Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:05 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Comedy is my favorite genre overall. I will do some research on this show. The combination of science fiction and comedy could be very enticing.
Eureka was pretty decent and never got the respect it deserved. In the later seasons it also got into time travel and alternate timelines.

One of my favorite lines was in a later season when faced with a tough problem, the sheriff (who had always been the normal-intelligence "everyman") came up with an amazing technobabble solution. The geniuses in the room looked at him in wonder and he said, "What? I pay attention."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:07 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,517,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you go with this one (which I'd also recommend), do yourself a favor and start with the second episode... trust me, Season 1 Ep 1 probably turned off a LOT of people to the show! Ugh is all I can say.

One more suggestion, which is available through Tubi TV: The Dark Half, based on the Stephen King novel. I just randomly came across it one day, and got hooked pretty fast!
Au contraire, the first episode is what convinced me that this is a show worth watching. After that ending, I knew that the producers were not gonna water down the material

Old 07-26-2018, 12:38 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,220,293 times
For time travel, Dark, on Netflix. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

There are the same people in three different time periods which makes it hard to keep track of who is who, so read this before you watch: https://www.tvguide.com/news/dark-ho...ected-netflix/

Old 07-26-2018, 12:53 PM

125 posts, read 81,864 times
12 Monkeys https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3148266/

Old 07-27-2018, 03:39 AM

21,934 posts, read 25,286,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am not into the space wars type of science fiction TV show. I couldn't care less about Star Wars, Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. I enjoy shows that focus on or feature wormholes, parallel universes, alternate dimensions and even time travel. I guess I am more into the scientific theory and exploration aspects than the good versus evil paradigm.

Based on the following five TV series, what would you recommend for additional science fiction TV programs?
  1. Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis, Universe)
  2. Sliders
  3. Fringe
  4. Quantum Leap
  5. X-Files
For Stargate:
Firefly and Battlestar Galactica for sure. Firefly is more cult classic than actually great. Battlestar is fantastic.
Dollhouse if you really like Firefly otherwise skip.

Never watched Sliders.

Fringe:
Alcatraz (one season only)
Warehouse 13
Person of Interest (less sci-fi, more suspense), Patriot on Amazon if you like it.
Lost, more supernatural than science fiction. Both Fringe and Lost are JJ Abrams co-creations. As is Alias, but that's more straight suspense.
The Expanse
PK Dick's Electric Dreams
Doctor Who and Torchwood which is a spinoff of Doctor Who, different. Lighter and more slapstick but somewhat similar.

X-Files:
Twilight Zone obviously.
Black Mirror
Black Mirror again because it's awesome.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-27-2018 at 03:50 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 12:15 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Au contraire, the first episode is what convinced me that this is a show worth watching. After that ending, I knew that the producers were not gonna water down the material
Good point... and usually I'm not easily offended or grossed out, but that specific "area" is my personal line.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:40 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Good point... and usually I'm not easily offended or grossed out, but that specific "area" is my personal line.
I heard about it, skipped that episode, and am still glad I did.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:12 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
If you go with this one (which I'd also recommend), do yourself a favor and start with the second episode... trust me, Season 1 Ep 1 probably turned off a LOT of people to the show! Ugh is all I can say.
After watching the first episode, I couldn't watch any more for weeks.

Don't get me wrong. It is BRILLIANT social commentary. But it is very, very hard to watch.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,993,509 times
Have you tried Counterpart on Starz? I've only watched one episode so far, but it strongly reminds me of Fringe, with an alternate world. I'm getting episodes from amazon.com.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:20 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,284,623 times
Fringe was a very unique TV series. I don't think anything out there can be as good, because of the number of great actors and actresses in that show, and because of numerous other issues, including cinematography, dimensional effects/travel, and the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV