Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:34 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

I have Frost, Morse, Lynley, Lewis, Foyle.........who am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:10 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Vera

Old 05-21-2021, 10:57 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I have Frost, Morse, Lynley, Lewis, Foyle.........who am I missing?
DCI Banks
STRIKE
CRACKER
SHETLAND
LUTHER
BROADCHURCH
FATHER BROWN
NEW TRICKS

Old 05-21-2021, 11:03 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Midsomer Murders is pretty sizable exclusion.
Various adaptations of Poirot and Marple
Endeavour
Grantchester
George Gently
Agatha Raisin
Cadfael

Old 05-21-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Midsomer Murders is pretty sizable exclusion.
Various adaptations of Poirot and Marple
Endeavour
Grantchester
George Gently
Agatha Raisin
Cadfael
Well, the problem with Midsomer Murders and Cadfael for that matter is that they are FAR, FAR too expensive (and DVD is the only format useful to me, thank God for regionless capability) for what is being offered. I love "Barnaby" (even if I do have serious doubts to how much detective work is actual done in those stories).....but not that much.

Cadfael and other religious detectives bring up a certain level of a conflict of interest. This was pointed out to me, decades ago, with that priest detective show Tom Bosely did. He catches the killer.....and now they are off to prison to be gang raped with a smile from him? Once that little light bulb came on, I could never look another religious detective again.

HOWEVER, I didn't ask that and I am trying to be as non judgemental as possible, just that I am more interested in those who work with a police department than just PIs.

There are a lot of good suggestions here and I am looking into getting samples.

Many are accepted without too much question.....some are accepted without question at all. I mean, if I had known that Douglas Henshaw was in one....... And Martin Shaw? Have loved him since Daliguish and The New Avengers.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-21-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 12:29 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
prime suspect

it's older but I thoroughly enjoyed life on mars.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:06 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,380 times
Quote:
Well, the problem with Midsomer Murders and Cadfael for that matter is that they are FAR, FAR too expensive (and DVD is the only format useful to me, thank God for regionless capability) for what is being offered. I love "Barnaby" (even if I do have serious doubts to how much detective work is actual done in those stories).....but not that much.

Cadfael and other religious detectives bring up a certain level of a conflict of interest. This was pointed out to me, decades ago, with that priest detective show Tom Bosely did. He catches the killer.....and now they are off to prison to be gang raped with a smile from him? Once that little light bulb came on, I could never look another religious detective again.

HOWEVER, I didn't ask that and I am trying to be as non judgemental as possible, just that I am more interested in those who work with a police department than just PIs.

There are a lot of good suggestions here and I am looking into getting samples.

Many are accepted without too much question.....some are accepted without question at all. I mean, if I had known that Douglas Henshaw was in one....... And Martin Shaw? Have loved him since Daliguish and The New Avengers.
I don't know if you have a library close by, but I borrow Midsomer Murders from there for free.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:07 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
That's certainly a take--I don't know that abuse of prisoners by priests is that widespread that it's something that needs to be avoided in fiction. Though, at the same time, I'm very cognizant of avoiding copaganda in my procedurals, so to each their own.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:09 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Line of Duty
Silent Witness

Old 05-21-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
I don't know if you have a library close by, but I borrow Midsomer Murders from there for free.
Oh, think of all the money I could save if I did!

The thing is that while the check out period is usually 14 days, I don't have 14 days. Certain videos fit into certain theme days, by my definition.

So, Monday-Swords & Clubs, Tuesday-DIE, SPY! (when I usually watch Foyle), Wednesday-SUPERCHICK (so Vera, McMillian & Wife could fit into that night), Thursday-Cops&Robbers (so when I do my mystery movies often), Friday-Horror&Fantasy, Saturday-Sci Fi & Fantasy, and Sunday-Men&Women of STEEL (usually my Westerns and War movies though some mysteries are possible).

Now, it's not cast in stone but it is a certain procedure that gives focus to my life.

Another thing is that I am not a binge watcher. First of all, I don't have the time. I barely get through my TV show and movie a night. The other thing is that there are only so many of each show especially when while they may have, say, gone on for 8 seasons, it was like only 4 movies or so a season. So eventually, I will run out.

There is something else as well that could be counter to my way of watching. How long are they "out there"? Even though my film library is full of purchases that were done "hit the iron when hot", that is, many seasons bought all at once, once they are in the library, they can wait for me, wait for their slot on the schedule. How long are they in the public library until they go out of style? Whose clock am I rushing against?

Finally, life right now seems to be a lot of "working for the bomber command". That is, I go through life doing my job but at the end of the day, my energy is shot and I am not looking for more to do but rather, that "airfield I can touch down at, even if I have to dead stick it in". Having a personal library plays to that but how many extra trips are skipped with "Oh, I am too tired, I'll do it tomorrow!"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's certainly a take--I don't know that abuse of prisoners by priests is that widespread that it's something that needs to be avoided in fiction. Though, at the same time, I'm very cognizant of avoiding copaganda in my procedurals, so to each their own.
It's not an abuse of prisoners per se but rather how can one keep smiling, showing a face of goodness when they are the ones who are sending people to jail, people who will end up being raped in the Big House? For whatever might be said of who is really responsible, it still makes it very difficult to accept the primary character for what he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Line of Duty
Silent Witness
I will look them up.

A thing or two I think I should mention is that I don't like shows that break the rules because "the ends justify the means". This is why I have turned my back on so many American shows. Now when it happens in an overseas show, it can get a break because that is a different CJ system, I don't know their rules.

BUT.....if you are going to suggest a show that makes a practice of doing that, at least tell me, please, so I know not to buy it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-21-2021 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV