Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2022, 07:32 PM

45,494 posts, read 60,718,893 times

Advertisements

New theme and intro graphics tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 08:31 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,245,048 times
The plot thickens...

Old 08-29-2022, 05:32 AM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Another great episode. Here's to hoping that this series remains strong and that they don't destroy things like they did toward the end of GoT. From what I gather, George R.R. Martin wanted to do this series first, but HBO had other plans.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
From what I gather, George R.R. Martin wanted to do this series first, but HBO had other plans.
That would be surprising, since the GoT books have been around twenty years, and the book this is based on is 2-3 years old. I hadn't heard anything about this.

But GRRM has been known to retcon lots of events. He originally said the ending of GoT was exactly as he saw it. Then later said he has his own ending in mind. So it wouldn't surprise me that he now says this story was first.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That would be surprising, since the GoT books have been around twenty years, and the book this is based on is 2-3 years old. I hadn't heard anything about this.

But GRRM has been known to retcon lots of events. He originally said the ending of GoT was exactly as he saw it. Then later said he has his own ending in mind. So it wouldn't surprise me that he now says this story was first.
You're correct! I misread an earlier article about George R.R. Martin "finally" getting what he wanted with this show and misunderstood the context. He finally got what he wanted in terms of a project post-GoT. There was apparently some back and forth between Martin and HBO on what would come next. Martin apparently pushed for this story, but wasn't initially successful. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/a...he-dragon.html

Old 08-29-2022, 08:58 AM

45,494 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:

And, from what I've read elsewhere, it really didn't come together as a "book" initially but was Martin and some of his assistants knocking together and fleshing out notes and rough drafts he used to build the Game of Thrones novels.

Someone mentioned that it reads like a history book and not a novel and that is an accurate assessment.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:06 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Does the world really need more Westeros?

I'd much rather Martin push HBO to adapt FEVRE DREAM. It's brilliant. The best one sentence description I can come up: What if Mark Twain had written DRACULA?

Old 08-29-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Someone mentioned that it reads like a history book and not a novel and that is an accurate assessment.
That's because it *is* a history book. It is written that way. There is no novelization at all, just history. Sometimes from more than one POV, but still dry history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think the answer, based on ratings, is an unqualified YES.

Not only are eyeballs tuning in, the story is really starting to come together as the plot thickens. I know the wigs are crappy and the castles are made of foam, but I don't really care. It's a great story, and lest we forget... there be dragons!

Old 08-29-2022, 11:24 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
I think the answer, based on ratings, is an unqualified YES.

Not only are eyeballs tuning in, the story is really starting to come together as the plot thickens. I know the wigs are crappy and the castles are made of foam, but I don't really care. It's a great story, and lest we forget... there be dragons!
So far. But there is a Jon Snow sequel in the works as well. How many shows with medieval politics and back-stabbing and dragons and skin do we need before the recipe starts to taste a little stale?

I'm enjoying HOUSE OF THE DRAGON so far. But I fear that HBO is going to follow the same route paved by MARVEL, DC COMICS, STAR WARS, STAR TREK, etc. They are so desperate to keep the money train going that they may just drive it off a cliff.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:16 PM

661 posts, read 2,899,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I'd much rather Martin push HBO to adapt FEVRE DREAM. It's brilliant. The best one sentence description I can come up: What if Mark Twain had written DRACULA?
YES!! One of my all time favorite books. I'd forgotten he wrote it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV