Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2022, 05:43 AM

22,955 posts, read 28,362,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Great episode.
Definitely one of the best ones to date. Every scene advanced plot or character. Very well paced episode.

Quote:
I had no problem with the actor change.
We were actually 20 minutes in before my wife even noticed. But yes, I do like the new actresses very much.

Quote:
Larys is a first class schemer. The bee is cunning.
He is, but he is also the one part of the story that keeps making me scratch my head. After last night, I can't think of a single reason why the Queen wouldn't have him quietly killed. She's an idiot not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 07:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,256,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
He is, but he is also the one part of the story that keeps making me scratch my head. After last night, I can't think of a single reason why the Queen wouldn't have him quietly killed. She's an idiot not to.
It's useful to have someone to carry out your (almost) unspoken wishes. It would be hard to trace back to her, and all queens need a conniver working for them.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:04 AM

5,715 posts, read 3,209,533 times
Quote:
Ten years after...

Great episode. All the pieces are coming together for the Dance. I had no problem with the actor change. Maybe at first glance, you notice they've obviously changed. Ten minutes in, they are who they are. I read where they actually cast the older actors first, since they will be with us for seasons to come. Then went and found the younger actors.

Larys is a first class schemer. The bee is cunning.

I commented on how childbirth was really tough back then, and my wife said "it still is". Never talk about childbirth in front of someone who's actually been thru it.
My husband commented on the blood on the floor, as they were walking away with the baby. He said something like "Something's wrong, she's still bleeding." I kind of laughed, and said she JUST gave birth. Blood is normal. Getting up and walking around the castle 5 minutes after giving birth is not."

Old 10-02-2022, 06:38 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,560,208 times
Admittedly I am probably jaded by the production and acting in the Game of Thrones series, but I find myself yawning watching this series.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,031,511 times
All I want to say is Vhagar has a lot of stretch marks, and his chin skin is hanging. It must be very old.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:37 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,256,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
All I want to say is Vhagar has a lot of stretch marks, and his chin skin is hanging. It must be very old.
Vhagar is the oldest living dragon. She belonged to Visenya Targaryen, sister-wife of Aegon the Conqueror. Back in year 0, Visenya on Vhagar, along with Aegon on Balerion, and Rhaenys (his other sister-wife) on Meraxes, conquered Westeros, and that's when Aegon started the Targaryen dynasty.

When Visenya died in yr 44, Vhagar went riderless for 60 or so years, until Laena Velaryon tamed her.

Then when Laena died in yr 120 (which we just saw), Aemond Targaryen claimed her.

Fromthe wiki:
Vhagar was a destructive, quarrelsome and aggressive creature all her life, even for a dragon. Her roar was one of the most fearsome of any of her kind, noted to have shaken the very foundations of Storm's End during her prime. Vhagar was notably unperturbed by her old age, and could contend with the likes of Caraxes even though she was nearly two hundred years old. Visenya herself admitted that Vhagar was a quarrelsome beast, as dangerous as Balerion and Meraxes and as terrifying as any dragon that would ever succeed her.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:32 AM

22,955 posts, read 28,362,305 times
Last night's episode was okay. There are two things that continue to keep me from being deeply invested in this show:

1. The plot continually revolves around every character making stupid, stupid, stupid choices.

2. The stakes are so low. This show is 100% about politics: Who will get the Iron Throne? And honestly, I could not care less. They're all monsters. I wouldn't want any one of our main characters in charge of anything.

It's hard to invest in a story when there is no one to root for, and everyone is an idiot.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:24 AM

10,122 posts, read 6,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Last night's episode was okay. There are two things that continue to keep me from being deeply invested in this show:

1. The plot continually revolves around every character making stupid, stupid, stupid choices.

2. The stakes are so low. This show is 100% about politics: Who will get the Iron Throne? And honestly, I could not care less. They're all monsters. I wouldn't want any one of our main characters in charge of anything.

It's hard to invest in a story when there is no one to root for, and everyone is an idiot.
That's how I feel about the series now. Normally there is at least one protagonist that you can "root" for, but here everyone is power mad and without scruples of any kind. I simply don't have any emotional investment in any of them like I did in Jon Snow, Tyrion, or even Daenerys until she went off the rails.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:14 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,110,638 times
While I understand that dragons must be totally CGI and that everyone imagines what they might look like differently, I just don't like how they are portrayed either in GOT or this series. Their physical motion seems off. Guess it's my biologist brain interfering with my suspension of belief. Sure, there are lots of meticulous details (almost too meticulous) to revel in, but I find them unbelievable. There is usually some functional beauty in all creatures, particularly flying creatures. These airborne beasts are an exception. Cumbersome, distorted, exaggerated, those flexy wimpy wings just wouldn't support that sort of weight, etc.

I also find myself getting bored with the neverending political maneuvering between characters none of whom seem to be worthy of someone's good opinion. I get the message: it's supposed to be a cruel dog-eat-dog world where being an upstanding person won't save you, but without a ray of light anywhere? Not even the stereotypic humble goodhearted peasant thrown into the deep end of history by chance? What really separates this from the broadcast evening news? Everyone just gets to wear swords and prettier dresses.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-03-2022 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-04-2022, 01:03 AM

7,396 posts, read 12,718,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
While I understand that dragons must be totally CGI and that everyone imagines what they might look like differently, I just don't like how they are portrayed either in GOT or this series. Their physical motion seems off. Guess it's my biologist brain interfering with my suspension of belief. Sure, there are lots of meticulous details (almost too meticulous) to revel in, but I find them unbelievable. There is usually some functional beauty in all creatures, particularly flying creatures. These airborne beasts are an exception. Cumbersome, distorted, exaggerated, those flexy wimpy wings just wouldn't support that sort of weight, etc.

I also find myself getting bored with the neverending political maneuvering between characters none of whom seem to be worthy of someone's good opinion. I get the message: it's supposed to be a cruel dog-eat-dog world where being an upstanding person won't save you, but without a ray of light anywhere? Not even the stereotypic humble goodhearted peasant thrown into the deep end of history by chance? What really separates this from the broadcast evening news? Everyone just gets to wear swords and prettier dresses.
I agree--a good story must have more than cynicism going for it. We watch these dragon shows to get transported away from the disturbing news of the day--we don't need "a dose of reality" in the fantasy world. I suspect it won't be long before they start talking about the rising cost of dragon breath fuel. There is nobody to root for, not even the kids. At least have a lovable pet in the series (and don't kill it off)!

But I have to admit that I was impressed by the flight of Vhagar. I allowed myself the suspension of disbelief and went flying with the dragon on my big screen TV. It may not have been biologically plausible, but to me that dragon soared! Astrohip, thanks for posting Vhagar's backstory. Now it makes more sense. I couldn't rep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV