Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:56 AM

866 posts, read 798,689 times

Advertisements

We felt like the OP at first......there are a lot of hidden gems but it takes some effort to dig them up. Our current obsession is The 100, which was on TV but we don’t remember ever seeing it broadcast.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,942,917 times
I've found that you have to kind of dig around to find good series on Netflix. Searching (at least on the app) can be a little tricky and some of the really good series don't always jump out at you. I've found enough series since the pandemic started to keep me entertained and to keep me from dropping my subscription. I've found that their "searches" don't always generate good suggestions, but whenever I finish a series, I'm usually able to find my next series for the month by digging around a little.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:39 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,454,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Mark, thanks for the lead in Samurai Gourmet. Just my type of show! Like Ignatz, I was also going to recommend Midnight Diner. And do you have Amazon Prime? They have a similar show, Sunshine Sento Sake, where a burnt out salesman discovers a new sento place to take a hot tub and then goes out to eat.

Also, Netflix has a similar show I will try...Kantaro, the Sweet Tooth Sakaryman.
Thanks for the Kantaro mention. We will be trying that for sure! Love Midnight Diner and Samurai Gourmet and we were so happy when the older Midnight Diner episodes got released. Still making our way through those. One of the things we enjoy about MD is that you never know what kind of episode you're going to get. It can be sweet and leave you with an awwwww feeling at the end, or it can be sad, or it can leave you going wtf did I just watch???

Another Netflix show about food is Somebody Feed Phil where Phil Rosenthal travels to various countries. He's a bit of an oddball but the show makes us feel good. We are now watching the older version of this, I'll Have What Phil's Having on PBS.

We also enjoy the Korean dramas on Netflix but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited by Gorges; 02-11-2021 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 01:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,670,411 times
Not sure how many know this, but Netflix has codes that you can add to their URL to get more detailed genre listings.
It is faster than just scrolling through all the titles.

This article explains how you do it.

https://www.radiotimes.com/technolog...-secret-codes/

Old 02-12-2021, 09:17 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,288,790 times
I was most interested in documentaries. I didn't see much I was interested in. I tried to watch The Universe, which is about astronomy and physics, and found the material interesting but the presentation and production value were not good. That turned me off.

I'm not much of a fan of scripted shows like dramas and sitcoms. I like documentaries and movies. Maybe I'll try The Queen's Gambit before I pull the plug.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:45 AM

29,791 posts, read 34,596,352 times
Here's a list from Esquire of the "best" documentaries on Netflix: https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...es-on-netflix/

There's a lot of true crime, but there are quite a few on nature, sports, art, etc.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,042,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I was most interested in documentaries. I didn't see much I was interested in. I tried to watch The Universe, which is about astronomy and physics, and found the material interesting but the presentation and production value were not good. That turned me off.

I'm not much of a fan of scripted shows like dramas and sitcoms. I like documentaries and movies. Maybe I'll try The Queen's Gambit before I pull the plug.
What KIND (genre) of documentaries and movies?

Netflix's movie library isn't huge in some areas, it's not like the old Blockbuster days with acres of options.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:20 AM

51,227 posts, read 24,691,490 times
I go back and forth between Netflix and Amazon Prime to find things I enjoy. And when anyone starts complaining about the cost. I just think back to going to ONE movie at a theatre, paying $10 to get in, and another $10 for a small popcorn and a bottle of water, and I just sit back and enjoy Netflix and Prime. Half the joy is discovering some gem that I wouldn't have paid to go to a theater to see.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,575,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I don't get it. Netflix is known mainly for scripted content. Sure, they have documentaries but that's not their bread and butter. You could get PBS or Curiosity Stream.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:20 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,042,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't get it. Netflix is known mainly for scripted content. Sure, they have documentaries but that's not their bread and butter. You could get PBS or Curiosity Stream.
Respectfully disagree. Netflix is a documentary powerhouse.

What Netflix is 'weak' in is a mainstream movie library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV