Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 06:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times

Advertisements

What's been your experience with streaming? According to this more people have been cancelling some streaming services.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 07:15 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Unfort, there are to many streaming services and the costs are now adding up to what cable is.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:12 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Unfort, there are to many streaming services and the costs are now adding up to what cable is.
This.

We have prime, but that's just because we buy enough to justify the free shipping. We have Disney cause of star wars and marvel (and I like the small amount of nat geo stuff). We have Netflix for its superior content.

Tried Hulu, never used it. Had Curiosity Stream for a year, exhausted the content I liked and they rarely updated, so got rid of it. No YouTube, apple, paramount and no interest in getting them.

I do have a roku and watch that but it's free.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:44 AM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
This.

We have prime, but that's just because we buy enough to justify the free shipping. We have Disney cause of star wars and marvel (and I like the small amount of nat geo stuff). We have Netflix for its superior content.

Tried Hulu, never used it. Had Curiosity Stream for a year, exhausted the content I liked and they rarely updated, so got rid of it. No YouTube, apple, paramount and no interest in getting them.

I do have a roku and watch that but it's free.
We have Youtubetv and that's it.

For a free add on, we also get "FreeVee", which has a ton of channels, which I can always find something to watch between the two.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:56 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I fear that prices will increase like everything else & if so, I guess I'll binge-watch everything I can, then cancel for a while, then re-sign up again later when new shows start up again.

I never had any pricey LIVE streaming service...didn't want to turn around & pay just as much when my cable TV finally ended. I regularly keep these & I think I like them all pretty equally:

Hulu
Paramount+
Peacock
Philo

Did have these temporarily when there was promo pricing:

HBO Max
Curiosity Stream - I didn't watch hardly that much of it

Only had Netflix once 4-5 yrs ago on a trial, but should get it again one day.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Looks like things are going full circle. We started out with cable, which had all of your choices. Next came NetFlix. Then, we started getting the individual choices of streaming services. Now, they are starting to "bundle" them back together (aka Paramount+ now has Showtime). It will be interesting to see who ends up partnered/bought with who.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,314,226 times
You can add Max with the Discovery/Warner products and Disney/Hulu to the mix when it comes to streaming services being bundled together. Disney has already started migrating Hulu offerings into the Disney+ app and I think it's only a matter of time until they run it under one app.

Everyone complains about the rising cost of streaming while at the same time appreciates the on demand nature of the products. I know I have too many services, but I still find use for all of them given the cost.

YouTubeTV (cost with internet service is still cheaper than what I would pay for cable)
Amazon Prime (pay for it with free shipping benefits)
Netflix
Max (free and ad free with AT&T phone service, at least for now)
Peacock with ads (never cancelled after my dollar a month special and it's still worth it for the sports options at around $4)
Hulu with ads/Disney+ (Hulu is a dirt cheap ad on)

I've paid for AppleTV a couple of times for a month or so at a time to watch certain shows.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:47 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Looks like things are going full circle. We started out with cable, which had all of your choices. Next came NetFlix. Then, we started getting the individual choices of streaming services. Now, they are starting to "bundle" them back together (aka Paramount+ now has Showtime). It will be interesting to see who ends up partnered/bought with who.
The bundling rather than merging is done due to contractual obligations. Showtime already existed when Paramount Plus was launched to stream Paramount properties for cord cutters. Showtime has/had contracts with cable carriers and at some point it'll go away as a brand. But now that rumors are flying that Warner/Discovery might buy Paramount, it'll be interesting to see what happens then.

Disney owns most of Hulu and will be acquiring the last 33% from Comcast later this year. It's bundled with along with ESPN+ on Disney+ as a separate service targeted to adults. Keeping it distinct would make it simpler to sell it off in the future and it keeps the kiddos away from The Shield and American Horror Story.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
We have YouTube tv for general tv. We have Prime because we are Prime members for a long time not just for the streaming and I mostly watch on my ipad while my husband watches something else on the tv. We get Netflix and Apple TV free after changing my husband's phone service to T-mobile. Pretty much the same price we paid for AT&T with these two services free. I would not subscribe otherwise though I am enjoying a few series specific to these streaming services. YouTube tv is expensive but it has channels my husband enjoys and the weather channel was a big one that he wanted and I got Spectrum to lower internet price by going to the store so all in all still far less than I was paying for Spectrum tv+internet.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:07 PM

6,012 posts, read 2,835,083 times
I predicted about five years ago that streaming would eventually cost the same as cable, if you let it. I got eye rolls.

Personally, I'm watching less television than ever before. I don't pay for any streaming services. I watch the Roku Channel, PlutoTV, FreeVee, and Tubi. But, mostly PlutoTv and the Roku Channel. All free.

I decided it's cheaper to own all the movies and shows I watch than to pay to stream it, so I've been buying more DVD's and bluray's of movies and tv shows. It costs more up front (though buying used can mitigate some of the expense), but it's nice not having to figure out which streaming service has what I'm looking for, because the rights are always changing hands. That, and not everything I watch is available to stream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV