Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 04:06 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,273,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
There is one show I think of every once in a while (unless it was an episode only). It was probably mid late 1970 and was about a woman who can read (i.e. hear) others thoughts. Does this ring anyone else's memory? Or was it perhaps just an episode of another show? Or a very short lived half season of a failed show.

I have a vague memory of the woman looking somewhat like Pam Dawber / Suzanne Pleshette.
The Girl with Something Extra?

Sally Fields and John Davidson. 1973
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 06:32 AM

16,439 posts, read 12,597,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
No. But I remember an episode or two from "Beverly Hills, 90210" set on a cruise ship, where the kids sailed as part of their school's study program. What can I say: rich high school kids literally go places. (Or maybe it was "Sweet Valley High", one of its more serious episodes?) There was a guy offering a girl vodka from a flask he carried. He probably smuggled it onboard similar to how real-life cruise passengers do it.
Must have been SVH. There was only one episode of BH90210 on a cruise ... Steve's 21st birthday.

(And no, I feel no shame for knowing that. LOL)

Old 04-21-2021, 06:53 AM

19,775 posts, read 20,364,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Thanks for the posting the link!

I sometimes do, too. I was a teenaged girl during the period when those shows were originally on the air (and watched a lot of the 'seventies shows in syndication from late childhood on), so there's a huge nostalgia factor at play there as well as some of those shows like "Life Goes On" were just darn good.

My partner mildly makes fun of me for "comfort watching" certain shows like "Highway to Heaven" when he sees them on my Netflix queue, but I find watching shows like that to be oddly soothing.
I'm the same way!

This world is just too cold for me, I need my heart warmed on a regular basis

Old 04-21-2021, 06:57 AM

3,768 posts, read 2,598,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
What ever happened to "family shows" like these?
I noticed a trajectory of family sitcoms. They almost completely dominated early TV, because American families were strong & preeminent. Then as TV moved in to the 80s & 90s.. TV started reflecting the Baby Boomers' cynicism about marriage/family (Married with Children & Roseanne, etc). A lot people/media critics were praising the realistic depiction of family.. and the depictions became more cynical and dysfunctional until we've arrived at families like Shameless & Modern Family. Optimistic depictions of traditional families have almost completely vanished from TV.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:59 AM

7,087 posts, read 2,770,766 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPh5PTUoftc

Old 04-21-2021, 09:26 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,582,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I noticed a trajectory of family sitcoms. They almost completely dominated early TV, because American families were strong & preeminent. Then as TV moved in to the 80s & 90s.. TV started reflecting the Baby Boomers' cynicism about marriage/family (Married with Children & Roseanne, etc). A lot people/media critics were praising the realistic depiction of family.. and the depictions became more cynical and dysfunctional until we've arrived at families like Shameless & Modern Family. Optimistic depictions of traditional families have almost completely vanished from TV.
To be fair, I really liked Modern Family, The Middle, and by extension, Schitt's Creek. I wasn't a fan of Rosanne, but I do remember there being a close bond between the titular character and her husband (I also love John Goodman as an actor). There's *is* a functionality to all of the families in those shows and a fair amount of love and affection shown even if it's not in the vein of Father Knows Best, etc.

I think what I was referring to were family dramas that were of the type that the whole family would watch. More than anything else, I have a feeling that the proliferation of multiple screens in the average household (beginning with T.V.s in rooms other than the single one that once dominated the living rooms and dens of American households) kind of led the way to family shows no longer quite the thing that they once were.

Cynicism aside, what I have noticed is that while the big three networks have seemingly abandoned the notion of a family show, there are still a few new ones being aired on other networks. There's a Canadian show called Heartland that my partner's daughter loves and likes to watch with her mom. She's gotten me into it, too.

Back on topic... one of the shows that I miss and have never seen in syndication is Just the Ten of Us. It was only on for a couple of seasons. I remember it as being part of the old TGIF lineup.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:57 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,699,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Puff And Stuff
Captain Kangaroo
The Flying Nun
Eddie's Father
My Three Sons
Perry Mason.
I could go on and on. People forgot about these shows.
You're presumably thinking of H.R. Pufnstuf, which was subsequently plagiarized by McDonald's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_%2...onald%27s_Corp.

The rest of the shows you list, even The Courtship of Eddie's Father, are far from obscure.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:02 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,699,322 times
I'm not exactly sure what your criteria for obscurity are, but there have been many television series that were on a long time ago and lasted for a short time that might meet your definition of obscurity. A few that always arise in my mind are Hank, which was about a guy who supported himself and his sister by operating a lunch truck on a college campus while using various disguises to sit in on classes to get the college education he wants; Oh Those Bells; and Room for One More. Even if you're as old as I am it's pretty unlikely you'll remember these series, or any number of others, that might have aired for a couple of months about sixty years ago.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,391,511 times
Here're some obscure cartoon shows:

The Dukes of Hazzard
New Kids on the Block
MC Hammer
Kid n' Play

Old 04-21-2021, 01:22 PM

19,775 posts, read 20,364,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Here're some obscure cartoon shows:

The Dukes of Hazzard
New Kids on the Block
MC Hammer
Kid n' Play
OMG

I forgot all about this!( I remember the others on your list though! Great post! )

Hammerman - 1991 Intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZZG80TmME

This was completely wiped from my brain until this very moment, lol Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV