Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 10:40 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
This was a much more enjoyable explanation while preserving Sheldon's memory of the event in TBBT.

Totally consistent.

YAY!
But speaking of consistency, I just watched a couple of clips where Sheldon's mother visited Sheldon in the BBT. I thought a SIGNIFICANTLY different acting character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 06:43 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But speaking of consistency, I just watched a couple of clips where Sheldon's mother visited Sheldon in the BBT. I thought a SIGNIFICANTLY different acting character.
True as it was someone else.

Here's a kicker. Even though it looks like Georgie and Mandy will be getting their own show, they get divorced down the road. Actually Georgie gets divorced twice as explained in the last episode of TBBT.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Here's a kicker. Even though it looks like Georgie and Mandy will be getting their own show, they get divorced down the road. Actually Georgie gets divorced twice as explained in the last episode of TBBT.
Maybe. YOUNG SHELDON has proved that it isn't shy about retconning "canon" from THE BIG BANG THEORY. Which is smart. They are very different types of shows.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:17 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Very different types of shows.

I recall upthread that Young Sheldon has been compared to The Wonder Years. I believe that's due to Jim Parson's voice-overs, comparable to Daniel Stern's voice-overs as an adult Kevin Arnold. But I did read recently that the producers of Young Sheldon are consciously pursuing more of a Malcom in the Middle vibe - how having a young genius in the family affects the family members.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Very different types of shows.

I recall upthread that Young Sheldon has been compared to The Wonder Years. I believe that's due to Jim Parson's voice-overs, comparable to Daniel Stern's voice-overs as an adult Kevin Arnold. But I did read recently that the producers of Young Sheldon are consciously pursuing more of a Malcom in the Middle vibe - how having a young genius in the family affects the family members.
Well put.

TBBT was a typical sitcom. Every episode was structured around forced jokes, blatant punchlines, and canned laugh tracks. Three cameras on a traditional "stage" set, with most episodes centered around only a few sets. Even supposed "outside" scenes are obviously inside sets.

Even though YS is very funny, it is more of a drama. Getting to the next joke is not the aim of every scene. A single camera with movie sets and lots of outdoor and on location shots. I'm sure this makes every episode a lot more expensive to make, but the end result is worth it. The show looks real. TBBT looked fake.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:44 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well put.

TBBT was a typical sitcom. Every episode was structured around forced jokes, blatant punchlines, and canned laugh tracks. Three cameras on a traditional "stage" set, with most episodes centered around only a few sets. Even supposed "outside" scenes are obviously inside sets.

Even though YS is very funny, it is more of a drama. Getting to the next joke is not the aim of every scene. A single camera with movie sets and lots of outdoor and on location shots. I'm sure this makes every episode a lot more expensive to make, but the end result is worth it. The show looks real. TBBT looked fake.
TBBT looked more like a play. It consists of 3 acts. That's the way the BBC productions used to be. Sure it's cheaper, but more is required of the writers and secondarily, the actors, to deliver the lines. That's why they film it in front of a live audience. Even if they use a different laugh track, it's the audience reactions that motivate the actors and influence the timing.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:51 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
I have to say, the opening scene this last episode was pretty funny.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
I am going to miss YS as I do think the writing is funny and the characters are very convincing. I turn it off after YS as Ghosts , So Help Me Todd, and Elsbeth don't seem to be worth watching and can't get interested in them.

Old Today, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am going to miss YS as I do think the writing is funny and the characters are very convincing.
Check out SON OF A CRITCH. The main character isn't a genius on the spectrum, but it is a similar type coming of age story with great writing, great acting, and lovable characters. It airs on the CW, but it isn't actually a CW show. It's a Canadian production for which the CW bought US distribution rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV