Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 02:42 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,158,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
I never watch old stuff so no need for dvds etc.

We have cable. Get 300 stations, wi Fi and landlines. We old folks prefer real phones to cell. Those are for out of the house travel etc. Plus we live where the cell service can be sketchy.
As for streaming I have Netflix Peacock..Prime and Max are free to us

Prefer up to date shows. Documentary and hubby very fussy about his sports.

Cable is better than streaming. I use my IPad for streaming, hubby uses TV

Yes it adds up each month.
We kept our old land line when I closed my business. $23.00 a month. Family usually calls that number. I have had it since 1992.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 12:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 889,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We kept our old land line when I closed my business. $23.00 a month. Family usually calls that number. I have had it since 1992.
We have the same number since 1978

Old 01-14-2024, 07:03 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,383,482 times
Can someone clarify how exactly streaming was supposed to affect the money that those striking actors can make?

Old 01-14-2024, 07:45 PM

12,402 posts, read 8,186,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Can someone clarify how exactly streaming was supposed to affect the money that those striking actors can make?
Residuals were based upon broadcast. There being no set broadcast but rather individuals ordering up a showing left no reporting function so the artist could claim their share of either the subscription fees or advertising time they sold.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 3,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The contracts for the three major groups--directors, actors, writers--didn't adequately cover streaming residuals. For example, if you are in a TV drama, and it gets syndicated, you are specified and guaranteed certain residual payments. But if it goes to Netflix, you could get as little as nothing.

You had cases where actors had very successful series, and then later those series ended up on Netflix/Disney/Hulu etc. And they were getting no money for these shows.

I have friends who get checks every month for thousands of dollars for shows they made years ago, that are shown an TV and cable. And get pennies for those same shows when Netflix shows them.

The strike was to force the big streamers to have guaranteed minimums they had to pay the actors and writers and directors.

Disclaimer: I'm a member of the DGA.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:22 PM

^^

Thanks for the info on streaming and residuals. It's interesting seeing the adjustments that have to be made in relation to new technology.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:06 PM

Here's a price comparison between streaming vs cable.

"The price comparison is not always so simple

Although it’s undeniable that streaming services have grown more expensive in recent years, it’s certainly not the case that any combination of streaming services is going to be cheaper or more expensive than traditional cable. For one thing, cable costs can vary pretty wildly depending on what region of the country you live in (and numerous other factors), whereas streaming costs are the same for everyone in the same tier. For another, you can choose which streaming services to subscribe to, which allows you to choose which costs you incur. Cable has some selectivity, but the base costs are always much higher than they are with streamers.

As a result, it’s not really fair to say that streaming is always the more expensive option, although it’s now true that it can be the more expensive option. If you’re the kind of person who has trouble managing subscriptions and gets charged for services you never or rarely use, then the streaming era may even be costing you substantially more than you would have paid before."

https://www.themanual.com/culture/re...ve-than-cable/

Old 01-19-2024, 09:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I predicted about five years ago that streaming would eventually cost the same as cable, if you let it. I got eye rolls.

Personally, I'm watching less television than ever before. I don't pay for any streaming services. I watch the Roku Channel, PlutoTV, FreeVee, and Tubi. But, mostly PlutoTv and the Roku Channel. All free.

I decided it's cheaper to own all the movies and shows I watch than to pay to stream it, so I've been buying more DVD's and bluray's of movies and tv shows. It costs more up front (though buying used can mitigate some of the expense), but it's nice not having to figure out which streaming service has what I'm looking for, because the rights are always changing hands. That, and not everything I watch is available to stream.
That's sort of like me only I buy DVDs because, first, what passes for entertainment these days is unacceptable to me and secondly, I have decided I am through with going through media format change after change and stopped at DVDs.

BUT, between DVDs and the players, it's not the world it use to be. Such as being able to get a player these days.

So if streaming becomes unacceptable.....what's left? What can be used instead?

Old 01-19-2024, 10:07 AM

12,402 posts, read 8,186,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That's sort of like me only I buy DVDs because, first, what passes for entertainment these days is unacceptable to me and secondly, I have decided I am through with going through media format change after change and stopped at DVDs.

BUT, between DVDs and the players, it's not the world it use to be. Such as being able to get a player these days.

So if streaming becomes unacceptable.....what's left? What can be used instead?
I guess you mean paying for a streamer is unacceptable

Either wait for the free ad supported streamer to pick a specific movie up, assuming its not locked away as an exclusive like a Star Wars movie, or the cable TV syndicators to rotate the movie onto the broadcast schedule just like the early 70s before the VCR hit the market.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess you mean paying for a streamer is unacceptable

Either wait for the free ad supported streamer to pick a specific movie up, assuming its not locked away as an exclusive like a Star Wars movie, or the cable TV syndicators to rotate the movie onto the broadcast schedule just like the early 70s before the VCR hit the market.
Well, whatever users of streaming decide is unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV