Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,192 times

Advertisements

Any sitcom show where all the main characters are not married has built-in problems eventually.
BTW, I'm hoping that with TBBT's success they'll eventually come out with another nerdy or at least semi- nerdy show...but NOT anything too close to this show...I hate copycat shows or spinoffs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Any sitcom show where all the main characters are not married has built-in problems eventually.
????

Northern Exposure, 6 seasons.

Seinfeld, 9, seasons.

Friends, 10 seasons.

Fraiser, 11 seasons.

Cheers, 11 seasons.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The show is consistantly funny without beibng "cute". I love it when the guys nerd out and dress as their favorite superheroes.
I don't know what all that angst is about the show is about... BBT is one of the few shows that I can miss the entire first half of an episode and still have a just a fine old time watching. Scene for scene it is one of the best sit-coms that I can remember.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know what all that angst is about the show is about... BBT is one of the few shows that I can miss the entire first half of an episode and still have a just a fine old time watching. Scene for scene it is one of the best sit-coms that I can remember.
Although the first 3 seasons were the best and really made that show , the current one is superior to season 4 and 5 IMO. There were some really weak episodes this year but also some stellar ones_amongst the best ever. By far the funniest sitcom out there.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,192 times
Did I say that there can't ever be long-running shows where all the main characters remain single? Not at all. But once all the main characters reach a certain age but they all still remain single, the show should deal with the fact that most people by that age, are married or have been married. So it could be part of the s/l that all the main characters have some reasons why they don't ever get around to getting married or just don't want to be married. I don't know much about Northern Exposure or Seinfeld. But the other 3 shows definitely had some married main characters at times during their long runs.

Quote:
????

Northern Exposure, 6 seasons.

Seinfeld, 9, seasons.

Friends, 10 seasons.

Fraiser, 11 seasons.

Cheers, 11 seasons.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
But once all the main characters reach a certain age but they all still remain single, the show should deal with the fact that most people by that age, are married or have been married.
Why??? Some schadenfreudean desire for the characters to be as miserable as the rest of us or based upon some weird evangelical christian desire to have more "family oriented" programing? Today 47% of Americans 25 to 29 have never been married and those numbers are climbing and certainly are reflective of audiences in the 80's and 90's when the shows that I listed where aired.

Anyway, Howard and Bernadette are married, problem solved.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Did I say that there can't ever be long-running shows where all the main characters remain single? Not at all. But once all the main characters reach a certain age but they all still remain single, the show should deal with the fact that most people by that age, are married or have been married. So it could be part of the s/l that all the main characters have some reasons why they don't ever get around to getting married or just don't want to be married. I don't know much about Northern Exposure or Seinfeld. But the other 3 shows definitely had some married main characters at times during their long runs.
I actually agree. I think the guys are in an artificial state of arrested development. The show does try to explain this, but I notice that the guys still indulge in games and the buying of s-f toys. Most men grow out of this, and if they incur family obligations, they will have much less money to buy themselves games and toys. Although, as we know, we've all made room in our lives for expensive technology.

This is a sitcom, though, and humor, life events, and the pressure to move on with one's life are not moving at the same rate as they might in real life. But, I do think, the show should begin showing the characters as they move along. Obviously, the show will end when Penny and Leonard get married. But it has to resolve other issues, such as Sheldon's sexual awakening, and Raj's problems with women. It has been demonstrated in several shows that Raj really wants a mate, but he can't seem to make any of the right moves. In real life, some woman would have discovered him and worked to have a relationship. But it doesn't happen on the show.

In the meantime, we get to enjoy the wit, wordplay and hi-jinks of the cast.

I think one of the most entertaining cast members is Simon Helberg. In Howard he has probably found the character of a lifetime. He really makes the most of Howard.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I actually agree. I think the guys are in an artificial state of arrested development. The show does try to explain this, but I notice that the guys still indulge in games and the buying of s-f toys. Most men grow out of this...
Comedy relies on hyper-stereotypification and if you have ever been to Comic-con, a Star Trek Convention, or like myself, shared a dinner table with five Ph.D candidates in the fields of chemistry, cosmology, theoretical physics and material science (for all intents and purposes I was the Penny at the table) you won't find the Big Bang Theory, as a comedy, to be all that far divorced from reality. I KNOW Howards, Rajs, and Leonards, one of whom is my 50 year old brother-in-law whose sense of humor, social graces and interest remain a enigma despite the fact that I have known him for 30 years, two wives and two teenaged children. As for Leonard's egotism and self absorption, I have a 80 plus year old uncle and former chief of internal at a prestigious north eastern medical school who would make Leonard look like the most empathetic and social graceful person to walk the planet. But having said that, I see no point in getting too bogged down in demands for hyper-realism in a situational comedy unless you are the type to turn off a Wile E. Coyote cartoon because UPS doesn't deliver in the middle of the desert.

Last edited by ovcatto; 04-12-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM

If there is any concern about the show getting stale I present two scenes that justified an entire season:

The Big Bang Theory 6x10 - Amy vs. The Flu. - YouTube

Sheldon found out that Amy's not sick- The Big Bang Theory S6x10 - YouTube

Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Quote:
Comedy relies on hyper-stereotypification and if you have ever been to Comic-con, a Star Trek Convention, or like myself, shared a dinner table with five Ph.D candidates in the fields of chemistry, cosmology, theoretical physics and material science (for all intents and purposes I was the Penny at the table) you won't find the Big Bang Theory, as a comedy, to be all that far divorced from reality. I KNOW Howards, Rajs, and Leonards, one of whom is my 50 year old brother-in-law whose sense of humor, social graces and interest remain a enigma despite the fact that I have known him for 30 years, two wives and two teenaged children. As for Leonard's egotism and self absorption, I have a 80 plus year old uncle and former chief of internal at a prestigious north eastern medical school who would make Leonard look like the most empathetic and social graceful person to walk the planet. But having said that, I see no point in getting to bogged down in demands for hyper-realism in a situational comedy unless you are the type to turn off a Wile E. Coyote cartoon because UPS doesn't deliver in the middle of the desert.

Great line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV