Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,306,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
One of my favorite episodes was when Starbuck was stranded on a planet with a cylon that he had been in combat against. The cylon had been damaged so that it did not remember its programming to kill all humans. They worked together to get rescued. I forgot how it ended.
I remember that one. It was excellent. Having Dirk Benedict featured wasn't bad either. I think I recorded the audio of that one to listen to again. Didn't have a way to record the picture, but it was something.

Starbuck struck me as someone who read very true given the situation. He doesn't make plans for the future or think much of the past, just the moment. He was the perfect foil for Richard Hatch's rather ernest good son.

I liked both series, and the old version was rather new for tv, being so dark, but didn't stand a chance right then when the prevelant themes were 'feel better'. Even trek fit better because it had a large dose of hope.

The new version was very dark and very involved with how a community would work when your running through space for your life. And that cylon's now look like them made a huge difference. For its time the first version was very good, but I would say that the same can be said of the new version as well. It's one of the shows I have on dvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,639,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The new version was very dark and very involved with how a community would work when your running through space for your life. And that cylon's now look like them made a huge difference. For its time the first version was very good, but I would say that the same can be said of the new version as well. It's one of the shows I have on dvd.
SyFy's excellent BSG reboot featured the primary humanoid Cylons (who were able to "body hop," or have their consciousness transferred to a new, identical form after death, so they could keep on keepin' on, so to speak), and they had the Cylon centurions who resembled the old school Cylons, but larger and even more robotic.

In the standalone 2007 movie, Battlestar Galactica: Razor, we got the old school Cylons. (Since they were entirely CGI, their legs and torsos were different.)

Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,051,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
SyFy's excellent BSG reboot featured the primary humanoid Cylons (who were able to "body hop," or have their consciousness transferred to a new, identical form after death, so they could keep on keepin' on, so to speak), and they had the Cylon centurions who resembled the old school Cylons, but larger and even more robotic.

In the standalone 2007 movie, Battlestar Galactica: Razor, we got the old school Cylons. (Since they were entirely CGI, their legs and torsos were different.)

None of those Cylons look like the ones I remember. They all look corny!

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,422,905 times
It was great (the original one, that is).

Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,190,585 times
I remember watching the premier of BG back in the seventies... I was blown away by the SFX of the time. I thought - what a GREAT show.

Then by the 3rd or 4th episode - after seeing the same Viper take 3 or 4 shots at the same Raider as it was climbing and banking to the right before getting hit - I got totally bored with the SFX.

The same hand on the joystock repeated pressing the turbo and fire buttons. I bet they regretted hiring Herbert Jefferson Jr because it cost them an extra fee for the "black hand" on the joystick. But then at least like the others, they only had to film it once.

Also from the beginning, I thought the Cylon Raiders were far cooler than the Colonial vipers.
At least I can say that I did like the Galactica as much as I did the Base Stars.

For all it's limits though, it was an interesting show for the few years; but is hard to watch now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7zDfGVh74

Old 08-14-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I remember watching the premier of BG back in the seventies... I was blown away by the SFX of the time. I thought - what a GREAT show.

Then by the 3rd or 4th episode - after seeing the same Viper take 3 or 4 shots at the same Raider as it was climbing and banking to the right before getting hit - I got totally bored with the SFX.

The same hand on the joystock repeated pressing the turbo and fire buttons. I bet they regretted hiring Herbert Jefferson Jr because it cost them an extra fee for the "black hand" on the joystick. But then at least like the others, they only had to film it once.

Also from the beginning, I thought the Cylon Raiders were far cooler than the Colonial vipers.
At least I can say that I did like the Galactica as much as I did the Base Stars.

For all it's limits though, it was an interesting show for the few years; but is hard to watch now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7zDfGVh74

As a supporter of the original series, I will admit they tried too hard to establish a culture of this Battlestar group seeking Earth, especially with the time: A "centon"? Even Star Wars used minutes and seconds as measures of time in their part of the galaxy! Came off corny everytime I heard somebody mention it. "Now hold on a centon"

Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
None of those Cylons look like the ones I remember. They all look corny!
The helms of the three Cylons in the Raider (middle pic) and the Cylon in the bottom pic are modeled on those from the original series. But I guess visual aids only go so far.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
As a supporter of the original series, I will admit they tried too hard to establish a culture of this Battlestar group seeking Earth, especially with the time: A "centon"? Even Star Wars used minutes and seconds as measures of time in their part of the galaxy! Came off corny everytime I heard somebody mention it. "Now hold on a centon"
It's no more or less dumb than "I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs." You like it or you don't.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
It's no more or less dumb than "I made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs." You like it or you don't.
A parsec is a real unit of measure, unlike a 'centon'.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM

12,423 posts, read 8,212,014 times
Quote:
The helms of the three Cylons in the Raider (middle pic) and the Cylon in the bottom pic are modeled on those from the original series. But I guess visual aids only go so far.
I thought the OP was referring to the Skinjobs being corny? It couldn't have been the new model Centurion or the self aware Raider that did not have a three Centurion flight crew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV