Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:48 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It seems that this is almost everyone's favorite episode or very close to and I don't understand why, compared to a lot of other episodes.

Mostly The Soup Nazi character is all a one joke, and makes for a one joke episode over and over it feels. I also feel that the subplot involving the armoire was not that funny either.

So why is it that this is considered to be the best one by so many, if not one of the very best?
Perhaps they just meant that character is memorable? When asked my favorite episode - I don't think there is any specific episode that come to mind, but here are just lines or moments that are classics. The scene where they were waiting for a table at the Chinese restaurant, Elaine and George's dad getting into a fight in the police department, the contest, Festivus, George doing the opposite, etc.

Actually, for me, anything w/ George tends to be on the top of my list. He had some of the best lines.

"My name is George, I'm unemployed and I live at home with my parents".

Old 10-30-2018, 01:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It's funnier partly if you've lived in New York for any amount of time and are familiar with the quirky independent restaurateurs there.

There are a million food stands in NYC, and this guy served as an exaggerated representation of that type, plus it poked fun at people's willingness to subject themselves to ridiculous standards just for a bowl of soup.

The armoire thing to me was also a classic NY story because it is always a pain to try and get furniture moved into an apartment building, and the tie-in with Kramer and the bullying gay guys was just perfect.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Maybe because it is SOOOO stupid. So stupid it makes me laugh right now....and then

Elaine finding the soup recipe...and so gloating...the whole thing is so ridiculous!!!
Being banned from the shop...endlessly bizarre.

That's why it's funny....so ridiculous! Inane.
Snobby restaurant chef magnified to a T...
plus his speech...staccato, few words...

military-like aura to him.

Not the funniest but top ten IMO.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:26 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
I think now in the late 2018s folks just don't understand FUNNY anymore .

Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Swear to god I came in here to post the exact same thing with pretty much the same wording. Like most Seinfeld episodes it's just funny in its stupidity. Even the little things--the terrified black guy who was next in line to face a terrifying Soup Nazi. Elaine gloating (which kills me every time). Jerry warning George 'just let it go' about the missing bread.

Stupid comfort humor, which is why I don't think I'll ever grow weary of Seinfeld or The Honeymooners.

So art really does imitate life!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:45 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
It seems that this is almost everyone's favorite episode or very close to and I don't understand why, compared to a lot of other episodes.

Mostly The Soup Nazi character is all a one joke, and makes for a one joke episode over and over it feels. I also feel that the subplot involving the armoire was not that funny either.

So why is it that this is considered to be the best one by so many, if not one of the very best?
I am a big Seinfeld fan, and I would put the Soup Nazi episode in the top 15 but not at the top.

Off the top of my head, I would put all 3 of these episodes ahead of the Soup Nazi episode:

The Voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjmgzLVuWLU

The Stock Tip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAVsU1Y_OMs

The Van Buren Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCF-DUR0GmU

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 10-30-2018 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 06:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
"Just let it go"....thanks for that memory.
And then Newman, and of course, Cramer is buds with the Soup Nazi:You suffer for your soup...absolutely ridiculous Larry David stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySlr0Qb9aI

Old 10-30-2018, 06:58 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:

For one, 'funny' is subjective. I don't know why some people find this so hard to understand.

I love the Coen brothers. But Raising Arizona does nothing for me. Nothing. Yet I know people who think it's absolutely hilarious (as I do with The Big Lebowski). But this doesn't mystify me. Because... personal tastes!

As to the Soup Nazi?

Well, there's the simple absurdity of being a 'Nazi' over soup-kitchen rules. I guess if you need this explained to you then you won't ever get it. There's the commentary on how people who want something bad enough are willing to cowtow and conform however necessary to get it. And the side-story? Kramer being intimidated by effeminate toughs? The juxtaposition of appreciation for old furniture with tough-guy threats? Again, if you don't 'get' this then you just don't.

Humor is visceral. Stop worrying if something that amuses others doesn't amuse you.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Come on, the gay thieves...!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qnvoLYLr8

Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The absurdity of it all ... Makes me chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV