Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times

Advertisements

...this one, about the divergent tales of kidnapping victim, Steven Stayner, and his brother, Yosemite serial killer Cary Stayner.

These 2-hour "documentaries," as ABC is calling them, have been very well done. Last week, they aired an in-depth one about the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker PTL (Praise The Lady/Pass The Loot) affair. The week before, Robert Blake was the subject. What I liked about them is that they were retrospectives, with updates. We saw Jim Bakker today and, even though he wasn't planning to appear on camera, Robert Blake (who likes to talk lol).

And they don't just explore crimes, either. One of their subjects was JFK, Jr. I didn't see that one, though, because I didn't think there was anything about him we hadn't already seen. I may have been wrong, though, because the ones I did watch had a lot of new info (admittedly, about old news) and footage.

I'll be watching tonight, though the subject matter surrounding this serial killer is pretty dire, as I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 12:57 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,497 times
I watched the JFK Jr one. There wasn't anything new in there that I hadn't heard or seen before. You didn't miss anything.
I still have to watch the one about Jim and Tammy Faye.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
...this one, about the divergent tales of kidnapping victim, Steven Stayner, and his brother, Yosemite serial killer Cary Stayner.

These 2-hour "documentaries," as ABC is calling them, have been very well done. Last week, they aired an in-depth one about the Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker PTL (Praise The Lady/Pass The Loot) affair. The week before, Robert Blake was the subject. What I liked about them is that they were retrospectives, with updates. We saw Jim Bakker today and, even though he wasn't planning to appear on camera, Robert Blake (who likes to talk lol).

And they don't just explore crimes, either. One of their subjects was JFK, Jr. I didn't see that one, though, because I didn't think there was anything about him we hadn't already seen. I may have been wrong, though, because the ones I did watch had a lot of new info (admittedly, about old news) and footage.

I'll be watching tonight, though the subject matter surrounding this serial killer is pretty dire, as I recall.

I'll likely watch...read a book about Cary's crimes.....just unbelievable and fascinating...

missed Jim and Tammy. I was living in Charlotte when they had their Pass The Loot club....the radio stations gave them that name...laughing all the while.

Saw the JFK Jr....more photos than I'd seen plus maybe a bit more info, nothing very important.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up--I have all 20/20s set to record, but I didn't know about tonight's, and that case was really fascinating.

I got about half way through the Bakkers, but having lived through every detail played out over and over in the media--and not being very interested in tv evangelists anyhow--I got bored. That con artist couple was really hard to take--ripping off people in the name of God is such a turn-off. What really stands out from that time is still her mascara.

I think I'd rather watch Steve Martin in A Leap of Faith.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,406 times
I used to be fascinated with this case. I watched the movie "I Know My First Name Is Steven" when I was quite young and kind of followed him ever since.
Thanks for the heads up - I'll watch on Hulu tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'll likely watch...read a book about Cary's crimes.....just unbelievable and fascinating...

missed Jim and Tammy. I was living in Charlotte when they had their Pass The Loot club....the radio stations gave them that name...laughing all the while.

Saw the JFK Jr....more photos than I'd seen plus maybe a bit more info, nothing very important.

Yeah, the details of Stayner's crimes are horrific.

And I think I meant to say "PAY the Lady" lol. I wasn't prepared to see footage again of Tammy Faye's appearance on Larry King just before she died. Very sad. When her husband was in prison, I thought she belonged right there with him.

In any event, I'm enjoying these more than their hour-long programs.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Thanks for the heads up--I have all 20/20s set to record, but I didn't know about tonight's, and that case was really fascinating.

I got about half way through the Bakkers, but having lived through every detail played out over and over in the media--and not being very interested in tv evangelists anyhow--I got bored. That con artist couple was really hard to take--ripping off people in the name of God is such a turn-off. What really stands out from that time is still her mascara.

I think I'd rather watch Steve Martin in A Leap of Faith.
LOL They "went there," too, including footage of the late Jan Hooks doing her impression of Tammy Faye on SNL.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:

The Steven Stayner book and miniseries (late 1980s) called "I Know My First Name is Steven" was very sad and very well done. His early death was heartbreaking, too. I'm going to have to catch this one On Demand. I didn't know it was on.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Let me tell you all this whole stayner family was whacked and I will tell you this , the mother kay had said her father had sexually abused her and yet she let grandpa live with them while her girls were living there too . what kind of mother allows that ? Delbert the stayner father passed away I believe mom stayner is still alive . I think the whole family was strange from the beginning . Mother kay seemed like she liked the publicity of steven missing I kid you not / everytime you saw her on tv she was smiling . Okay , Tammy faye and Jim Baker crooks and I had to tell my grandma to stop sending them money . I used to watch them and study her and I would say okay here come the tears and I kid you not , they would start and my brother would look at me and say , how did you know she was going to cry ? I just had to laugh . Then we found out that a reverend friend of theirs who was on their show quite often died of aids fletcher was his last name I do believe . It was just a sad situation in both cases .

Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
I watched the 20/20 episode. I never followed either story IRT when they were happening so I found it very interesting. It was sad that both Steven and the boy he rescued both died at such young ages.

Cary Staynor, a psychopath for sure. If the mother and grandfather are the people I am remembering, yep, a family of whackos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV