Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,548,409 times

Advertisements

As for timelines: My daughter who has finished S1 tells me the Yennifer plotline was 30 years past and the Ciri plotline 15 years in the future.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 05:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,240,833 times
I saw all the episodes. Didn’t read the books or play the game. It’s pretty violent. I don’t like the time jumping either. At least give Henry different hair style for different time line.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:21 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
I usually like it when shows/movies play with time, but it felt kind of unnecessarily convoluted here. I think the character's arcs would have had more resonance if they'd been a bit more episodic, like here's Yennefer's story, here's Geralt's story, here are a few world building stories, here's Ciri's story, now let's bring them all together. Mixing them just made for some weird tonal shifts within episodes.

A geography lesson at some point would have been really helpful. And some insight into why we're supposed to be anti-Temeria, other than "they don't follow the Geneva conventions."

Old 12-24-2019, 04:33 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I saw all the episodes. Didn’t read the books or play the game. It’s pretty violent. I don’t like the time jumping either. At least give Henry different hair style for different time line.
I don’t understand why people complain that something like The Witcher is violent. Surly you saw the preview....

Old 12-24-2019, 06:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I agree. They should have made his hair style different or added scars on his face to insinuate a time change.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don’t understand why people complain that something like The Witcher is violent. Surly you saw the preview....
The previews are much of a small portion of highlights about the entire show, or a little of everything and not enough to form an opinion about the show.

I was so bored watching some of the episodes up to perhaps the 5th, that In used the FF button of the remote a bunch of times to fast-forward to an interesting spot, then I gave up watching the show.

Old 12-25-2019, 01:55 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
It definitely helps to have context from playing the games or reading the books. Hopefully the second season will be more friendly for those who are new to the story/franchise.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The previews are much of a small portion of highlights about the entire show, or a little of everything and not enough to form an opinion about the show.

I was so bored watching some of the episodes up to perhaps the 5th, that In used the FF button of the remote a bunch of times to fast-forward to an interesting spot, then I gave up watching the show.
Darren Franich is that you...?

Old 12-25-2019, 09:59 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,381,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I'm wondering if closed captioning would help me.

Me too Creekcat. I could hardly understand what they were saying. Sounded like they were they were talking underwater. Tried it on two tvs and on my computer. Guess I need to go to the ear doctor.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It definitely helps to have context from playing the games or reading the books. Hopefully the second season will be more friendly for those who are new to the story/franchise.
The episodes are based on two books of short stories published in Poland in early 1990s by Andrzej Sapkowski (Polish pronunciation: [ˈandʐɛj sapˈkɔfskʲi]; born 21 June 1948)

Sword of Destiny ( Miecz przeznaczenia) published 1992 - 6 stories
The Last Wish (Ostatnie życzenie) published 1993 - 7 stories

1 "The End's Beginning" Based on "The Lesser Evil". | Mniejsze zło from The Last Wish (Ostatnie życzenie)
2 "Four Marks" Based on "The Edge of the World". | Kraniec świata
3 "Betrayer Moon" Based on "The Witcher" | Wiedźmin
4 "Of Banquets, Bastards and Burials" Based on "A Question of Price". |Kwestia ceny
5 "Bottled Appetites" Based on "The Last Wish". | Ostatnie życzenie
6 "Rare Species" Based on "The Bounds of Reason". | Granica możliwości
7 "Before a Fall" Based on "Something More". | Coś więcej from Sword of Destiny ( Miecz przeznaczenia)
8 "Much More" Based on "Something More". | Coś więcej from Sword of Destiny ( Miecz przeznaczenia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV