Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

Is this show worth starting up and watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
yes it is. We watched it real time once and decided it was too violent for us and the subject matter was of little interest. But once it became so popular and talked about everywhere we started watching it on Showtime and I couldn't put it down. Funny in so many ways and so incredibly sad in others. Very much worth the time we put into it.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:30 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I went to Los Pollos Hermanos today. Sat and ate in Walt's booth. It was a personal hoot, but it is just any other Twisters, which happens to be way off the beaten path in the South Valley.
I just happened to watch "Paul" this weekend again.. The "Big Chief" gas station where Jesse fills up the RV in S2 and trades gas for meth with the tubby girl behind the counter AND where Walt makes the call to find out where Gretchen lives and takes the watch off is in it.. So.. I assume that is a 'studio' gas station or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Is this show worth starting up and watching?
Without question.. The first episode is great.. But.. It takes 3 or 4 episodes until you stop seeing Malcolm's dad and start seeing Walt.

That was one of the reasons I stayed away from it at the start.. Didn't think I could buy Cranston in the role.. He wins you over very quickly.

And.. What's up with him and Will Ferrell? Two people who apparently have to be filmed in their underwear in everything they do.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I just happened to watch "Paul" this weekend again.. The "Big Chief" gas station where Jesse fills up the RV in S2 and trades gas for meth with the tubby girl behind the counter AND where Walt makes the call to find out where Gretchen lives and takes the watch off is in it.. So.. I assume that is a 'studio' gas station or something?
I doubt it.

Quote:
Without question.. The first episode is great.. But.. It takes 3 or 4 episodes until you stop seeing Malcolm's dad and start seeing Walt.

That was one of the reasons I stayed away from it at the start.. Didn't think I could buy Cranston in the role.. He wins you over very quickly.
I was also unsure about watching Malcolm's dad too. I didn't think he would be believable in anything but that role. I was WRONG.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
OK I started watching it and I guess i'm on the 4th or 5th epi and I do like it. The first episode wasn't great for me but things got better.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
I have the whole series on disk, very much enjoyed it, might watch it all over again, it was pretty good, and the new stuff they are coming out with now pales in comparison.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OK I started watching it and I guess i'm on the 4th or 5th epi and I do like it. The first episode wasn't great for me but things got better.
Enjoy the ride!!!!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
Quote:

And.. What's up with him and Will Ferrell? Two people who apparently have to be filmed in their underwear in everything they do.
Hell, I think it's even funnier to imagine him as Hal instead of Walter White when he's cooking meth.

Wasn't there an episode of MITM when a bunch of older kids cooked meth in the garage?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM

265 posts, read 405,056 times
Default Finally watched Breaking Bad

So, I finally watched the entire series of Breaking Bad. Though I enjoyed it and found it entertaining, I don't think it was as great as the world mad it out to be. That could be due to the fact that I binged watched the entire series on Netflix vs. watching every week when it aired.

But I had some thoughts/questions on the show that kept bugging me as I watched:

- Why did Walt have to cook meth to help his family? Why didn't he just get life insurance? And I'm sure someone like him already had a policy in place
- What was up with his and Jesse's love/hate relationship? One episode he wanted to kill Jesse, and the next he would refuse to work without him. I felt this happening almost every other episode, and it got pretty old. And didn't make much sense to me. For example, why did he want Jesse involved in Gus' operation at the laundry mat? Couldn't he have just stuck with that other assistant (name escapes me for the moment)?
- Why did everyone (Gus, the gang at the end, etc) need Walt and Jesse as cooks so bad? I mean isn't it just a formula anyone could learn? As evident with Jesse picking it up from Walt?

I found Walt to be such an unlikeable character. At least a Don Draper has his flaws, but I find myself still rooting for him. I also wasn't that impressed with Bryan Cranston's performance, and am unsure why it was so Emmy worthy. A lot of scowling and being angry. I thought Jesse and Skylar were great though.

Maybe it's just me and I should've watched it when it originally aired on AMC.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:53 PM

71 posts, read 82,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
But I had some thoughts/questions on the show that kept bugging me as I watched:

- Why did Walt have to cook meth to help his family? Why didn't he just get life insurance? And I'm sure someone like him already had a policy in place
For one, he's a chemistry teacher. I believe in the first episode, he went on a ride-along with his brother-in-law when they busted (Pinkman's) methlab so it was an opportunity to partner up with Pinkman.

Quote:
- What was up with his and Jesse's love/hate relationship? One episode he wanted to kill Jesse, and the next he would refuse to work without him. I felt this happening almost every other episode, and it got pretty old. And didn't make much sense to me. For example, why did he want Jesse involved in Gus' operation at the laundry mat? Couldn't he have just stuck with that other assistant (name escapes me for the moment)?
He trusted Pinkman but Pinkman's a fck-up.

Quote:
- Why did everyone (Gus, the gang at the end, etc) need Walt and Jesse as cooks so bad? I mean isn't it just a formula anyone could learn? As evident with Jesse picking it up from Walt?
Walt's meth is the purest!

Quote:
I found Walt to be such an unlikeable character. At least a Don Draper has his flaws, but I find myself still rooting for him. I also wasn't that impressed with Bryan Cranston's performance, and am unsure why it was so Emmy worthy. A lot of scowling and being angry. I thought Jesse and Skylar were great though.

Maybe it's just me and I should've watched it when it originally aired on AMC.
I found myself cheering for Walt when he was an underdog, a hapless schm-uck trying to make sure his family is taken care of when he's gone. But then he changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV