Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM

268 posts, read 100,736 times

Advertisements

What TV Show that you cant believe took off and lasted more than a season because the premise seemed to be so out there

I have two that I still cant believe they lasted awhile on the air and became hugely popular:

Mister ED

Alf

both shows were funny, but I cant believe the premise of these shows (a talking horse and a wisecracking alien life form took off the way that it did)

What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM

157 posts, read 91,670 times
This isn't exactly what you're going for but my vote goes to The Dome. It was supposed to be a one-off, limited episode summer filler show that wrapped everything up in a season. However, I guess it got just popular enough they decided to milk another season. It was not great but I stuck w/ the first season to see how it ended. Once they announced S2 I never did tune back in to find out what it was all about. Just wasn't that good. Still don't know what the Dome was...Lol!

Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,853,512 times
Bewitched.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:59 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,782,415 times
It's easy to think of shows with completely absurd premises... but most were played at a completely absurd level. Bewitched, Alf, My Favorite Martian, Mork and Mindy... all very stupid one-shot ideas that lasted multiple seasons simply because they were played out on the stupid level.

A more challenging question might be an absurd, even stupid premise that is played out seriously, with an attempt to put the premise in something like the real world.

Two brothers tooling around the country Route 66-style, fighting and killing monsters, for example. No way that could stretch out more than two weak seasons.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timd48 View Post
What TV Show that you cant believe took off and lasted more than a season because the premise seemed to be so out there

What are yours?
After I heard the premise, I couldn't believe this show lasted more than an episode.

After I watched an episode, I never missed another. I think I binged 3 seasons in 2 days.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
After I heard the premise, I couldn't believe this show lasted more than an episode.
For the win.

Although the only really stupid/unbelievable point was the first one it all turned on - that a tenured public school teacher somehow didn't have health insurance.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,176,003 times
'Lost'.
That never should have lasted as long as it did. It seemed like the writers were winging it the whole time.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,255,709 times
Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix.
We actually sort of enjoyed season 1 but have felt no real desire to watch season 2.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
'Lost'.
That never should have lasted as long as it did. It seemed like the writers were winging it the whole time.
That's a whole different subject. Starting a show with a half-thought concept that the runners allow the individual episode writers to run with leads to the kind of muddled disaster that was Lost.

The best example of how/not to is Babylon 5 vs. the remake of Battlestar Galactica. B5 (despite some hurdles) was planned out start to finish, end to end; there are things set up in the first few episodes that are cleanly resolved in the last few, and very, very few major slips in continuity or story progress. BSG wandered off into five weird and incompatible sub-plots by the third season and could barely be pulled together for a conclusion.

Carnivale, although terminated early, had many moments of complete weirdness and surprise, but every one of them folded neatly into the storyline, eventually. Nothing was left to random chance. ("I know who you are." "Yes, but do you know what that means?")

But that's separate from just having a weird/strange/complex concept.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Although the only really stupid/unbelievable point was the first one it all turned on - that a tenured public school teacher somehow didn't have health insurance.
Walt had insurance, but not one that would pay for the state's top oncologist.

Supposedly, after Vince Gilligan pitched Breaking Bad to an executive at AMC, detailing a show about a high school chemistry teacher who gets cancer and decides to cook meth, the executive sat silent for a minute, then said. "That is the worst idea for a TV show I have ever heard. Go make it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV