Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:36 PM

154 posts, read 187,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I know that it takes time to build memento but seriously, when Mr. X starts asking "Do you want to have sex?" during the premiere of Top Gear USA after being an avid fan of Top Gear all his life it means it is BORRRRRRRRING....

I found the presenters not entertaining at all. It was as though as it was too contrived. Adam Ferrera is ok but who the heck is Rutledge and Foust? They could have come up with a better team and chemistry.

They need to present the Stig in a better light....like

"Some say he arrive on the Mayflower in search of a better road system than London and the freedom to drive in a straight line.... Some say he founded America not through a GPS Smart Nav or Tom Tom....all we know is that he is The Stig!"
Who is Foust? He belongs on there much more than the other 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
Ditto to what the other guys said - go back and watch the first few seasons of Top Gear UK, then tell me that Top Gear US sucks. They were incredibly awkward and took several seasons to develop their banter and charisma together. Last nights episode definitely was weak compared to the UK show, but it still had cool cars and they'll get their personalities sync'd up in due time.

I think Adam Ferrera was my least favorite of the guys last night, as I'm not sure how he fits into the series. He's a comedian, what value does he offer to the car enthusiast world and how on earth does he have an opinion that means anything? He's got zero experience with high performance cars and doesn't seem qualified in the least to be giving worthwhile reviews on the show. I would've liked to have seen them land someone better for the lead role. Jay Leno actually would've been a great fit due to being a car enthusiast and having already developed a TV personality, but I guess the other option pays a little better for him (his garage blog has some good reviews though, and I think he would've fit right into this role).

As for who the other two guys are, really?

Tanner Foust is a multi-championship winning driver in rally and drift race series, and he's been a stunt car driver in several movies. Honestly, he should be the Stig for this series; that guy can flat out drive, and has the most experience to be offering his opinion on these cars. I do think he's going to need some time to develop that "TV persona", but he's by far the most qualified to offer any sort of merited opinion on driving.

Rutledge Wood has been on numerous TV shows on the Speed channel and has earned his way into the automotive TV segment, I think he has the best personality for this show and expect him to develop into the best character for the show.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Ditto to what the other guys said - go back and watch the first few seasons of Top Gear UK, then tell me that Top Gear US sucks. They were incredibly awkward and took several seasons to develop their banter and charisma together. Last nights episode definitely was weak compared to the UK show, but it still had cool cars and they'll get their personalities sync'd up in due time.

I think Adam Ferrera was my least favorite of the guys last night, as I'm not sure how he fits into the series. He's a comedian, what value does he offer to the car enthusiast world and how on earth does he have an opinion that means anything? He's got zero experience with high performance cars and doesn't seem qualified in the least to be giving worthwhile reviews on the show. I would've liked to have seen them land someone better for the lead role. Jay Leno actually would've been a great fit due to being a car enthusiast and having already developed a TV personality, but I guess the other option pays a little better for him (his garage blog has some good reviews though, and I think he would've fit right into this role).

As for who the other two guys are, really?

Tanner Foust is a multi-championship winning driver in rally and drift race series, and he's been a stunt car driver in several movies. Honestly, he should be the Stig for this series; that guy can flat out drive, and has the most experience to be offering his opinion on these cars. I do think he's going to need some time to develop that "TV persona", but he's by far the most qualified to offer any sort of merited opinion on driving.

Rutledge Wood has been on numerous TV shows on the Speed channel and has earned his way into the automotive TV segment, I think he has the best personality for this show and expect him to develop into the best character for the show.

I have lived in the UK and I have watched all of the Top Gear Series. Yes it was a bit boring in the beginning but it still worked well and I enjoyed it much more than this version.

As for Tanner, there are many others that could have been a better choice for his position. He may know how to drive, he may have won championships but he is too bland and yes he would have been better as the Stig. It keeps his mouth shut and would have also kept people guessing as to who is the Stig as that has been the case for many years in the UK.

Rutledge is bearable and I do hope he develops a bit more.

Adam Ferrera should stick to Rescue Me. He is Ok in the comedy factor but I feel Jay Leno really should have done the show instead of begging to get the Tonight Show back. I would have enjoyed it more.

Mr. X and I have been discussing what our dream team would be on Top Gear and have yet to decide but will let you know.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
but I feel Jay Leno really should have done the show instead of begging to get the Tonight Show back.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Sorry... I'm a loyal fan of the BBC Top Gear. I don't "do" imitations... especially bad ones.

I LOL every time I recall the BBC Top Gear where they crossed Vietnam on mopeds. Best. Show. Ever. Or when they ran the Corvette thru the mall; running from "the badies".

You can't just do your own version of this stuff.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Sorry... I'm a loyal fan of the BBC Top Gear. I don't "do" imitations... especially bad ones.

I LOL every time I recall the BBC Top Gear where they crossed Vietnam on mopeds. Best. Show. Ever. Or when they ran the Corvette thru the mall; running from "the badies".

You can't just do your own version of this stuff.
I love the one where they cross the English Channel to France, Vietnam and Africa were great! One of my fave is the smallest car ever and Jeremy drives it right past the BBC News during recording!

There are just too many faves to post!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Could they not have at least tried an ORIGINAL format?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX
but I feel Jay Leno really should have done the show instead of begging to get the Tonight Show back.
I read somewhere that Leno turned down the chance to be on the show as he said he would be too constrained by sponsors demands to glorify their automotive products Something TG UK doesnt have to worry about..

Old 11-25-2010, 09:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I read somewhere that Leno turned down the chance to be on the show as he said he would be too constrained by sponsors demands to glorify their automotive products Something TG UK doesnt have to worry about..
And thats the exact reason why this version will never do as well as the original. Remember how they gushed all over the Viper, not one bad word about it.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
I think that this show might appeal to people who haven't seen the original. This show might also give us a chance to slam some British cars, like the British version slams American cars. Not that I think it's not warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV