Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 PM

125 posts, read 134,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
To a certain point, Americans like older anchors because they look like they have "lived" life and seen it on the front lines, exuding experience and authority. I've seen Walter Cronkite in news footage and he always seemed very old to me,but the truth is he retired way before his time. In 1963, I think Walter Cronkite was only 45 years old - when I found that out recently, I was shocked. He looked so grandfatherly or maybe like an older uncle and that really worked to calm the country down after the JFK assassination, I've read. Walter Cronkite, like many men in his generation, looked older because they came of age during the Depression and World War II and many served and came back like very "old" young men. They looked older than their age in many ways, but with age comes respect. People respect older anchors more than young ones.
It always amazes me when I'm looking at old pictures (celebrity and regular people) and I find out their age. Many years ago I came across pictures from the 1800s. Like 1890. It was wedding photographs. These people were like teens. They looked 30s-40s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 PM

125 posts, read 134,585 times
Anyone remember Debbie Matenopoulos? She was like 22-25 when she hosted The View. She really mucked it up and was shortly fired. I also think younger new personalities are too emotional. I think networks are aware of this, too. You only see younger new personalities on throw away new shows. Not on like the evening news.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Bothers me when some kids study hard to be journalists hoping to get a job in the future , then the networks hire people like Clinton & Bushes daughters , now NBCs hiring Pipper Middleton , it's all in the names I guess,
I never been able to take George Bush daughter seriously.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,171,977 times
Default "old" young people

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
It always amazes me when I'm looking at old pictures (celebrity and regular people) and I find out their age. Many years ago I came across pictures from the 1800s. Like 1890. It was wedding photographs. These people were like teens. They looked 30s-40s.
Very true! I used to go to these curio shops where they had old antique pictures - just strangers but it was fascinating to wonder who they were or even guess at their history. The people in these photos, as you even noticed in wedding photos, were always a lot older than their chronological age, which was sometimes written on the back. It is a physical thing, not just looking tired. Maybe, it had to do with the shorter lifespan and the difficulty of day-to-day living without all the technological and medical discoveries we have today, but it may have more to do with the difficult times (war, Depression) Even with movie stars of the 1930s, 40s, 50s, who have a certain level of luxury in their lives, look a lot older than their age. Remember that movie Sunset Boulevard with Gloria Swanson? Norma Desmond wasn't that old and Gloria Swanson was even younger. I have to look it up because it shocked me when I was looking at imdb or wikipedia one day.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
The real question is why you think morning tv anchors are different age-wise than the tv anchors at night...and are they really news anchors if they sit on a couch and chit chat?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:05 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,799,974 times
Because the executives are so afraid that a newbie won't be as good and right now they are holding on to Matt Lauer and giving him millions...for what reason?

They are very biased in what they show and probably feel that Matt Lauer, etc. can sell it all.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because the executives are so afraid that a newbie won't be as good and right now they are holding on to Matt Lauer and giving him millions...for what reason?

They are very biased in what they show and probably feel that Matt Lauer, etc. can sell it all.
Well a news report came out that two of Matt's coworkers are getting the axe

NBC Fires Back at Today Show Firing Rumors - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I grew up in a difference
What??
Quote:
so I'm always amazing how old are TV anchors as if TV stations required 30 year experience before getting those jobs.
Ummm .... That's exactly it, in many cases. Is "paying your dues" such an unfamilar concept?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,171,977 times
Does anyone remember Jessica Savitch? She was an anchorwoman for NBC, who died in a car accident many years ago, maybe 30 years ago even, I'm not sure, but I remember seeing her on the news and at the time I thought she was an older woman like in her 40s, not that she was old looking, but she seemed very poised and mature. She actually was only 36 years old when she passed away and already a veteran of the news business for a number of years. That is very young! People in their 30s today seem too young these days even in their dress and things they do for fun.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 PM

966 posts, read 1,350,764 times
They are the only ones that can get up early enough to do the show..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV