Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 07:28 PM

12,791 posts, read 15,031,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
How many ads does PlutoTv have in an hour program? Can't remember if it was Pluto or Philo that had more ads than program.

Don't know about Pluto, but Philo has ads for sure, yet at times, I can fast forward through them at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 08:01 PM

181 posts, read 96,222 times
We recently dropped satellite TV for streaming. We did have to upgrade our internet from DSL to Starlink, so our costs for that more than doubled, but our Sling subscription is a third of what we were paying for TV. So the overall costs are pretty much a wash, but we get the benefit of much better internet.

We have Prime, but mostly for the shipping benefits, we don't watch a whole lot of the Prime content. We do watch a lot of Freevee, for example we've been binge watching classic Columbo episodes today.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:48 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Have been arguing with Peacock about the NFL games. They won't stream for me. They blame my computer, but can't explain how I can stream games on Prime and Paramount+ with no problems. Turns out, many people are having a problem with Peacock.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:58 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
I'm disappointed, but not surprised that the streaming services are now operating at a 2 tier system, one with and the other without ads. It was inevitable. Just like HBO and cable started out with no commercials, streaming services now have commercials in the middle of programming. Paramount+ has a lot. The others, some with less, will probably increase the amount of ads until it reaches OA and cable levels. I'm sure the option of paying more to avoid commercials will be completely eliminated at some point.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:38 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times
Hulu+Live TV is my main go to.
AppleTV+

Netflix
Amazon Prime - already had from ordering packages
*Max
*ESPN+
*Disney+
* Part of my phone bundle. I would give up Disney+ if I had to pay separately.

I will add Peacock and Paramount+ at different times of the year, depending on what's happening.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:47 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
AppleTV+

Netflix
*Max
*ESPN+
*Disney+

I will add Peacock and Paramount+ at different times of the year, depending on what's happening.
You are probably paying more than cable.

Old 01-13-2024, 06:34 AM

12,404 posts, read 8,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You are probably paying more than cable.
Then again due to exclusive contracts what's on cable except a selection of reality and 10 year old TV series running daily marathons and a few oldies stations where they choose the broadcast time? The sports broadcast the leagues aren't charging a streaming premium for, yet and not much else variety

Old 01-13-2024, 10:00 AM

9,899 posts, read 7,249,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Then again due to exclusive contracts what's on cable except a selection of reality and 10 year old TV series running daily marathons and a few oldies stations where they choose the broadcast time? The sports broadcast the leagues aren't charging a streaming premium for, yet and not much else variety
Ummm the people hoping to watch the Dolphins vs. Chiefs today aren't too happy about it being exclusively on Peacock. Amazon has the Thursday night NFL and Friday night MLB games outside team's local area. Want to watch EPL games - better get Peacock. Many of the other top soccer leagues are exclusive to Paramount Plus. Apple TV + is the only place to watch MLS games outside of 1 national game on Fox.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:08 PM

9,184 posts, read 6,361,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
AppleTV+

Netflix
*Max
*ESPN+
*Disney+

I see that opinion quite frequently all over the internet now. It seems like Disney+ has to be bundled with something essential to attract subscriptions.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 890,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I rely on my public library's huge collection of DVDs. Why collect physical things when they already exist at the library, at no charge?

I've never subscribed to a streaming service, just not enough of a watcher to justify it. When my library closed due to Covid I signed up for Netflix for a time, and had the DVDs sent in the mail. I joked that I was probably the only person in the country ordering the physical disks, and that when my orders came in they were probably retrieved from a dark storage room on shelves covered with dust.

With the streaming services, the providers keep track of what you're watching and when. I don't want that additional surveillance in my life...we have enough as it is.
I never watch old stuff so no need for dvds etc.

We have cable. Get 300 stations, wi Fi and landlines. We old folks prefer real phones to cell. Those are for out of the house travel etc. Plus we live where the cell service can be sketchy.
As for streaming I have Netflix Peacock..Prime and Max are free to us

Prefer up to date shows. Documentary and hubby very fussy about his sports.

Cable is better than streaming. I use my IPad for streaming, hubby uses TV

Yes it adds up each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV