Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,574,558 times

Advertisements

Where does this show rank as far as creativity? This show is throwing change-ups, curves, and sliders at the viewers. That all leads to more anticipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 09:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,942,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Where does this show rank as far as creativity? This show is throwing change-ups, curves, and sliders at the viewers. That all leads to more anticipation.
I personally think it is at the top for superhero/comic shows for sure. It is the most creative “show” in the MCU. The Netflix “quasi MCU” was unique in that it was dark and R-rated. I guess same with Free-Forms’ Cloak and Dagger which is I guess technically MCU.

The only other Marvel show (X-men universe) that was as creative, but in a trippy sort of way, was Legion. The first season was literally trippy, and they slowly peel the layers away each episode and you start to understand what the heck is going on. I have to say, it was pretty creative in a strange sort of way.

But WandaVision is easy to follow, and is unpredictable and unique. So overall, I’d say it’s the most unique Marvel and overall comic/superhero show.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 AM

22,981 posts, read 28,436,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Where does this show rank as far as creativity?
I think you're asking the wrong question. Something can be "creative" and "wildly original" and still be "horrible crap." Conversely, something can be entirely derivative and still be fantastic.

The right question: Where does this show rank as far as quality?

The answer: It's one of the best things the MCU has done.

In fact, I'm starting to feel kinda sorry for FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER. I can already hear the complaints, "It's okay, I guess. But it's no WANDAVISION...."

Old 02-24-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question. Something can be "creative" and "wildly original" and still be "horrible crap." Conversely, something can be entirely derivative and still be fantastic.

In fact, I'm starting to feel kinda sorry for FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER. I can already hear the complaints, "It's okay, I guess. But it's no WANDAVISION...."
Yeah, WandaVision has definitely set the bar and it will be hard for the other shows. The characters, Vision and Wanda, are also more mysterious/creative so they already have an advantage to start out with when it comes to creativity.

Although, I'm continually impressed with the MCU, so I'm not ready to discount Falcon and Winter Soldier yet. But it looks like more of your run of the mill action show. Again, Falcon and Winter Soldier aren't really "creative" characters like Vision and Wanda/Scarlet Witch, so they are already at a disadvantage from that standpoint.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:12 AM

7,267 posts, read 4,602,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
But WandaVision is easy to follow, and is unpredictable and unique. So overall, I’d say it’s the most unique Marvel and overall comic/superhero show.
I find all the TV shows based on Marvel characters (except this show) to suck.

Often you can see that the creators don't have a handle on what made the character beloved in the first place or the tv show is about something no one cares about (such as agents of shield).

Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I find all the TV shows based on Marvel characters (except this show) to suck.

Often you can see that the creators don't have a handle on what made the character beloved in the first place or the tv show is about something no one cares about (such as agents of shield).
Right, but this is the first real MCU (Marvel Studios) show.

The previous "Marvel" shows were not really officially part of the MCU. The Netflix shows, Cloak and Dagger (which was on Free Form), The Gifted (Fox), Inhumans (ABC), Legion (FX), are not really part of the MCU.

The only other shows I can think of, which I think technically were part of the true MCU, were Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. I actually got into SHIELD, but it was way too long and there were some not so good seasons. Was never interested enough to watch Agent Carter. Although I don't really consider these shows to be part of the real MCU either because the connections were so loose.

I agree with you that this is the first TV show based on Marvel characters that I really like and I think stands out from the rest. Kevin Feige and the whole MCU production crew are involved, and you can tell because the production is almost movie-like, so hopefully this turns over a new leaf.

I have to admit that I did like some of the Netflix Marvel shows. Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones season 1, Luke Case season 2, and parts of Punisher were really good. They were R-rated shows, and I can see how they are not for everyone. They were definitely lower quality, but there was something about the grittiness that I enjoyed.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:57 AM

22,981 posts, read 28,436,532 times
Quote:
The only other shows I can think of, which I think technically were part of the true MCU, were Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. I actually got into SHIELD, but it was way too long and there were some not so good seasons. Was never interested enough to watch Agent Carter. Although I don't really consider these shows to be part of the real MCU either because the connections were so loose.

I have to admit that I did like some of the Netflix Marvel shows. Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones season 1, Luke Case season 2, and parts of Punisher were really good. They were R-rated shows, and I can see how they are not for everyone. They were definitely lower quality, but there was something about the grittiness that I enjoyed.
All of those shows were part of the MCU, but they were what I call "coat tail" shows. They tried (largely unsuccessfully) to ride on the coat tails of what the movies were doing. It was pretty obvious the movies were doing their own thing, and those involved making the shows on ABC and Netflix could do their own thing and occasionally make a mention of something that tied them into the MCU movies. But there was no attempt to bring it all together into one cohesive universe with an over-arching story.

That obviously changed with Disney+. For the first time, Marvel is directly invovled with the production of the TV shows, and they are obviously sparing no expense. WANDAVISION has proved that an audience is perfectly fine with sitting down to watch what amounts to a four-and-a-half hour movie broken into weekly installments.

I hope this is the new norm, to be honest. Marvel's best properties --- Spider-Man and the X-Men --- have way too many characters and way too much depth to do them justice in 2 hour movies. They really ought to be TV series.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:10 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,234,410 times
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. As someone who has no knowledge of the characters or backstory, but is watching and enjoying WandaVision, I think it's fun, creative and very entertaining.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:28 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,835,948 times
Quote:

I think I feel the opposite I think that if they can do such a good job with characters that I think most would agree weren't fan favorites, they are going to do an amazing job with ones that are.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:35 PM

2,184 posts, read 1,835,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I agree. As someone who has no knowledge of the characters or backstory, but is watching and enjoying WandaVision, I think it's fun, creative and very entertaining.
Out of curiosity are you planning on going back to learn more of their back story or planning to continue after this series is over and follow them on to their new adventures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV