Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

I thought last night's show was interesting because it seems to be starting an arc. The three are up for one tenured position. We don't know if Kripke was also recommended.

This is sitcom land. Sheldon's quirks and antics would never be tolerated in the workplace in real life. And all the "boys" have done awful things that should have gotten them fired. This is sitcom land though.

I don't know where the show will ultimately land but I think the story is really about Leonard. The Penny character was created for him. The others' have women, except for Raj, but their stories aren't as central. I do love all the women characters though.

So, have I missed something? Where did Raj's girlfriend go?

On Sheldon and change, I think there is some inconsistency in his dialogue from time to time. We have him as an innocent then he makes a knowing comment. But essentially he is meant to be a sort of savant. Perhaps he has Aspergers' or some sitcom land sort of condition. Yes he is selfish, but he is entertaining.

If you doubt this, remember when a few drinks at an award ceremony turned him into a horrible nightclub comedian? This was good acting on the part of Jim Parsons, by the way.

And when Sheldon is being his most unappealing, as in the hospital when they were all waiting to hear if Howard's mom had had a heart attack, he gets his comeuppance in a big way.

So far the best episode in the last few months was the one where Howard decided not to open the letter from his dad, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
I think it was pretty funny. The three of them trying to impress Ms. Davis alone was excellent, especially Leonard. Here he wants tenure but can't figure out how to turn the machine on. BTW, Ms. Davis is played by Regina King. She's also a regular on "Southland". Howard's meerkat thing was hysterical, and the entire scene at the memorial service was great!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I suspect that if Sheldon ever does have sex, it will be saved for the final episode of the series.
And THEN he has his big breakthrough about string theory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Also, it was pretty hilarious to hear Raj rant about not being able to get a seat warmer
I just didn't get that at all. He lives in California, not Minnesota! Just how cold does Raj's butt get??

Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times
I did not realize that was Regina King, who played Marla Gibbs daughter in 227. According to her wiki article, she is dating Theo Huxtable.

To add to the family tree, Raj mentioned he had two older siblings in his video.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM

802 posts, read 1,683,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I did not realize that was Regina King, who played Marla Gibbs daughter in 227. According to her wiki article, she is dating Theo Huxtable.

To add to the family tree, Raj mentioned he had two older siblings in his video.
His 90 minute long video

Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
Quote:
Next season might be better than this season, but it is extremely unlikely that the series will return to the quality level it enjoyed years 1-5.

Can you think of any long running series where the best episodes were produced in the seventh year or later? I thought"Friends" had the lowest quality dip of any long term sit com and it still experienced a quality dip in the last few years.

Part of it is creative burnout on the part of everyone involved with the show and part of it is viewer burnout.
Yep, this is the usual spot where good shows tend to decline. Considering all the moving parts of a show, it's completely understandable. It's a tall order to make everything work year in and year out.
I didn't even watch the last 2 seasons of Friends even though I love seasons 1-6. Seasons 7 and 8 were just not very good in my opinion. I disliked 8 so much I quit watching it. I still haven't seen seasons 9 and 10 and don't know how it ends. Kind of shocking considering how well I can quote and just out right know seasons 1-6. I will eventually get around to it though. Scrubs, quit watching after season 5. Thought it took a nose dive after 5.

The only show that I can think of where I really loved the last 2 seasons of a show that has run this long would be Seinfeld. I love seasons 7-9 more than the first 3 seasons. But that is the only exception. I ended up selling my entire Entourage DVD sets because I felt the last 2 or 3 seasons were subpar.

One fallback that sitcoms do that I just hate is the old pregnancy routine. Seems anytime a show is running out of material or plot lines, writers throw in a pregnancy or two. Scrubs and Friends did this. I just don't find the perils of having kids and raising them as funny. Throw in the the same tired predictable jokes and antics and you get one uninterested viewer. I'm worried HIMYM is going to do it with Robin and BBT with Bernadette or Penny. Fingers crossed I'm wrong. Whatever happens, at least it's been a good run.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post

One fallback that sitcoms do that I just hate is the old pregnancy routine. Seems anytime a show is running out of material or plot lines, writers throw in a pregnancy or two. .
Quite right, the other favorite gimmick is a wedding, and of course no sit com wedding ever just comes off as planned, there have to be last minute obstacles which threaten to sink the whole thing.

I think babies and weddings are the two major indicators that a show is now on the far side of the Shark.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
Quote:
Quite right, the other favorite gimmick is a wedding, and of course no sit com wedding ever just comes off as planned, there have to be last minute obstacles which threaten to sink the whole thing.

I think babies and weddings are the two major indicators that a show is now on the far side of the Shark.
Yup! I almost mentioned the wedding thing too but I give a little more leeway on it. But you are absolutely correct.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
Quote:
But maybe they staved off the shark by having that one "flash forward" sequence where Penny and Leonard were getting married, and Penny turned sideways and was very visibly pregnant.

They could always pull the "I don't know whose pregnancy test this is" bit from Friends. At the end of the season, Leonard finds a positive pregnancy test in Penny's bathroom trash, and jumps to all kinds of conclusions and yet another marriage proposal. But the test really belongs to.... the eternally frustrated Amy, who cheated on Sheldon with Penny's ex-boyfriend -- the one that made her go "woo-hoo".

Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
The show is consistantly funny without beibng "cute". I love it when the guys nerd out and dress as their favorite superheroes.

Sheldon's disasterous schmoozing of Ms. Davis was hilarious. He gave her "Roots?" BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV