Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 07:16 AM

724 posts, read 408,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The final episode was okay, but it embraced the one element the show has shied away from so far: It played it safe. This was a safe, typical, MCU ending. Good guys fighting bad guys till the bad guy finally falls down. The Vision resolution was fun and well done but was almost incidental, considering all the hype the show had built up around it.
I hear comments like these all the time and I respect them, but I always wonder, what would be an "unsafe" ending? Can you give an example (based on the series so far)? I hear this a lot but nobody can seem to actually articulate what this would look like. Perhaps that's why it ended the way it did. It's hard to "end" a show/movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 08:09 AM

22,981 posts, read 28,436,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I hear comments like these all the time and I respect them, but I always wonder, what would be an "unsafe" ending? Can you give an example (based on the series so far)? I hear this a lot but nobody can seem to actually articulate what this would look like.
How does every, single superhero movie end? The good guys(s) and the bad guy(s) get into a big fight, punching each other, either literally or with their super powers, until one of them doesn't get up any more. Last one standing wins.

That is what every single super-hero movie does. It is beyond old. It's even beyond cliche at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
Perhaps that's why it ended the way it did. It's hard to "end" a show/movie
It is indeed. Up until the final episode WandaVision had done a great job of doing that. Then it fell back to doing things safe. It wasn't bad. It was just typical. But there are movies, even genre movies, who have managed to do something truly different and unexpected.

BLADE RUNNER. The audience realizes: The hero has been the villain all along, and the guy we thought was the villain turns the actual villain to repentance before he dies.

UNBREAKABLE. The final resolution is entirely emotional and psychological, not two guys punching each other.

KILL BILL, VOL. 2. Tarantino is hardly known for his restraint. But the final confrontation in this movie is brilliant in how it keeps ratcheting the tension up and up and up so that when it finally resolves, it happens in 5 seconds and is utterly satisfying.

TAXI DRIVER. This does actually end in quite the bloodbath, but it is subversive, because by now the audience has realized our "hero" isn't a hero at all. The guy is crazy and a ticking time bomb.

And then you've got movies like CHINATOWN and THE WICKER MAN and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN or ROSEMARY'S BABY and BRAZIL where the bad guys win.

So there you go. That is how not to play it safe.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:06 PM

7,268 posts, read 7,144,051 times
Well we finished it a few days ago. Been letting it stew in my head before giving an opinion.

A bit unfinished. I realize things may be dealt with in upcoming movies so this was probably intentional.

I did like all the Wanda back story we got. A slight departure from the Ultron movie but not terribly annoying in the inconsistency.

I was unsatisfied with how Agatha was dealt with - after all, everyone in that town knows what happened between her and Wanda. Is she really going to live her life out in peace? Also, Agatha has powers too - so is she really not going to find a way back to them?

What happened to white vision? Is no one going to try and find him, including hydra, shield or sword, and especially Wanda?

Everyone in that town was hit with the hex barrier twice. Twice was enough to start messing with Monica's DNA, what about everyone else, including Darcy?

And don't get me started about Pietro. That made no sense.

Also, there was no conclusion, or even progress, on the person who was in 'witness protection' that disappeared, which is what brought Agent Woo there to begin with.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:37 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,942,917 times
It was overall a fine series, one of the best comic-TV series I've seen. It built things up so well and the anticipation also built up the hype as to how this would end.

That said, I think the final episode was a little meh, mostly because of how unpredictable it was and how much buildup there was. It's always hard to close out something like this when the build-up is that high; although to Marvel's credit, I thought it would be impossible to live up to the hype in closing out Infinity War and End Game, and they executed those almost as good as can be expected, so they can do it.

But this one had some problems and felt a little rushed. My thoughts were:

Evan Peter's Quicksilver. He is such a good character and fan favorite. I'm confused as to what they were thinking with his character. It was the perfect way to develop some crossover with the Xmen. Not sure why they would throw that away for a cheap laugh.

I liked Agnes/Agatha a lot. She is definitely coming back. In the comics, she is Wanda's mentor and Wanda's last line about "[knowing where to find her if she needs her]" indicates that she'll be back, but I still feel like there could have been a better way to close out her story line. Rather than just the traditional battle.

I did like the Vision vs Vision battle and thought that fit well. I especially like the "intellectual fight" at the end. That was pretty cool.

I really loved when Wanda went full Scarlet Witch, with the awesome costume and all. The costume was amazing.

I felt that Monica Rambeau was way underdeveloped. They built her up to be a really important character, but in the grand scheme of things, she disappeared in critical parts of the show, so her overall role was a little diminished.

I also thought the kids were underdeveloped too. I'm not familiar with the comics and I know they are important to the Young Avengers, but I was confused with how they got their powers and especially how they fit into the grand scheme of things since they were just "part of the show." Although in the ending explanation when they are calling out for Wanda, I guess it's building up that there is a multi-verse, which is confusing because they were just created by Wanda. Anyway...they were underdeveloped.

I do agree that it was weird how Wanda was really a villain, but it was essentially ignored. The show was shot as if she was the hero. I guess it is more of a classic Anti-Hero role, but still, I agree she should have been put in place. I thought Monica Rambeau would have attempted that (although doesn't have the powers to hurt Wanda). As others have hinted, maybe Dr. Strange gets payback on her for what she did.

Overall this was a captivating series, but the final landing was a little rough. I give it a B+ (it was on pace for a solid A throughout).

Last edited by personone; 03-08-2021 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Corrected: Monica "Rambeau" not Rambo

Old 03-08-2021, 05:05 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,275,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It was overall a fine series, one of the best comic-TV series I've seen. It built things up so well and the anticipation also built up the hype as to how this would end.
<snip>
Overall this was a captivating series, but the final landing was a little rough. I give it a B+ (it was on pace for a solid A throughout).
Nice write-up. Well said.

Quote:
Evan Peter's Quicksilver. He is such a good character and fan favorite. I'm confused as to what they were thinking with his character. It was the perfect way to develop some crossover with the Xmen. Not sure why they would throw that away for a cheap laugh.
As someone said in another forum, it was a dick move.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:39 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,666,701 times
Quote:

That said, I think the final episode was a little meh, mostly because of how unpredictable it was and how much buildup there was. It's always hard to close out something like this when the build-up is that high; although to Marvel's credit, I thought it would be impossible to live up to the hype in closing out Infinity War and End Game, and they executed those almost as good as can be expected, so they can do it.

But this one had some problems and felt a little rushed. My thoughts were:

I liked Agnes/Agatha a lot. She is definitely coming back. In the comics, she is Wanda's mentor and Wanda's last line about "[knowing where to find her if she needs her]" indicates that she'll be back, but I still feel like there could have been a better way to close out her story line. Rather than just the traditional battle.

I did like the Vision vs Vision battle and thought that fit well. I especially like the "intellectual fight" at the end. That was pretty cool.

I really loved when Wanda went full Scarlet Witch, with the awesome costume and all. The costume was amazing.

I felt that Monica Rambeau was way underdeveloped. They built her up to be a really important character, but in the grand scheme of things, she disappeared in critical parts of the show, so her overall role was a little diminished.

I also thought the kids were underdeveloped too. I'm not familiar with the comics and I know they are important to the Young Avengers, but I was confused with how they got their powers and especially how they fit into the grand scheme of things since they were just "part of the show." Although in the ending explanation when they are calling out for Wanda, I guess it's building up that there is a multi-verse, which is confusing because they were just created by Wanda. Anyway...they were underdeveloped.

I do agree that it was weird how Wanda was really a villain, but it was essentially ignored. The show was shot as if she was the hero. I guess it is more of a classic Anti-Hero role, but still, I agree she should have been put in place. I thought Monica Rambeau would have attempted that (although doesn't have the powers to hurt Wanda). As others have hinted, maybe Dr. Strange gets payback on her for what she did.

Good analysis for the show-problem is, a lot of people think this was supposed to be a stand alone series. That it was supposed to be wrapped up completely on the last episode.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:58 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,835,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Good analysis for the show-problem is, a lot of people think this was supposed to be a stand alone series. That it was supposed to be wrapped up completely on the last episode.
I agree. I think that this series had to play double duty of being a stand alone series, while also being a set up of the next phase of the franchise. I have a feeling that 5 or 10 years down the road, we will look back on this series and be amazed on how much it influenced.

It seems to me that the biggest criticism of this and future series is that you need to be well versed in the MCU and some of the comics to fully understand everything that goes on. Given how big the movies got, it is requirement that they can afford to make.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I'm a little nervous about Falcon and Winter Solider and Loki only because they are characters I already care about and now I have high expectations because Wandavision was much better than I expected. These shows can be equally as good or be a huge disappointment.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:27 PM

28,722 posts, read 18,944,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am afraid the writers / Marvel didn't see this. Morally Wanda must pay for what she has done. It is odd how many people had that reaction yet the writers didn't see it. Monica even says something like -- they will never know what you sacrificed. Huh?

She will never know how the townspeople suffered.

I believe they had the head of Sword there just shoot the kids because they realized at the last moment they had to make him a baddy. Until that point his actions were completely justified as a good guy.

Even though they tried to distract us with Agatha, Monica, Sword - it really was Wanda right from the start.
I agree, but Hayward knew the "kids" were just apparitions of Wanda's magic, and dangerous apparitions at that. That scene was stuck in the story just to make the audience hate Hayward.

But why? Yes, Hayward was the good guy. Lots of people were theorizing that he was some ultimate villain with a sinister ulterior motive, but it turned out he was just the tough-nosed head of SWORD determined to take down a demonstrated super villain. No ulterior motive, no evil supervillain background. Just the head of SWORD trying to do his job.

And what crime are they going to charge him with? Shooting at children who didn't exist?

What bugs me is that I don't think the writers understand that Wanda really is the bad guy, and that being emotionally hurt, no matter how severely, does not absolve her guilt.

We've had other shows in which the protagonist was the bad guy, such as Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. But in those shows, the writers always let us know that the protagonist knew--and the writers knew--that the protagonist was the bad guy.

It's not apparent the writers of Wandavision were clear on that, and Wanda herself certainly isn't clear. She still thinks she was the one who suffered.

Heck, Wanda didn't even fix up the town for them. She could have at least given them a good night's sleep and a new movie theater.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:14 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,666,701 times
Looks like Wandavision won 4 MTV awards last night!

Best fight scene
Best villain - Kathryn Hahn
best series
Best performance in a show - Elizabeth Olsen

They gotta do a second season!

Old 05-17-2021, 08:32 PM

28,722 posts, read 18,944,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Looks like Wandavision won 4 MTV awards last night!

Best fight scene
Best villain - Kathryn Hahn
best series
Best performance in a show - Elizabeth Olsen

They gotta do a second season!
I hope by "best fight scene" they meant the Vision a Vision fight scene. The fight scene between Wanda and Agatha was typical CGI bleh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV