Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 08:17 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,194,460 times

Advertisements

I have Optimum cable with the DVR I pay for also. I have Optimum cable internet also.

I recently purchased my grown up (LOL) HD TV with apps I didn't know I would get and one is YouTube, Newsmax and other apps. I guess I could slum through them for entertainment.

I have two streaming apps I use from the new TV remote Netflix and Amazon. My cable bill is now up to $164.28 monthly.

I would like to cut down that bill but without regular and cable TV channels that I hardly bother with anymore and Netflix and Amazon videos I would go crazy. Especially in the winter.

I live in a multi-dwelling condominium and my municipality as well as the building only have two choices Optimum and Verizon. I use to have Verizon but they are much more expensive than optimum so I switched.

I just don't know if there is any other option and the dish is not permitted here. I have enough problems with wifi here with my damn hp 3755 printer now I'm thinking maybe someone here could suggest something for cutting cable for dummies who know nothing about setting up anything without a company.

I recently found old TV shows I liked on the cable channels so I recorded them so at least now the DVR is coming in handy for something but it's a DVR through you guessed it Optimum.

Am I just one of those people who must stay with the cheaper one Optimum? and now far to many old TV shows and movies are freeve with ads If I wanted ads I wouldn't have Amazon Prime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 02:24 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
If your only option for signal reception is via cable (you can't mount an OTA antenna, you are not permitted to install any type of individual subscription dish on the building, and there doesn't happen to be a public WIFI hotspot close enough to the building), you may be stuck with Optimum.

Very basically, a receiver on the TV either has to pick up signals floating through the air or the signal transmitted via a physical cable. You're paying to keep that cable active. You may be able to reduce your bill by choosing a less expensive service package (removing subscriptions to any premium channels/services you have now) but you still need to pay to access the basic signal so your new TV can receive anything such as YouTube, Newsmax, apps, etc.

If you lived in a SFH you would have the option to install a WIFI receiver or satellite dish owned/operated by someone other than Optimum.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-20-2024 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-20-2024, 02:26 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,251,472 times
Our HOA is now forcing us to buy Optimum cable as an "amenity". Most of us have satellite so this is a complete hose-job. And there is no opt-out.

Old 04-20-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If your only option for signal reception is via cable (you can't mount an OTA antenna, you are not permitted to install any type of individual subscription dish on the building, and there doesn't happen to be a public WIFI hotspot close enough to the building), you may be stuck with Optimum.

Very basically, a receiver on the TV either has to pick up signals floating through the air or the signal transmitted via a physical cable. You're paying to keep that cable active. You may be able to reduce your bill by choosing a less expensive service package (removing subscriptions to any premium channels/services you have now) but you still need to pay to access the basic signal so your new TV can receive anything such as YouTube, Newsmax, apps, etc.

If you lived in a SFH you would have the option to install a WIFI receiver or satellite dish owned/operated by someone other than Optimum.
I do get the YouTube, Newsmax, apps I hardly ever use. They are strict here with the dish not being allowed and they recently canceled the cable in the clubhouse so we can't go there to use those stations to watch. I was considering what you said last night change my channel line up. Since I have a no contract agreement where I could cancel anytime I will look into what new deals I can get to lower this bill and not lose the animal channel and not have to have a locked in contract time frame agreement.

Old 04-20-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Our HOA is now forcing us to buy Optimum cable as an "amenity". Most of us have satellite so this is a complete hose-job. And there is no opt-out.
Whoa what. That is not right to force you. I see what you mean though calling it an amenity is how they get you go along with them and have to pay like it or not. It's like when they have a pool area it's repairs, upkeep, water and lifeguard are included in the HOA fees. Then we have to pay for guests $100.00 each guest. I forget how much it is for residents to pay for the summer it is not as much as the cost for guests.

I don't see why you have to pay when most likely the wires are already set up in the building. My condominium is not a separate house it's in a multi-dwelling building so they did all the wires when the buildings were built. Yet we don't even have cable as an amenity except with the clubhouse, well not anymore.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:30 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post

I don't see why you have to pay when most likely the wires are already set up in the building. My condominium is not a separate house it's in a multi-dwelling building so they did all the wires when the buildings were built. Yet we don't even have cable as an amenity except with the clubhouse, well not anymore.
That wiring requires maintenance & repair and those services aren't free. The HOA wants to pass that cost through to you. They'll either do that by increasing your HOA dues or making you pay for your own subscription to the service provider.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:17 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,427,242 times
Both Verizon and T-Mobile offer 5G and LTE wireless home internet. Check to see if either is available in your area.

I switched from Wide Open West's physical land cable to a Verizon 5G wireless home hub. Had to literally stick the home hub router onto the inside of an exterior window that faced the general direction of the 5G transceiver that's on a utility pole two blocks away. The home hub is a bigger unit than I anticipated, but it's hung onto the window pane for several years now without any issues aside from having to occasionally rebooting the device when the speed drops too low.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:21 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,968,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Both Verizon and T-Mobile offer 5G and LTE wireless home internet.
I had T-Mobile Internet for a few months. When it worked, I usually got 25-50Mb. When things got congested, it would drop to less than 1Mb. As a long time T-Mobile cell subscriber, I really wanted it to work. I got a good support guy that worked with me for a few weeks while they tried to tweak things. Unfortunately, the times when the speeds would drop where the same times I wanted to watch streaming services, so I had to switch back to the cable monster.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:45 PM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,676,438 times
OP, how much money would you save by eliminating cable television and just getting internet? Enough to justify a streaming subscription to Sling, YouTubeTV, Philo, or whichever carries content you like?

Old 04-24-2024, 05:55 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,251,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Whoa what. That is not right to force you. I see what you mean though calling it an amenity is how they get you go along with them and have to pay like it or not. It's like when they have a pool area it's repairs, upkeep, water and lifeguard are included in the HOA fees. Then we have to pay for guests $100.00 each guest. I forget how much it is for residents to pay for the summer it is not as much as the cost for guests.

we all live in custom single family homes. They want us to pay for cable service whether we want it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV