Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 10:42 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,221,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I barely watch anything new these days so I surprised myself by watching this out of pure boredom and was hooked and intrigued from episode 1. I didn't know what the hell this show was about or any of the characters in it. I just thought 'Wow, so they're going back to the 1950s? Interesting." and thought it was going to be retro throwback. I liked the corny jokes and family friendliness. But damn, it's completely different! I found myself yelling at my screen "wtf" multiple times. I am hooked! Especially now that it's all unraveling for Wanda.
Me either. I don't know the background or the characters (and likely won't be watching the movies to find out), but I'm watching it with my kid, and I still enjoy it. It's creative and different and easy to watch. I ask my daughter questions periodically, and she answers them simply and without going into too much detail. "Wanda has superpowers and when she gets mad at people, she can hurt them", "Her husband died in a previous movie and she's traumatized".

That's enough for me to know for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 12:45 PM

12,436 posts, read 8,231,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Me either. I don't know the background or the characters (and likely won't be watching the movies to find out), but I'm watching it with my kid, and I still enjoy it. It's creative and different and easy to watch. I ask my daughter questions periodically, and she answers them simply and without going into too much detail. "Wanda has superpowers and when she gets mad at people, she can hurt them", "Her husband died in a previous movie and she's traumatized".

That's enough for me to know for the time being.
The big question that the rest of the MCU fans have is will there be something from these miniseries that a first time MCU movie goer will have to ask his daughter about for that movie to work. Or will it be like the early seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

Old 02-08-2021, 07:10 PM

1,803 posts, read 943,947 times
Default Very interesting movie.... insightful dialog though acting not so much. But aspects like WandaVision influence?

OK.... I am naive on the series. I've seen the trailer, some other YouTube shorts on happenings on the series and ending predictions and how characters from Marvel mix in it and of all things .... a satan infusion and even character of a which in other shows....
But seeing this 1962 B-like film though withe some insightful dialog and in color yet.... on YouTube that seems rare and posted not in a low quality.... it still has a look and of course a 50s early 60s vibe it is from .... yet set in a future after a nuclear war where 90% perish and survivals somehow create a world where humanoids are created to do task for us. Yet not created with the human emotions etc till they can create one of their own with it ... the humanoids.

Someone posted it was the favorite movie of Andy Worhol....

Still the look of the humanoids before perfected to be like a human and of course how they were programmed to be human partners/companions of sorts.... I can't but help seeing aspects taken from it perhaps for this WandaVision concept + a lot of other added things..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVgl...YEhobPhurrVvqH

By the 35 minute mark you get somewhat the look of the main female character of WandaVision and dress. Of course it does not want the surroundings of the future to look like the late 50s early 60s home.....

Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 AM

12,436 posts, read 8,231,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Let's not forget Wanda was a terrorist who was intent on destroying the Avengers and getting revenge on Tony Stark especially. She only stopped when she realized all the innocent people who would be hurt and killed as a result. But she is not above extreme anger, and she is every bit capable of not seeing beyond her own pain. She has lost everyone she ever loved, her childhood was robbed from her and marred by violence, and her pain was used to exploit and radicalize her at a young age. She's absolutely capable of this. The problem is, after this, I don't know how anyone can ever trust her again - first her terrorist past, now this. How can she be Avenger again?

I thought I'd be disappointed if it was really just Wanda doing all this, but I'm not. I think because I wrongly thought her powers worked by creating illusions in people's heads, not actually changing reality. So I thought this was all just in her head. But now that I see she's actually created an alternate world in this little bubble and the people in it are real people, etc, it has greater implications.
I will take the terrorist and turn the siblings into agents of Sokovia who like many in the MCU were unknowing dupes of Hydra. So they served with honor, going to Captain America Civil War perhaps with more official sanction than the extra governmental Avengers and then they flipped when the truth of Ultron was reveled to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I found the first two episodes confusing and I know the backstory.

Check out you tube -- they have tons of great explanation videos.
Among the theory videos is the claim that besides the run length being made to imitate old sitcoms Disney ordered them to stretch out to provide more weeks of content to discourage folks from dropping their subscriptions between the end of WandaVision and the premiere of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. In effect what I think happened to the back end of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 6 where the probably story they were going for which was shown mainly in season 7 needed padding to meet the episode count. The Netflix MCU series all had some padding also to get to their 10 episode season.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
this also was recommended to us at the superbowl party to we watched it after that tales from the loop show on monday. seriously, wtf. i thought i was getting some kind of superhero show with some action and instead i got this incredibly slow and boring show in black and white that was nothing like i expected (in a completely bad way). who in the world would bother watching episode 2 after seeing episode 1?

needless to say that any future recommendations from the person at the super bowl watch party will be ignored.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:10 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,953,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this also was recommended to us at the superbowl party to we watched it after that tales from the loop show on monday. seriously, wtf. i thought i was getting some kind of superhero show with some action and instead i got this incredibly slow and boring show in black and white that was nothing like i expected (in a completely bad way). who in the world would bother watching episode 2 after seeing episode 1?
People who understand the show was never going to remain that way, and enjoy the building of suspense and mystery, and a unique storytelling method? Not everyone needs instant gratification and everything spelled out for them in the first episode.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:25 AM

7,259 posts, read 7,125,418 times
Quote:
People who understand the show was never going to remain that way, and enjoy the building of suspense and mystery, and a unique storytelling method? Not everyone needs instant gratification and everything spelled out for them in the first episode.
I think this ^^ is why I dropped cable TV and don't miss it. Most network TV is cookie cutter boring for this reason.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:37 AM

22,958 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I think this ^^ is why I dropped cable TV and don't miss it. Most network TV is cookie cutter boring for this reason.
TV is changing. For the better!

It used to be that every show on TV told an entirely new story each week. Beginning, Middle, and End. Characters rarely underwent significant changes. Every episode hit the "reset" button at the end.

That's no longer the case. The best TV shows now tell an ongoing story. You sometimes have to make it through several episodes before you start to catch on. I love it. But it isn't for everyone.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,517,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
TV is changing. For the better!

It used to be that every show on TV told an entirely new story each week. Beginning, Middle, and End. Characters rarely underwent significant changes. Every episode hit the "reset" button at the end.

That's no longer the case. The best TV shows now tell an ongoing story. You sometimes have to make it through several episodes before you start to catch on. I love it. But it isn't for everyone.
Yeah it's like one long movie, that's why i prefer binging shows.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
Quote:
Shows are supposed to be entertaining. If they want to start slow then they should do it in a manner that is entertaining. This was tedious and not the least bit clever.

It's always interesting when people seem to think a simple show catering to the least common denominator is somehow complex. It's seems they don't realize that they are exactly who the show is catering to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV