Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 01:20 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,262,984 times

Advertisements

We like Netflix and Prime. Network TV offers very little these days and the decent shows are being rationed like food on a life raft. So yes we are keeping them.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:45 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,308,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Netflix does have a tendency to cancel shows after only a season or two. It’s a real shame as some of them had a ton of potential. It’s part of the reason why I hesitate to start a new one, unless it’s billed as a limited series.
That's something I don't like about Netflix. I enjoy watching Korean shows that are sponsored by Netflix, but it seems that they don't produce additional seasons. For example these two outstanding shows:

a. Memories Of The Alhambra. Only one season with a finale that left the door open for a second season to complete. A perfect show for gamers, where reality blends with virtual reality. Superb acting and cinematography.

b. Vagabond. Another outstanding show that ended the same way as above. Lots of action, martial arts, spying, intrigue.

I keep Netflix, but I also watch Asian shows at "viki.com" ice it is cheaper than Netflix.
https://www.viki.com/explore?country=korea

Now, I don't use my credit card to pay Netflix or "wiki." What I do is to buy a $25.00 Visa card to pay the "wiki" monthly fees ($5.00 a month), and Netflix gift cards to pay for this one.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM

29,780 posts, read 34,535,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's something I don't like about Netflix. I enjoy watching Korean shows that are sponsored by Netflix, but it seems that they don't produce additional seasons. For example these two outstanding shows:

a. Memories Of The Alhambra. Only one season with a finale that left the door open for a second season to complete. A perfect show for gamers, where reality blends with virtual reality. Superb acting and cinematography.

b. Vagabond. Another outstanding show that ended the same way as above. Lots of action, martial arts, spying, intrigue.

I keep Netflix, but I also watch Asian shows at "viki.com" ice it is cheaper than Netflix.
From what I understand, this doesn't have anything to do with Netflix. Korean series are often limited series, with no intention to ever make more than one season.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:11 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,299,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From what I understand, this doesn't have anything to do with Netflix. Korean series are often limited series, with no intention to ever make more than one season.

I actually like mini-series. Sorta like an extended movie. Tell a good story and then close the book. It has a beginning and an end.

Too many series start out good for the first few seasons then deteriorate in quality and sometimes get downright silly as the writers run out of ideas but are pushed to go on and on and on. And when it does end it is often apparent that it was abrupt and unplanned.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:36 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,308,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I actually like mini-series. Sorta like an extended movie. Tell a good story and then close the book. It has a beginning and an end.

Too many series start out good for the first few seasons then deteriorate in quality and sometimes get downright silly as the writers run out of ideas but are pushed to go on and on and on. And when it does end it is often apparent that it was abrupt and unplanned.
That's what I like, too.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:17 AM

51,091 posts, read 24,586,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
We like Netflix and Prime. Network TV offers very little these days and the decent shows are being rationed like food on a life raft. So yes we are keeping them.
And I would add that a BIG reason for me focusing so much more on Netflix, Prime, and other cable networks is I am fed up with one-third of network programming time being taken up with commercials. It has gotten to the point where some program segments are shorter than advertising breaks.

Right now I'm watching the series "Private Practice" on Netflix (it was on ABC a few years ago). It is so enjoyable not having the commercials.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I would add that a BIG reason for me focusing so much more on Netflix, Prime, and other cable networks is I am fed up with one-third of network programming time being taken up with commercials. It has gotten to the point where some program segments are shorter than advertising breaks.

Right now I'm watching the series "Private Practice" on Netflix (it was on ABC a few years ago). It is so enjoyable not having the commercials.

I've gotten to where I can't even tolerate the recap, intro, and credits timewasters when streaming. I try to skip past these and some make it easier than others. Netflix and Prime will show a button to skip recap and intro but I have to fast forward with Hulu and be careful not to go too far. Some will show "next episode in xx seconds" when credits roll and you can press enter to immediately start it. I haven't found a way to get around all of their splash banners and sounds though. I just wish the streaming services would give me user preference options to automatically skip recaps and intros.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I've gotten to where I can't even tolerate the recap, intro, and credits timewasters when streaming. I try to skip past these and some make it easier than others. Netflix and Prime will show a button to skip recap and intro but I have to fast forward with Hulu and be careful not to go too far. Some will show "next episode in xx seconds" when credits roll and you can press enter to immediately start it. I haven't found a way to get around all of their splash banners and sounds though. I just wish the streaming services would give me user preference options to automatically skip recaps and intros.
I am most likely to watch a network show after dinner. But not for the normal reasons. Turn on "Mixedish", for example, and clean up the kitchen during commercial breaks. Clean the bathroom during commercial breaks. Take out the trash during commercial breaks. Make them a bathroom break.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am most likely to watch a network show after dinner. But not for the normal reasons. Turn on "Mixedish", for example, and clean up the kitchen during commercial breaks. Clean the bathroom during commercial breaks. Take out the trash during commercial breaks. Make them a bathroom break.

At least with network TV the commercial breaks are somewhat formulaic and predictable. You can count on one a few minutes after the opening scene and one near the end just before a pointless closing scene and credits. They usually don't break after the credits because they want to roll right into the next show and hopefully suck you in to it.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
At least with network TV the commercial breaks are somewhat formulaic and predictable. You can count on one a few minutes after the opening scene and one near the end just before a pointless closing scene and credits. They usually don't break after the credits because they want to roll right into the next show and hopefully suck you in to it.
That may be their hope, but it sure doesn't work with me and never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV