Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,390,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
I thought Avril was way out of line to tell the pastor/father that she didn't think he could handle all his responsibilities and be on AI. I thought he sounded pretty good, and I hope he makes it far in the competition since she shot him down. At least the other three judges approved of him. If the contestant thinks they can handle the pressure, who is Lavigne to say otherwise. Singers should be judged on their talent, not on their life responsibilities. (As you can probably tell, I dislike Avril Lavigne--always have--and I don't think she is "judge material." Also, I don't like One-Hit Wonder Katy Perry either. JMHO, though.)
I agree on the Avril thing. If anything, she probably didn't do herself any favors being on the show. And what does a person in her genre (drinking, drugs, raves, all-nighters) know about a guy who would more than likely be singing in the Gospel music world? What I said out loud (to my Chihuahuas) when she said that to him was, "How DARE she?!" That's like, "I'm sorry Carrie Underwood. But even though you have a magnificent voice, you're too much of a small town girl to be able to handle the travel and big city challenges." IMHO if someone like that pastor made the decision along with his family to try out, then he's a grownup and has considered the downsides of winning.

Have to agree on Katy too. Whoa. Doogie Howser was kind of a hoot. Man, there's some deep-seated animosity between him and Simon. They didn't get along for the whole show. Wonder what that's about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,139,904 times
I think the Doogie/simon thing was all about entertaining television....and it worked.....I had hoped that Doogie was the end to the string of wastes for judges....then they brought out the Jonas clone.....

Old 01-28-2010, 11:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
I thought both Katy Perry (whose songs I really don't like) and NPH were awesome as guest judges

I think the "heat" between NPH and Simon was a little edited - i liked the way NPH was direct, confident and gave a fair approach

I think Katy Perry was really good with the contestants - she was also only a little bit rude to Kara - but it's not like she is completely undeserving .... she was coming off pretty phoney and got called on it .... especially the part they didn't highlight when she was mocking the contestant who was on the ground and katy asked her if she was talking to the contestant or speaking to a dog

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,621,194 times
I think that Avril meant that being a pastor isn't conducive to the life or life style of a touring idol/pop star, and I'd agree in that respect. He'd have to choose between the two. Either he continues to pastor, or he tours as a singer.
Hopefully his goal is to have a gospel career so that he can mesh the two, but that's not what Idol is looking for.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,598,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I think that Avril meant that being a pastor isn't conducive to the life or life style of a touring idol/pop star, and I'd agree in that respect. He'd have to choose between the two. Either he continues to pastor, or he tours as a singer.
Hopefully his goal is to have a gospel career so that he can mesh the two, but that's not what Idol is looking for.
It's not like he was the first AI contestant that came from a church / Christian music background. Here is another example, and he managed to make it work, and finished 3rd in the 8th season AI lineup:

Danny Gokey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,198,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I, too, figure that's what she meant but I don't agree that it was her place to decide whether he could or should pursue this based on his background. What he does with that portion of his life is his business. If he has the talent and ability/appearance, etc., then it should be his choice.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,562,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I agree on the Avril thing. If anything, she probably didn't do herself any favors being on the show. And what does a person in her genre (drinking, drugs, raves, all-nighters) know about a guy who would more than likely be singing in the Gospel music world? What I said out loud (to my Chihuahuas) when she said that to him was, "How DARE she?!" That's like, "I'm sorry Carrie Underwood. But even though you have a magnificent voice, you're too much of a small town girl to be able to handle the travel and big city challenges." IMHO if someone like that pastor made the decision along with his family to try out, then he's a grownup and has considered the downsides of winning.

Have to agree on Katy too. Whoa. Doogie Howser was kind of a hoot. Man, there's some deep-seated animosity between him and Simon. They didn't get along for the whole show. Wonder what that's about?
Pretty sure Avril was discovered singing in her church choir.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,716,582 times
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get everyone saying all the guest judges are b itches. I mean, if these people are deluded enough to think they can sing, and their friends and family don't love/like them enough to set them straight, then that's on them. If someone like William Hung gets up there, a judge should just sit there w/ a straight face and say no? pffft. Laugh away, these folks know what auditioning for Idol is all about when they get in the line.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,550,005 times
So that Spice person was on again last night....
My co-worker and I were talking and I truly think during her time on Idol is the only time I've seen any expression on her face....at all. She actually comes off quite nice.

Kara was quiet....hmmmmm

A couple went thru that I didn't think should...like the guy that Kara made undress and the 16yo who's young sister sucked up to the judges.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 AM

72 posts, read 100,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get everyone saying all the guest judges are b itches. I mean, if these people are deluded enough to think they can sing, and their friends and family don't love/like them enough to set them straight, then that's on them. If someone like William Hung gets up there, a judge should just sit there w/ a straight face and say no? pffft. Laugh away, these folks know what auditioning for Idol is all about when they get in the line.

Then again, some guest judges have performed in the business and also know what it takes to make it work. Sometimes, they just can't mince words. But when a contestant doesn't have it, then they just don't have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV