Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,278,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
There is another reason and I only know that because I googled maened. I don't want to give away too much and I don't know how much the series will disclose about why she wants Sam, but it has to do with the bar. Also, I know that someone said the thing Maryann built was a rip off of the Wicker Man (I haven't seen that movie.), but I wonder if it's supposed to represent a thyrsus.
I know too. I googled my fingers off trying to get the answer. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,139,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I can appreciate a good looking man even though Eric doesn't seem that good looking to me (he's got pink bags under his eyes). But I'm really really sick of He's Hot especially instead of some sort of discourse.
GraceC I don't think its so much I'm taking it too seriously, as I'm commenting on things I like or don't like about the show. That is what this forum is for? We are here to do more than just say "he's hot" right? And I'm an unabashed TV watcher so I do take it a little seriously and that's ok as far as I'm concerned. If you don't care as much that's fine.
It's entertainment. What is there to take seriously? There are so many shows and so many channels that there is something for everyone. As for this forum, we are here to say whatever we please, just as you are. Everyone has free will to skip over posts or change a channel if it gets too campy. Feel free to start your own thread and ban the use of "he's hot".

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,584,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Marianne might have killed the waitress simply because she needed "dinner" for Tara and Eggs and maybe to hurt Sam because he loved the waitress. After the dungeon scene, the "dinner" was the most disgusting. IMHO - Marianne chose Tara because she viewed her as vulnerable, alienated from her mother, and easy to control. Also, she could increase her control of Tara pairing her with Eggs. Maybe Marianne can be killed by the powerful Queen vamp, combined with Sookie's "electricity". A formidable duo. The question remains why does Marianne have to have only Sam for the sacrifice. Is it only because he stole money? I think there's another reason.
OMG the dinner scene was very disturbing. I turned my head a few times and I'm a grown man

Yes, this is why I hate Marianne, she gets off on manipulation and control. Maryann was intrigued by the electricity of Sookie. Hopefully somebody will knock Marianne off soon.

I loved the fact that Tara's mom was there for her inspite of what she may had done to Tara in the past. I was almost in tears.

Can't wait til Sunday or Monday when I do the DVR

Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM

111 posts, read 235,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
It's entertainment. What is there to take seriously? There are so many shows and so many channels that there is something for everyone. As for this forum, we are here to say whatever we please, just as you are. Everyone has free will to skip over posts or change a channel if it gets too campy. Feel free to start your own thread and ban the use of "he's hot".
Why should it bother me if female viewers find the men hot? It's not like I don't enjoy the women on the show!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I can appreciate a good looking man even though Eric doesn't seem that good looking to me (he's got pink bags under his eyes). But I'm really really sick of He's Hot especially instead of some sort of discourse.
Bill has bags under his eyes too. It's the makeup. Eric is so "hot" I don't even notice the bags. Both these guys are "hot" in real life but especially Eric. LOL

Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,584,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Bill has bags under his eyes too. It's the makeup. Eric is so "hot" I don't even notice the bags. Both these guys are "hot" in real life but especially Eric. LOL

LOL@Tigerlily Bill does look old compared to Eric.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,265,490 times
I know that someone said the thing Maryann built was a rip off of the Wicker Man (I haven't seen that movie.), but I wonder if it's supposed to represent a thyrsus.

Quick google and wiki would lead one to believe that they are further mixing up the mythology and using something from Celtic legend, or rather a nod to Wicker man which seemed more Celtic

described human sacrifice among the Celts, only Caesar mentions the wicker man as one of many ways the Druids of Gaul performed sacrifices.[3] Not having witnessed the ritual himself, Caesar reports that some of the Gauls built the effigies out of sticks and placed living men inside, then set them on fire to pay tribute to the gods. Caesar writes that though the Druids generally used thieves and criminals, as they pleased the gods more, they sometimes used innocent men when no delinquents could be found.

While some modern authors like Barry Cunliffe, author of The Ancient Celts are convinced that the Druids practiced human sacrifice[4], others dispute Caesar's accounts as repeating a sensationalistic rumor as propaganda to encourage his supporters back home. By the first century AD, human sacrifice "was a thing of the past" among the Celts.[5] One medieval commentary, the 10th century Commenta Bernensia, states that men were burned in a wooden manikin in sacrifice to Taranis.[6]

a thyrsus (thyrsos) was a staff of giant fennel (Ferula communis) covered with ivy vines and leaves, sometimes wound with taeniae and always topped with a pine cone. Where these emblems were, there was the spirit of Dionysus also.

Doesn't sound right, while related to Dionysus it seems far to benign and tame and nothing in common with a twig man with a human sacrifice inside

Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM

37,827 posts, read 41,161,092 times
Quote:
I know that someone said the thing Maryann built was a rip off of the Wicker Man (I haven't seen that movie.), but I wonder if it's supposed to represent a thyrsus.
If you see the Wicker Man, watch the original one not the remake. This past ep was a bit of a letdown after the two previous ones. It was a little too talky for me...and too Eric-lite and not from a "hot" perspective, either. The vampire organization/government/pecking order interests me and Eric, the leader, interests me.

I feel like they don't know what to do with Lafayette lately and I really like that character. I also like the sheriff (the real sheriff of the town) who I've seen in other things. I'd like to see him more involved.

The character that least interests me is Bill. I don't find him to be attractive and he's kind of short, not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm a shrimp myself. But, I've been brainwashed into thinking the hero needs to be bigger than life and I'm just not buying little Bill to the rescue.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra23 View Post
Why should it bother me if female viewers find the men hot? It's not like I don't enjoy the women on the show!
You and my DH. He's not a regular devotee as am I, but he saw the promo of Tara (as a non vampire) and he said she is very hot.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,751,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The character that least interests me is Bill. I don't find him to be attractive and he's kind of short, not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm a shrimp myself. But, I've been brainwashed into thinking the hero needs to be bigger than life and I'm just not buying little Bill to the rescue.
Yeah, Bill's height, or lack there of, is even more obvious whenever he appears side by side with Eric on any scene. Good thing Anna Paquin doesn't care about that. I simply adore the two of them together, they look so sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV