Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

For the record........... my husband loves me and is always saying he is very glad that I care about my looks and take care of myself, do my hair, makeup and dress nice. And as someone once said in one of our adult sunday school classes, men MUST see their wives naked. They thrive on LOOKS and it doesn't matter if your not supermodel thin you are still their "HOT MAMA" and they need to see you. So I oblige . So if he EVER cheats on me........ I'm gonna make sure I am THE hottest woman around for miles and every man he runs into is going to go on about how "HOT" his wife is. I'm gonna make him soooooo regret that one. Every guy he runs into is going to be hot for me

This is nice,
but I don't think dying of cancer and hot mama are really compatible concepts. Marriage should eventually become a deeper relationship. You don't know if and when either of you will have hormone changes or illness or meds that stifle the 'hot mama' concept. The surface things do change in a marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
What I was wondering about, and only saw part of the show, then tonight on TV they had a picture
of the baby and Edwards. Frankly, if he is the father, it is not the fault of the baby. He also should
stand up and help with the care of the baby, if it is his. Yes, I do feel for her, and she has children, and
is ill, but why go on public TV and with Oprah. Why even did Oprah want this, but for the ratings.
She did say if the baby is his, not her problem, well if the baby is his, does he like all men pay to help
the baby? I do feel the baby has the right to know who the father is, and get to know the father, if that is in the cards. I do guess
John Edwards and politics are out. What would make it somewhat better is to get tested, for being the dad or not! What a mess! Yes he has the responsibility, to stand up, if the child is his, and not hide, as O did say a simple test would tell it all. Some here have mentioned her style, and b4
I did turn if off, I just did wonder, why did she not dress somewhat better? I do think I thought on the O show, if you are a guest, they help you
b4 airtime? All I do know this interview said nothing real, and left lots up in the air?
If you noticed, Oprah did not have her best makeup on, either. I think we are so used to seeing glamour on tv, the BBC seems to often have reporters that look like guys and gals on the street. I love Jack Cafferty and he looks like a dishevelled reporter from the times when the profession was REAL.

I know, I have the same reaction, but then I think 'What's wrong with ME for being so shallow and expecting them to look pleasing for MY eyes? They are their own people. What goes on in their heads is what should matter.'

I have even noticed how much better Hillary is put together now, and wonder why she could not do this when she was running. I'm a superficial bltch sometimes and can kick myself.

You know, men should have these dilemas.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,157,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I'm wondering why any of us really are concerned enough to continue talking about them.
Their 15 minutes should be up.
I watched the Today show and they were talking about how she is starting to feel a backlash against her. I think their 15 minutes was up a while ago. Most people have moved on and don't want to get back into the muck that is this story. However, being a true politician's wife, she will never let a good opportunity to be in the spotlight pass her by.

What I find most interesting about this thread are the people who are trying to make excuses for him by saying it's somehow her fault for "letting herself go" that caused him to cheat. Have you seen photos of Elizabeth before she got sick? She was never a supermodel. She seemed like a nice, down-to-earth, slightly chubby mom and wife. Have you seen the other woman? She's not a supermodel either. The only interview I've seen of her, she had a "I just got out of the gym" hairdo. John is a weasel and he's a cheater. He was going to cheat as soon as he had the opportunity. Men like him don't need to "trade up". He just started to believe that he was invincible and could get away with satisfying his immediate need.

Incidentally, I didn't watch the entire Oprah interview, but Today had a snippet where she said, "except for this one thing (his cheating), I have a perfect marriage." Most of us married folks believe that that "one thing" would mean that your marriage isn't perfect. That's like saying, "my child is a wonderful human being. If he wasn't a meth addict, he would be a great kid."

Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I will sat this again Elizabeth Edwards is dying. She doesn't care about being the Hottest Mama. I 'm sure when she could not feed herself she didn't care if her lipstick was on. I just think that she isn't the usual situation that a lot of you are talking about. I get that she wants something to hold on to. Do you want her to live whatever time she has alone. I 'm sorry people cheat because of them. There are models who husband cheat. The cheater owns the problem. I just not getting the views of what a women has to do to keep a man. What I do with myself makes me feel good and my husband loves me hair combed or not. I will never say to myself Am I hot enough so my husband won't cheat. If a man has the mind set to cheat it isn't going to matter if you just got a perm or have that really hot red dress. Because it isn't about you it is his issue. As far as this child. It is John Edwards issue. He had the sex that might have produced this child it is his responsibility.
I would rep you many times, but the system won'e let me. You are so right here.
Also, I don't really get this blaming the woman thing. When two parties make any sort of pledge together, it is THEY who are responsible. If he broke the contract that they had together, it is HE who is at fault. Who knows what he may have told the other woman?

People have marriages just for show. Some have open marriages. Some stay together for the kids.

No woman, in an ideal world, should EVER see a married man, but we are all far from ideal. The least people can do is not lie to each other.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
It totally escapes me how her appearance would take any importance at all. geez - get real. The fact that she has terminal cancer is swept to the side and clothing rises to the top

My reaction to this interview is this: I have been a hugh fan of Oprah for a long time and this is probably the first time I wanted to reach inside the TV and strangle her. She was cold as ice - she kept asking her pointless questions even when it became clear that Elizabeth was becoming more and more upset. Miss "O" was enjoying it - not at all professional - this was on a more persoanal level. I think it all had to do with Obama (I voted for him so don't even start).

The whole interview made me siick.
I think Liz still has a lot of hostility towards John and wrote the book for revenge(maybe she won't admit that to herself). I think the interview was to stir interest in the book. I think Liz and John both have egos and might be, at this point, a bit manipulative. In an emotional issue I like a reporter who is remote. The piece should highlight the 'interviewee'.

John should have known better, but in the end he's getting screwed. His career is ended, the wife has this book, she's now doing interviews, the baby will probably be proven to be his. Who knows where/how this will end - but it looks as though it may not end well for anyone. I hope the kids have someone to talk to.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In watching this interview, it became obvious why John Edwards strayed. The woman is clueless and self centred.

1a) Elizabeth Edwards lacks any sort of sex appeal or allure....the fact that she admitted that she "couldn't deliver such as line..." ie. calling her husband sexy or saying he is "hot" and flirting with him was pathetic. Men need to get that sort of attention from their women.

1b) Cancer or not cancer...she also admitted that she is typically frumpy. I'm not stating that she needs to wear a hot little outfit EVERYDAY but she needed to give more attention to her appearance, especially for a nationally televised interview. What would she have done if John Edwards had won the White House? She could have had a stylist, makeup artist and hair stylist come to her home to make her presentable for this interview. For her to not do so was just plain sloppy. She looks as if she is the housekeeper and not the wife of a prominent attorney and presidential candidate.
The woman is dying and she should SOMETIMES wear a hot little outfit? You must hang with some very odd people, to believe that. Women AND men often wear their comfort clothing at home. Do we call men frumpy?

Not all men marry for sexual favours. Life has more meaning than that. I know, you are probably of the age where your hormones are going berserk, but please realise that that ends, one way or another.

It is pretty easy to get a sexual partner outside of marriage. To find someone you can trust and talk to sincerely whom you know will stick with you and whom you admire - these are things that are harder to get and either they deepen over time in a marriage (if you've made the right choice) or they do not, in which case the marriage gets bumpy.

Sex does not take top billing in many marriages. It may in yours. It is wrong to assume that it is that important in all of them, or that all men need to be called hot.

There is a fallacy somewhere that women need to flatter a man's ego. Eventually she realises that he is not a knight in shining armour and if he has a brain, he knows he's not. She, invariably, will lose her looks. So, deep inside both eventually awaken to the fact that the flattery that they give each other is a lie. OR if they are dumb they will not realise their own failings and they will search outside the marriage for someone who does not know them as well as the spouse and who will begin the flattery all over again. We know the chemical 'high' that people get from being 'in love' pretty much lasts for 3 years. Relationships based on flattery and ego-boosting compliments usually do not last unless the parties mature out of that sort of thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
but in a forum everyone is going to say how they reacted to it. Their perception. When you began the thread did you expect everyone to see things how you did? To simply agree with you?
You asked-we answered. It's really as simple as that.
Yes, but the point is discussion and debate.

One thing not mentioned - I read the professions of the majority of sociopaths in society are business leaders and politicians.

They are attractive and smart and have a gift for saying what they think you want to hear. There only sense of morality is in how things affect them. They cannot feel another's pain, but study what to do if the occaision arises that they should express that emotion.

Women sometimes attach to that sort of man because he is perceived as a rising star and she is so involved in herself, as well, that they can build a lovely, superficial life together which, to all outward appearances looks like the perfect couple.

Dream, I cannot find the specific thread, but if you read the post, the sociopath concept was referring to politicians and the wives they may choose. I did not mean it for you on a personal level. I don't know you, how could I? Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Last edited by goldengrain; 05-12-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Elizabeth Edwards is not receiving sympathy from the public (and her book isn't selling) because she refuses to accept ANY responsiblit for the issues that existed in her marriage that created a situation where her husband felt the need to step outside of the marriage for something that was lacking.

If her husband was starved for sexual attention, intimacy and affection from his wife, he was going to satisfy that need elsewhere. Why is she not to blame for denying her husband of that? She was NOT making her husband a priority

This obviously started before her cancer battles - she is using her cancer as an excuse and I find that disgusting. She is trying to play the ultimate victim role and is trying to punish her husband publicly.

SHE is lucky that HE didn't leave her years ago.
We don't know.

He could have been an ego-maniac and she knew him for the slime he was. She could have dropped the pretense of hero worship. He could have, needing his diseased ego fed, gone outside the marriage to someone who did not yet know him for what he is and got the sick fawning that he craved from her.

We don't know.

We can speculate, and it has a certain fun about it, but we really don't know.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
In her interview with Oprah, She was inferring that she couldn't deliver "such a line" at all.

She is trying to portray herself as the victim while taking NO responsibility for issues in her marriage. Having cancer does not automatically make her a saint.

She is a mother AND a wife. She neglected her responsibilities to her husband.
Responsibilities go two ways.
Loving your spouse should not be a CHORE.
Years back, when a man brought home the paycheck it seemed an exchange that his wife GAVE him sex.
That was an exchange: people had a bargain, you could make a case for responsibility.
Wives were jokingly referred to as legal prostitutes.

Things have changed.

Women no longer are required by society to be warm blowup dolls for their husband's delight.
Men are no longer expected to carry the bread winning responsibilities.

People form marriages for all sorts of reasons, some of the best of which are character traits that seem to be neglected.

If a person's marriage is based on sex, sure, it will dissolve when there is none.
Hopefully, most of us pick life partners for other reasons.
I agree, that we are animals, but we also have brains. I would think our relationships are based foremost on our better qualities than barnyard frolics, human style.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Let me see if I can remember...

For better, for worse, in sickness and in health.

I don't recall seeing anywhere that one partner gets to jump in someone elses bed when they get an inch that their spouse can't scratch.
Inch ?

No wonder Liz gave up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV