have.

CBS has been brutal to The Amazing Race over the years. I thought for sure it would not survive Sunday nights with all the delays caused by NFL games running late. But it's back for another season . . . on a new night.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 AM

352 posts, read 324,879 times
NewsRadio
Spin City
Better off Ted
Journeyman
TERRIERS - No show was more poorly marketed than this one. It was one of the most brilliant drama shows I have seen, but it was promoted almost like some kind of "Dog Whisperer" type of show.
Undeclared
Freaks and Geeks
Futurama - But at least the fans kept fighting for it.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
ANYTHING ON FOX!

Well, maybe not everything, but back in the 90's, I learned that FOX would give the audience a taste of a show and then yank it away. Briscoe County and Sliders for example. They would lie about what they did with the show. Models, Inc. and Wonderfalls for example. They would misadvertise their shows, such as Medicine Ball.

So around 1996 I guess, I stopped watching any new shows on FOX. Why bother? They weren't going to stay around. Wonderfalls, a few years later, was another pass at FOX to see if they had changed their tune but no, they were even worse in not even bothering to advertise it.

So I quit watching FOX altogether.
Dark Angel got run off by FOX as did New Amsterdam.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,449 times
The Howard Beale Show on UBS was sabotaged by CEO Authur Jensen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV