Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM

952 posts, read 3,710,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
There is little to no reality about them. They are "mostly" scripted, and although some of the people on them are "regular guys/gals" for the most part they are VERY LOW MINOR LEAGUE actors and actresses.

Or did you assume there were that many women running around the "regular world" with breast augmentation?

golfgod

You don't have to be rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,022,236 times
The thing about reality shows is that you only see a few hours of footage of a process that took months. So, that gives producers and editors hundreds of hours of footage so that they can make people appear however they want.

When you have that much footage of someone, you can make the nicest person into an ass.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM

285 posts, read 617,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Bad girls club, real house wifes, real world, rock of love, I love New York and so on. I know one guy who was really close to get picked for Big Brother but they told him he wasn't controversial enough.
Do you guys have any idea how this work. `
The only thing "real" is the blatant amount of BS involved. Networks and producers (et al) catering to the lowest common denominator available. Oh and the (almost) unbelievable need of so many people to embarrass themselves in front of a camera. Except that most, if not all, of said people are blissfully unaware of how tacky, tiresome, disturbing, embarrassing, and just plain boring they are. I've given up on all (un)reality shows. Has anyone else noticed that each show uses "throw away" contestants? People/players who have absolutely no business being chosen as contestants in the first place? Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef were the last two I was trying to hang onto but....no more.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 AM

10,230 posts, read 11,208,960 times
I think the Biggest Loser.. is as close to reality as a show is going to get.

Most of these reality shows are overly edited - for drama/ratings.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,862,014 times
I auditioned for a role on a "reality show," but had to agree not to mention the name of the show since no one's supposed to know that it's actually mostly scripted .....

Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,653,601 times
Quote:
Bad girls club, real house wifes, real world, rock of love, I love New York and so on.
That one always makes me laugh. "Real housewives"? Those women are not real housewives. More like real trophy wives!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM

750 posts, read 1,437,010 times
We need to remember, whenever we watch "reality TV" that these shows all have people on their staffs named "writers". What do they do? they write! They create a script, a story-arc, whatever you want to call it. Part of it's done while the cameras are rolling, in script meetings. Scenes, setups, dialogue, drama, are decided. Then in post-production, the footage is cut to fit the story written by the writers. Voila! Reality show!

An example is going on right now with "Real Housewives of New York". The buildup has been ongoing for a season highlight: a whiz-bang, drama-filled tennis match. Every episode has some reference (or outright screaming) about the tennis match. It's being set up for Mario-the-semi-pro and his wife Ramona to play Jill and her mysterious partner. Ooooooh! Whoooo will it be? Andre Agassi? Pete Sampras? John McEnroe? The hints and speculation! Aren't you sad that your life lacks such high drama?
Such REALITY?
Urg.

What's sad is that there is some actual, real life drama going on, with the Countess and her husband the Count divorcing. Too bad the show was filmed and edited to death months ago.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
An example is going on right now with "Real Housewives of New York". The buildup has been ongoing for a season highlight: a whiz-bang, drama-filled tennis match. Every episode has some reference (or outright screaming) about the tennis match. It's being set up for Mario-the-semi-pro and his wife Ramona to play Jill and her mysterious partner. Ooooooh! Whoooo will it be? Andre Agassi? Pete Sampras? John McEnroe? The hints and speculation! Aren't you sad that your life lacks such high drama?
Such REALITY?
Urg.

What's sad is that there is some actual, real life drama going on, with the Countess and her husband the Count divorcing. Too bad the show was filmed and edited to death months ago.

No, I'm waiting for the Reunion show to see the blowup w/ Bethany and Kelly after Kelly's, "I'm up here and your down here" little ego trip. Who cares about the stupid tennis match.......

We always say it is best to watch these shows and think how GREAT your life is after seeing these peoples lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV