Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 12:07 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Note. I have not read the books

In Game of Thrones there were many references to "The Mad King." Is Aemond the Mad King?
No, the Mad King was Aerys II. He was Daenerys's father, and was deposed by Robert Baratheon.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wik...s_II_Targaryen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 12:11 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Spoiler
One funny aspect of the story is that it was a few weeks ago now that Viserys was talking to Raenyra about The Prince That Was Promised and how it somehow determined who his heir should be.

The funny thing is that those of us who watched The Game of Thrones (which has to be a good 90% of the viewers of the new show) already know that The Prince That Was Promised theory came true, and led to the final resolution of TGOT. Doesn't that mean that from where we stand now we can be indifferent to whichever side wins this round?

I am more than willing to be corrected if I have this wrong.

Old 10-25-2022, 12:53 PM

5,681 posts, read 3,179,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think that poster was referring to the two children Rhaenyra and Daemon had together. Two young boys, Aegon and Viserys. The 3 older boys- Jace, Luke and Joffrey were the ones she had when married to Laenor (whose biological father was Harwin Strong).

Rhaenyra has/had 5 living children. The infant that was born stillborn would have been the 6th.
Oh, OK. I didn't realize she had 2 kids by Daemon already.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:00 PM

8,641 posts, read 10,174,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Spoiler
One funny aspect of the story is that it was a few weeks ago now that Viserys was talking to Raenyra about The Prince That Was Promised and how it somehow determined who his heir should be.

The funny thing is that those of us who watched The Game of Thrones (which has to be a good 90% of the viewers of the new show) already know that The Prince That Was Promised theory came true, and led to the final resolution of TGOT. Doesn't that mean that from where we stand now we can be indifferent to whichever side wins this round?

Random read: https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...inoff-prophecy

Of course the Jon Snow sequel hasn't even been greenlit yet by HBO and is still in "early development".

Old 10-25-2022, 05:59 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,201,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Oh, OK. I didn't realize she had 2 kids by Daemon already.
No worries. Easy to overlook since those boys are both really young and inconsequential as characters at this point.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Spoiler

Since it is all fantasy anyway, does it matter if you are wrong or right?

Old 10-25-2022, 10:33 PM

7,388 posts, read 12,697,920 times
I deleted the message above, because I realized the question about the Mad King's identity had already been answered.

But I love the theory posted in inverse.com, and I agree with JackMc that it's not as if the story from now on will be a nail-biter--because in the GoT universe the future has already happened, and the prophecy came true. I guess that's the nature of prequels--we learn how things happened, not that they happened. Unless of course we don't know about the whole Jon Snow story!

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 10-25-2022 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-26-2022, 12:19 AM

2,081 posts, read 1,611,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Could someone explain why Aemon is so much bigger/older than the boy who took his eye out? They appeared to be around the same age when that happened. Now Aemon is around 6' with bass in his voice and the other boys look like 8th Graders.

In the book, Aemond is supposed to be around 20 and Lucerys 13 or 14, when Aemond and Vhagar attacked and killed Lucerys and Arrax above Shipbreaker Bay. At the time of the fight when Lucerys took out Aemond's eye, I believe that (in the book), Lucerys was younger than the actor who played him in the show, only five years old; he's closer to Aemond's age in the show, more like eight or nine.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:58 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
But I love the theory posted in inverse.com, and I agree with JackMc that it's not as if the story from now on will be a nail-biter--because in the GoT universe the future has already happened, and the prophecy came true. I guess that's the nature of prequels--we learn how things happened, not that they happened. Unless of course we don't know about the whole Jon Snow story!
This does kind of put the HOUSE OF THE DRAGON creators in a conundrum. Are they doing an adaptation of the books, or a prequel to the TV show? Because they differed quite markedly in a lot of ways. I'd bet cash money Martin will not end his series the way the TV show did. (I'd actually bet he won't finish, but that's another topic.)

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON's Season 1 finale? Meh. The pacing and lake of stakes continue to drag the show down. GAME OF THRONES first season ended with our favorite character, the hero of the show whom every one loved, getting his head lopped off. It was a major shocker (at least for anyone who hadn't read the book). HOUSE OF THE DRAGON ended with a long, drawn-out, often confusing chase scene ending in the death of a character we barely knew.

I have no doubt next season will be full of spectacle, but without some better writing it is going to continue to feel empty. Does anyone really care who gets the Iron Throne at this point? Not me. Would the death of any of these characters really hurt? Nope. And is there any tension remaining over the Song of Ice and Fire? Not a bit.

Hindsight is often 20/20, but in hindsight, this show's setting was a mistake. We know all there is to know already, and none of the characters tug at hour heart strings. There is no mystery and no affection, so the drama is robbed of all tension. This show should have taken an era when there was still lots of room for character and plot development. I'd much rather know about the Doom of Valyria or the Conquest of the Andals or the Invasion of Dorne than be privy to what meetings Rhaenerys took on her way to a fate I already know.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:08 AM

8,641 posts, read 10,174,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This does kind of put the HOUSE OF THE DRAGON creators in a conundrum. Are they doing an adaptation of the books, or a prequel to the TV show? Because they differed quite markedly in a lot of ways. I'd bet cash money Martin will not end his series the way the TV show did. (I'd actually bet he won't finish, but that's another topic.)

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON's Season 1 finale? Meh. The pacing and lake of stakes continue to drag the show down. GAME OF THRONES first season ended with our favorite character, the hero of the show whom every one loved, getting his head lopped off. It was a major shocker (at least for anyone who hadn't read the book). HOUSE OF THE DRAGON ended with a long, drawn-out, often confusing chase scene ending in the death of a character we barely knew.

I have no doubt next season will be full of spectacle, but without some better writing it is going to continue to feel empty. Does anyone really care who gets the Iron Throne at this point? Not me. Would the death of any of these characters really hurt? Nope. And is there any tension remaining over the Song of Ice and Fire? Not a bit.

Hindsight is often 20/20, but in hindsight, this show's setting was a mistake. We know all there is to know already, and none of the characters tug at hour heart strings. There is no mystery and no affection, so the drama is robbed of all tension. This show should have taken an era when there was still lots of room for character and plot development. I'd much rather know about the Doom of Valyria or the Conquest of the Andals or the Invasion of Dorne than be privy to what meetings Rhaenerys took on her way to a fate I already know.
Sure, the main story has already been "told". According to GRRM who co-wrote the show and episodes, House of the Dragon is supposed to be canonical to what happened with this story, unlike GRRM’s book Fire & Blood which documents the histories based on various unreliable accounts via word of mouth from maesters, septons, other literature, and Mushroom. Naturally, the truth should show some deviation from these various accounts. It’s like Robert Evans’ saying, “There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently.” The sources weren’t up in the sky witnessing what exactly happened, so if GRRM decides to it being shown differently, then I’m good with that. His world and we’re just here to enjoy it.

However, I am in agreement with you when it comes to the Doom of Valyria leading up to Aegon's Conquest. I'd love to see that onscreen! I won't hold my breathe though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV