Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,266,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
My mother the Car.
Apparently some things must be presented seriously in order to be accepted, while others must be comedies. A talking car in a sit-com was unacceptable, but a talking car in Knight Rider lasted four seasons.

The opposite effect is seen where The Blue Light, a 1966 drama series with Robert Goulet as a spy behind Nazi lines, lasted but a single season. However, the year before that saw the first of a seven season run for Hogan's Heroes, a sit-com featuring slap happy, bungling Nazis outwitted by POWs operating behind German lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,946,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Crap shows that I can't believe ever took off? The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. I can't believe audiences actually think those "relationships" are real. No one behaves normally when they're in front of a camera crew and know that hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people will eventually watch their most intimate moments on TV. What a crock!
I saw a commercial for the latest edition last night, and I felt exactly the way you're describing. I've never watched these shows. The premise is just too ridiculous. And the current guy isn't even that good-looking.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:30 PM

4,002 posts, read 5,204,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Apparently some things must be presented seriously in order to be accepted, while others must be comedies. A talking car in a sit-com was unacceptable, but a talking car in Knight Rider lasted four seasons.

The opposite effect is seen where The Blue Light, a 1966 drama series with Robert Goulet as a spy behind Nazi lines, lasted but a single season. However, the year before that saw the first of a seven season run for Hogan's Heroes, a sit-com featuring slap happy, bungling Nazis outwitted by POWs operating behind German lines.
You underestimate the power of The Hoff.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,597,251 times
BJ and the Bear - three seasons

"....a professional freelance itinerant trucker who travels the country's highways in a red and white Kenworth K-100 Aerodyne... with his pet chimpanzee Bear"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._J._and_the_Bear

Old 01-29-2019, 11:28 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,537,242 times
Sister Wives. Show about a bunch of whiners being dominated by an ugly little control freak.
Also Dr Pimple Popper is a show i cant bring myself to watch.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:51 AM

22,995 posts, read 28,465,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

"....a professional freelance itinerant trucker who travels the country's highways in a red and white Kenworth K-100 Aerodyne... with his pet chimpanzee Bear"

I loved that show when I was a kid. It's high time they re-made it. Only this time, it should be Chris Pratt's character from the Jurassic movies. And rather than a hero trucker driver and his chimp, it would be Pratt roaming the highways of America on his motorcycle with his best friend, Blue the Velociraptor. Every week they'll have adventures, saving pretty ladies from peril.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:58 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,500,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

Lassie
Gentle Ben
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
The 'Dirty Harry and his Orangutan Friend' movies
Flipper

Fiction about friendships between a human and a (non-human) animal are common. They're not an unusual idea but a recurring one. No one should be surprised that they exist and are enjoyed.

This thread seems to be yet another one where people just list examples that they don't like, because if they didn't like them it's inexplicable to them that anyone else does. There are many series that don't interest e in the slightest, yet I am not at all surprised that others do. I don't think my personal viewing tastes are some sort of gold standard by which the masses must be measured.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 AM

23,594 posts, read 44,359,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timd48 View Post
What TV Show that you cant believe took off and lasted more than a season because the premise seemed to be so out there

I have two that I still cant believe they lasted awhile on the air and became hugely popular:

Mister ED

Alf

both shows were funny, but I cant believe the premise of these shows (a talking horse and a wisecracking alien life form took off the way that it did)

What are yours?
In the 60's and early 70's, any idiotic plot line was fair game.

Green Acres
My Mother The Car
I Dream of Jeannie
Gilligan's Island*
My Favorite Martian
The Beverly Hillbillies

And what was with all the dead parents?

Bachelor Father
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
The Brady Bunch
Family Affair
The Andy Griffith Show
Nanny and the Professor

*NO ONE expected Gilligan's Island to succeed, including the producers. Natalie Schaffer took the role of Lovey Howell because she would get a free trip to Hawaii out of it; she was actually pissed when CBS picked up the series, as she was looking forward to retirement.
Also, Dawn Wells was the only cast member to get rich off the show. Her agent/husband negotiated syndication royalties into her contract; no one else thought the series had a chance of being picked up, so they didn't bother. The producers didn't balk at the demand, as they thought that they had nothing to lose by granting it. Go, Mary Ann...she earned millions off that one little concession.

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-30-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM

1,584 posts, read 991,215 times
Hogan’s Heroes. Lasted six seasons, too.

The Patty Duke Show with its weird “identical cousins” conceit. Lasted three seasons.

Several of the teen and kid appeal shows like The Brady Bunch, Welcome Back Kotter, and The Partridge Family also qualify. Five, four, and four seasons each for these three. Unwatchable then, unwatchable now.

And yeah, My Mother the Car is every bit as bad as advertised.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,831,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Hogan’s Heroes. Lasted six seasons, too.
MAD Magazine once proposed a rib-tickling, yuck-a-minute spinoff set in a concentration camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV