Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,326,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The helms of the three Cylons in the Raider (middle pic) and the Cylon in the bottom pic are modeled on those from the original series. But I guess visual aids only go so far.
With the cylons in charge the humanoid versions, the robotic ones became the shock troops and clearly the underlings. The humanoid cylons had already formed a self identity of themselves and viewed them as tools. It was implied in the old series that cylon commanders were like their soldiers, but with commanders. Making the cylons humanoid also gave them senses they hadn't had, and not just programmed 'rules'. It added a great complexity to them as conquerers as well, since they were dealing with a much more complex world. I think it added a lot to the show, given that it was harder to say just what makes one human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,057,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
With the cylons in charge the humanoid versions, the robotic ones became the shock troops and clearly the underlings. The humanoid cylons had already formed a self identity of themselves and viewed them as tools. It was implied in the old series that cylon commanders were like their soldiers, but with commanders. Making the cylons humanoid also gave them senses they hadn't had, and not just programmed 'rules'. It added a great complexity to them as conquerers as well, since they were dealing with a much more complex world. I think it added a lot to the show, given that it was harder to say just what makes one human.
Why make it more complex in the first place? I *got* the whole Cylon thing the first time around, 37 years ago. Show makers must think people are really dense nowadays!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:18 AM

12,449 posts, read 8,249,163 times
Well if anything was cheesy, corny the first time around it was tough to beat the sparkly headed Cylon leaders in the original series. The Skinjobs in the reboot was an improvement in my eyes.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,604,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well if anything was cheesy, corny the first time around it was tough to beat the sparkly headed Cylon leaders in the original series. The Skinjobs in the reboot was an improvement in my eyes.

Copy that. Trish Helfer, Grace Park, and my fave, Ms Sackoff, fine looking Cylons.

Hard to believe we're talking about this show after 37 jahrens.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Why make it more complex in the first place? I *got* the whole Cylon thing the first time around, 37 years ago. Show makers must think people are really dense nowadays!
The reboot is much more complex a story. They knew who the Cylons were, these metallic robots, in the origional. It was simple. They were machines. It was expected that something not a machine was controlling them, but they had no reason to suspect your neighbor, who suddenly starts acting odd, might be a cylon. The discovery that anyone could be a cylon changed the game entirely.

It expanded the questions. The old style cylons were just the foot soldiers, and the humanoid cylons their officers. But the theme is different. It ask, what makes a human? The humanoid cylons are biological related to humans. They can make babies with them. If there were more than the limited number of 'models', there would be no obvious way of identifying them, even some are hot shot viper pilots who have no clue what they are.

It also is much more about how these masses of people without a home keep what's left by carrying on their government even in exile, running through space. They maintain their government. They even hold elections. But the secret is kept that your neighbor could be a cylon and you'd never know because their identity is all they have left.

The first show was about the survivors of near genocide running through space in hopes of a new home. The sciffy channel show took that as a base and looked far deeper and ask the basic question of what makes a human.

I liked the first show for the dark theme and the story of this small group of peoples new lives. But the new version started there and ask much deeper questions. Both are good and both a product of their time.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
It shows how much it really had to say, especially about the nature of humanity.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:51 PM

15,094 posts, read 12,280,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
When I was in elementary school, this series was heavily hyped and had its own line of toys. I remember a sad case of a three-year-old boy firing a missile from one of the toys into his mouth, causing his lungs to collapse and killing him. The company then redesigned the toys so they wouldn't launch missiles.
Back to BG, I guess it cost too much for the ratings it was getting.
A Tale of Two Galacticas - Television Obscurities
There is a local NBC station on our cable lineup that shows old shows after 6PM, including the original Battlestar Galactica, the original and later versions of Star Trek, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk (I think). I remember the original Battlestar Galactica, and followed it then. The reruns refreshed my memory as to how silly I thought it was.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 PM

322 posts, read 277,542 times
after Star Wars came out, all these space sci fi movies and TV shows came out of the woodwork

Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM

12,449 posts, read 8,249,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
after Star Wars came out, all these space sci fi movies and TV shows came out of the woodwork
I would put Buck Rogers in The 25th Century, over Battlestar Galactica, including the second season soft reboot over the Galatica 1980 soft reboot . Even if the single guy out of time and place has been done to death and the survivors of genocide fleeing was something new.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,757,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I would put Buck Rogers in The 25th Century, over Battlestar Galactica, including the second season soft reboot over the Galatica 1980 soft reboot . Even if the single guy out of time and place has been done to death and the survivors of genocide fleeing was something new.
Not!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1W6OlH3ms0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV