Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:31 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Does anyone remember Jessica Savitch? She was an anchorwoman for NBC, who died in a car accident many years ago, maybe 30 years ago even, I'm not sure, but I remember seeing her on the news and at the time I thought she was an older woman like in her 40s, not that she was old looking, but she seemed very poised and mature. She actually was only 36 years old when she passed away and already a veteran of the news business for a number of years. That is very young! People in their 30s today seem too young these days even in their dress and things they do for fun.
Yes, I remember Jessica. I thought she was older too. 36, a kid to me now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 PM

125 posts, read 134,449 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember Jessica Savitch? She was an anchorwoman for NBC, who died in a car accident many years ago, maybe 30 years ago even, I'm not sure, but I remember seeing her on the news and at the time I thought she was an older woman like in her 40s, not that she was old looking, but she seemed very poised and mature. She actually was only 36 years old when she passed away and already a veteran of the news business for a number of years. That is very young! People in their 30s today seem too young these days even in their dress and things they do for fun.
I know it's not the same, but Jimmy Fallon is about the same age other late night show hosts started as. He looks so much younger then they did when they started. He even looks a lot younger than Conan who's only 10 or so years older than him.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Default Jimmy Fallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
I know it's not the same, but Jimmy Fallon is about the same age other late night show hosts started as. He looks so much younger then they did when they started. He even looks a lot younger than Conan who's only 10 or so years older than him.
If I didn't know how old Jimmy Fallon really was, I would place his age as mid-20s. He looks a lot younger than his age! People in their 30s, 40s, look a lot younger than previous generations.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Because retirees are their target audience.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:

Yes, I remember her. In the 60s, she was a DJ on our local WBBF station. She called herself "Jessica Honeybee."

She was in her 30s when she died (horrifically, BTW), but who's to say she wouldn't have remained in the profession to attain that "old age" the OP's complaining about?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,113 times
One thing that hasn't been touched is that the values were very different. You were rewarded socially for appearing poised, mature, together. Now you are rewarded for appearing and teen-like as possible: baby faced, irreverent, a little disheveled. They are working hard at being cool not knowing the depths of various issues like regional history as it pertains to this country's role in supporting or destroying a given country or tribe. A bro would say "they are jealous of our freedom, just haters". An adult says "we have a troubled history at best so some animosity is a given when you inject a country with a totalitarian abuser who's looted and tortured for decades". It's a good look on Saturday night out with the bros to be flippant and look like you don't care deeply but not as a news anchor who may be called on to interview a head of state, a jihadist, a mass murderer, etc. Powerful people from all walks of life chew up and spit out the young. They know all kinds of emotional and linguistic tricks to push their emotional buttons and get them off their game. They are often master debaters, master manipulators,etc. I know the mind tricks that got by me at 23 wouldn't last a moment today at 45.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Bothers me when some kids study hard to be journalists hoping to get a job in the future , then the networks hire people like Clinton & Bushes daughters , now NBCs hiring Pipper Middleton , it's all in the names I guess,
Yeah, it hardly seems right to always hire for name recognition mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
They are the only ones that can get up early enough to do the show..
Lol! That may be true but the last thing I want to see first thing in the morning is some old fart near my own age reminding me just how old I am and appear!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV