Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 09:01 AM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That was so funny! I do remember when "most" of the US called it "smoked salmon." Bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon doesn't roll off the tongue like lox. To be more authentic, the phrase could have been warm toasted bagels with lox and a schmear, but even Pat and Vanna probably wouldn't know what that meant.
Lox isn't smoked. It's brined/cured but not smoked. Smoked salmon is cured and then smoked. It's often used interchangeably, and I always thought it was the same thing, too, but it isn't. A Jewish friend schooled me on that a few years ago.

LMAO, true about the schmear!

Old 03-04-2023, 09:09 AM

11,661 posts, read 12,757,221 times
I do know how lox is made. My cousins owned an appetizing store and they used to cure their own lox. However, I do recall that when people said that they had never heard of the term lox before, my mother would describe it as smoked salmon to give them a frame of reference. The key word was "salmon" to indicate it was a fish, unlike whitefish which is self-described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 09:22 AM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I do know how lox is made. My cousins owned an appetizing store and they used to cure their own lox. However, I do recall that when people said that they had never heard of the term lox before, my mother would describe it as smoked salmon to give them a frame of reference. The key word was "salmon" to indicate it was a fish, unlike whitefish which is self-described.
Ah, OK. Yum, whitefish salad...

(I am not Jewish, but living in NJ and working in the city all my life of course we all eat that food.)

Old 03-04-2023, 10:26 AM

3,501 posts, read 2,838,648 times
Some years ago, a woman attempted to solve a puzzle by saying “I Have the Wine by Johnny Cash”. Many years ago, a man said “Pennsylvania Witch” instead of “Pennsylvania Dutch”.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:53 AM

2,884 posts, read 1,827,012 times
Off topic ? Unless you're a certain nationality ?, certain foods you may not be aware, know what they are or known by another name. When living in Chicago, divinity fudge was called sea foam I later learned.

Lox ? When demonstrated on the Olympic Peninsula, WA, years ago, was surprised it wasn't flocked by customers. The demonstrator told me they though it was Raw, had worms in it !

Now that I've ruined your appetite, Wheel of Fortune, host Chuck Woolery,
Susan Stafford? were they the first team ?

Old 03-04-2023, 02:48 PM

12 posts, read 7,817 times
I think the fact that you can guess along with the contestants has a lot to do with it. Same with Jeopardy. Makes you feel like you're part of the game show even if you're sitting on the couch. That's my guess anyway.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:39 PM

44,677 posts, read 61,781,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdyl View Post
I think the fact that you can guess along with the contestants has a lot to do with it. Same with Jeopardy. Makes you feel like you're part of the game show even if you're sitting on the couch. That's my guess anyway.
Exactly. And that's another reason why retro tv games shows are so popular today.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:55 PM

19,744 posts, read 10,180,303 times
Pat Sajak says the upcoming season will be his last.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:45 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,092,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Pat Sajak says the upcoming season will be his last.
Makes sense ....he's not getting any younger....turning 77 this year....
I wonder if Vanna will stick around....her net worth is a bit higher than Sajak at $85 million.
Not too bad....gets a $10 million salary for turning letters

Old 06-13-2023, 05:26 AM

4,744 posts, read 4,450,173 times
I've often wondered what the appeal of the show is. I mean, it's ok, but not for the length of its run at least in my eyes. Obviously, the rest of the world does not agree with me.
I guess it's just such a basic, easy to follow game......and there was always the excitement of what would Vanna wear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV