Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:43 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,262,482 times

Advertisements

We were holdouts and only recently got Netflix. Very disappointed with the content and found the original programming to be of low quality.

Is it normally this bad or does the quality come in waves?

Old 02-11-2021, 06:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,243,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
We were holdouts and only recently got Netflix. Very disappointed with the content and found the original programming to be of low quality.

Quality doesn't usually come in "waves", because Netflix rarely removes a show once it has premiered. So while they may not have a hot hit scheduled to drop on any specific Friday, they still have all their previous ones available to you.

A suggestion if I may: Try The Queen's Gambit. This is a very popular mini-series (only 7 episodes), high quality, superb acting, great story. One of Netflix's most viewed shows in their history. If you like it, then maybe you can find some more. If you don't like it, then maybe Netflix isn't for you.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:08 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,444,246 times
What do you consider "quality"?

With Netflix, if you're looking for a specific movie or show and it's not there, then you might be disappointed. I liken it to a used bookstore--browse around and you might find something interesting that you never expected.

Some of my recent favorites have been Borgen, Babylon Berlin, Derry Girls, John Mulaney's standup specials, Mindhunter, Lupin, etc. If you rate titles that you do like, the algorithm recommends other things you may like as well.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-11-2021 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 07:12 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,314,157 times
Quote:

Depends on what you enjoy. There are some GREAT shows on Netflixt. There just aren't a lot of great shows on Netflix. So we tend to binge-watch a show we love, then not have much at all to watch for a few months.

Favorites I'd recommend:

KIM'S CONVENIENCE. I generally loathe sitcoms, but this import from Canada breaks the mold. It so good. Both hilarious and heart-warming.

REPUBLIC OF DOYLE. Another Canadian import. Great comfort TV. If you like shows like THE ROCKFORD FILES or MONK, you'll love the Doyles. (Note: You can also watch this show on Amazon Prime, but Amazon for some inexplicable reason is missing some episodes. Netflix has them all.)

STRANGER THINGS. Yeah Season 3 wasn't great. The rest was, and Season 3 wasn't exactly horrible. Just okay.

BREAKING BAD. Do I really need to explain?

BORDERTOWN. A fantastic Finnish import. Great, great crime drama.

COLONY. A fun show that never got the love it deserved.

BORGEN. Fantastic political drama from Denmark.

SAMURAI GOURMET. This was the weirdest, most charming show. I fell in love with it. From Japan. A recent retiree and his imaginary (or is he?) samurai friend wander the city, enjoying good food and finding good company.

MINDHUNTER. I loved the first season. Season 2 was okay. Doubtful there will be a season 3.

BATES MOTEL. Surprisingly fun re-imagining of PSYCHO.

DOLLY PARTON: HERE I AM. If you don't love Dolly Parton, why do you hate America?

COBRA KAI. Not a classic, but fun. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this show.

THE GOOD PLACE. One of the smartest and funniest shows NBC has ever done.

AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER. If you don't love this show, you shouldn't be allowed to watch television. The first time an animated TV show made me cry!

LONGMIRE. It took me a while to get into this show, but once I did, I was hooked. It's now a favorite.

I have friends who loved OZARK. I didn't. No one to sympathize with. I wanted them all to die. The characters on the show. Not my friends.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:29 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,027,807 times
I suspect this opinion has less to do with actual quality and variety of programming available on Netflix and more to do with cultural/personal leanings.

Maybe an OTA antenna and the channels you can pull in would be best. MeTV, Antenna TV, Cozi, etc.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:55 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,693,031 times
Quote:

The original content varies. They have some with high-quality acting like Queen’s Gambit and The Crown, and others (like most of the holiday movies) that make Hallmark and Lifetime look Emmy worthy.

That said, a lot of the good original stuff is foreign, so if you don’t like reading subtitles, you might end up disappointed.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz713 View Post
I LOVED Samurai Gourmet. Did you see Midnight Diner, original and Tokyo? I considered them great.
I haven't, but I'll look for it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz713 View Post
I liked Ozark. They were indeed all evil but at least not stupid, like the evil people in Your Honor. There was also no abysmally bad actor, like the stupid son.

I want the judge and his son to die and the gangsters to live on.
That was kind of my reaction to JUSTIFIED for a while. I found myself liking the bad guys more than the good guys.

Last edited by Mark S.; 02-11-2021 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 08:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,729,620 times
Quote:

How can anyone answer this without knowing your preferences?

What were you looking for that you couldn’t find on Netflix?

Old 02-11-2021, 08:14 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,147,471 times
Mark, thanks for the lead in Samurai Gourmet. Just my type of show! Like Ignatz, I was also going to recommend Midnight Diner. And do you have Amazon Prime? They have a similar show, Sunshine Sento Sake, where a burnt out salesman discovers a new sento place to take a hot tub and then goes out to eat.

Also, Netflix has a similar show I will try...Kantaro, the Sweet Tooth Sakaryman.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Mark, thanks for the lead in Samurai Gourmet. Just my type of show! Like Ignatz, I was also going to recommend Midnight Diner. And do you have Amazon Prime? They have a similar show, Sunshine Sento Sake, where a burnt out salesman discovers a new sento place to take a hot tub and then goes out to eat.

Also, Netflix has a similar show I will try...Kantaro, the Sweet Tooth Sakaryman.
I do have prime and haven't seen either of those shows. Thanks for the recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.